Old newbie help!

Search This thread

richuu

Dec 10, 2007
Hi all,

It's been a long, long while since I tinkered with roms, I think my last one was either a Samsung Galaxy Tab (the original one!) or an HTC Sensation.

So I've recently acquired a Note 4 n910F and can't stand all of the Samsung bloatware, and I'd like a newer version of android for compatibility with newer apps.

So remind me... What does 'stock' mean? Is this as Samsung intended, or as android intended? I'd just like a vanilla as possible android experience that works well.

Help please!

kevintm78

Hi all,

It's been a long, long while since I tinkered with roms, I think my last one was either a Samsung Galaxy Tab (the original one!) or an HTC Sensation.

So I've recently acquired a Note 4 n910F and can't stand all of the Samsung bloatware, and I'd like a newer version of android for compatibility with newer apps.

So remind me... What does 'stock' mean? Is this as Samsung intended, or as android intended? I'd just like a vanilla as possible android experience that works well.

Help please!
Hey! I don't know if you've already found your answers but I thought I would respond in case you haven't.

In almost every reference you see in this section of xda "stock" is referring to the TouchWiz OS that Samsung phones are shipped with.

True android stock is referred to as "vanilla" like you said.

I use a different model Note 4 than you have but from what I've read it's fairly easy to flash TWRP (custom recovery) on the F model via Odin and from there you can pick from whichever rom suits you. Just be sure you're in the Snapdragon section. There are many different models of the Note 4 and some of them have a different processor called Exynos. The roms are processor specific and you can only use the ones built for your type which is the Snapdragon processor.

One other thing I wound suggest, because of the different variants of the F model, is to take notice of your CSC code. Once you start flashing other roms it may be hard to track down the original code. Use this app to see what it is and that way you can flash the appropriate modem file (or if you need to reflash your stock firmware) instead of just using whichever modem file is provided in the OP of the rom you're flashing. There are many different variants of the F model with many different country codes, just remember that just because the firmware has a newer release date doesn't mean it's the correct version.

TWRP- Found here
Samsung USB drivers for Windows. Needed to connect your phone to your PC- Found here
Odin download- Found here
Development section for Snapdragon- Found here

richuu

Dec 10, 2007
Fantastic response, thank you. I think I'd like to do without TouchWiz... Pretty much all of my previous phones have been HTC, which either had the HTC skin over it, which was fairly unobtrusive, or barely anything at all. The current version of android and TW on the note 4 is messy.