Oleophobic coating DIY

Search This thread

Ussy

Jan 12, 2011
London
Thanks for the heads up guys. Ordered myself some Turtle Wax Ice Liquid Polish. Looking forward to trying this out.

Do you reckon I can get away with waxing but keeping both the anti-shatter film and Sony supplied screen protector on?

Sent from my C6603 using xda premium

G1_enthusiast

Oct 11, 2009
Thanks for the heads up guys. Ordered myself some Turtle Wax Ice Liquid Polish. Looking forward to trying this out.

Do you reckon I can get away with waxing but keeping both the anti-shatter film and Sony supplied screen protector on?

if anything it keep the fingerprint out....

Ussy

Jan 12, 2011
London
Glad to see a post about this!

Today I got some turtle wax Ice liquid polish - same results as you, screen is super, super smooth - and no fingerprints. It's like having an oleophobic coating applied.
I'm impressed. I was going to get a glas.t - but now I'm not so sure I need it.

The front glass is dragontrail - not exactly easy to scratch / smash.

How did you apply it? I'm still getting fingerprints on my bare glass screen.

I did as the instructions recommended: first use the blue sponge to apply, wait 5-10 mins then rub with blue cloth. Did a few coatings.

tohfhu

Oct 15, 2011
I haven't really removed the anti-shatter glass film, would this still work with the film?

Sent from my C6603 using xda app-developers app

vibecatalin

Jul 6, 2008
I've only found anti rain solutions here where I live, so I guess no luck for me :). I have one bottle of Aquapel but I will use it on my car, maybe of what is left I will give it a try on my phone

iserlohn

Dec 21, 2007
So I should look for a wax stuff?

Yes, I used some Simoniz carnauba wax. Just put it on, wait for it to dry and then buff off. The fingerprints are much less noticeable and it wipes off a lot easier. I did it on the front screen protector and left the back as it is. You can tell the difference very easily that way. Not sure how long it last, but should be good for a month at least.

The screen has a much smoother feel and the fingers just glides over the screen. I guess any carnauba wax would work.

Last edited:
Reactions: vibecatalin

Pimpmark

Dec 30, 2010
How did you apply it? I'm still getting fingerprints on my bare glass screen.

I did as the instructions recommended: first use the blue sponge to apply, wait 5-10 mins then rub with blue cloth. Did a few coatings.

Turtle wax didnt work for me as well, the fingerprints came back pretty fast. Any additional steps that I should take when buffing or applying the wax?

Aeroplane

Dec 23, 2011
Careful with your experimenting....!

Make sure the waxes and polishes you use are 100% NON-ABRASSIVE !

Those 2-step cleaning process with 2 separate bottles or jars scare me because the first/second steps of the 2 or even 3 step cleaning process usually has the abrassive stuff in it.

Careful, read the product label, front and back, and make sure you only use 100% NON ABRASSIVE wax or polish.

Take care.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    As some of fellow SXZ owners I have removed both front and back factory antishatter films as they were dust and scratch magnets. I was enjoying the improved clarity of the screen and premium look of the phone, but the only thing I was missing was the oleophobic coating. Well, I have ordered GLAS.t Slim, but it it will take some time to arrive, so I decided to experiment. While in the supermarket, I just sprayed a coat of some random nanotech spray car wax on the screen and buffed it with a microfiber cloth. Also I have cleaned the screen first with some glass cleaner. Well, guess what. I now have an oleophobic coating on my naked SXZ! Finger glides perfectly on the screen, prints are very easy to wipe even on jeans and smudges don't appear as easy. So I would suggest the following procedure to get a fully working durable oleophobic coating on our SXZs:
    1. Use a good glass cleaner spray to thoroughly clean the screen
    2. Spray a coat of nanotech car wax (comes in a spray bottle and advertises a protective coating), buff with a microfiber cloth while it's wet. Repeat 3-5 times.
    3. Enjoy!

Will have yet to figure the best car wax brand for the purpose of creating a lasting and durable oleophobic coating, but for now this random stuff works wonders. Will probably buy a bottle next time I'm in the store. Will use it on my car too. ;) It's like $3 smth.

Please post what had worked best for you.

Oh, and DISCLAIMER: I will not be held responsible for any damages you do to your phone while trying this suggested method. Proceed with caution AT YOUR OWN RISK!
    Abt 2 weeks for now. I did not post here right away...

Just FGOS and FYI i'd like to say that the coating i did is still there with no additional application and no decline in effect... this makes it abt 2+ months since i applied
    Glad to see a post about this!

Today I got some turtle wax Ice liquid polish - same results as you, screen is super, super smooth - and no fingerprints. It's like having an oleophobic coating applied.
    I'm impressed. I was going to get a glas.t - but now I'm not so sure I need it.

The front glass is dragontrail - not exactly easy to scratch / smash.
    Aha! As a car geek I have TONS of this stuff in the garage! Going to give it a try later.

I will, however, try it on top of the screen protector - no amount of spray wax will stop scratches.
    Good luck trying to scratch dragon trail or gorilla glass unless you're really trying to!

Sent from my C6603 using xda app-developers app