Onda V116w Android 4.4.4 / Windows 8.1 Pro 11.6" Dual boot tablet

Search This thread

Hendrickson

Aug 24, 2008
Denia, Spain
www.youtube.com
I've just recently received my Onda v116w from China, it's another dual boot Windows and Android tablet from them, that has the following specs:

Key features:
  • 1920 x 1080 IPS 11.6" display
  • Atom z3736F 2.16 Ghz (boost) quadcore CPU
  • 2GB of Ram
  • It's got a 64GB eMMC drive, mines a Hynix, aprox 170 read and 70 write,
  • USB 2.0 port, full sized for once.
  • Keyboard dock (sold separately :()
  • Windows 8.1 Pro
  • 3G sim card support

I'm still waiting on word from sellers when the keyboard dock will be available, so far it seems Onda having released it or there are supply issues.

So far, my first impressions are:
It's a 21:9 screen I think, it more widescreen than I'm use to seeing, so I don't think it's 16:9 good ratio for movies, not the greatest for the web. It's wider than my Surface Pro 3 even, but not as high of course. Nice 2.0 port is a nice addition. The IPS panel on my unit is very bright and with good view angles and colors. It is brighter than most Chinese tabelts I have tested in this price range. It looks similar to a Surface 2 and even more like a Dell Venue 11 Pro.

Windows it ships with is Windows 8.1 Pro, Yes, it's windows pro and not bing. I'm surprised at this move. Thumbs up to Onda for not using the cheap Bing version. There seems to be no dual boot selector on boot or when holding volume up (Unlike the Onda v919) Like other

Onda Android rom's its quite light compared to others, only 3-4 bloat apps. DPI setting could be improved, text in Android looks blurry. And yes, Play Store is working, but you have to reboot after first signing in and then to accept T&C it will then work.

The build quality is plasticy a soft matte plastic on the rear and it's a finger print and smudge nightmare. Like other Onda units it comes with a screen protector already on it the screen. The internal components and build is not bad at all, but there are a few creaks here and there when handling it.

I have managed to hit 74 degrees on the unit according to HWinfo, this a bit warmer than some other Z3637F tablets. Could be down to some Windows maintenance that was running, I will investigate this further.

You can charge it via micro usb (Slower) OR via the DC plug.

Video:

Here are a quick few videos of it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDE3-Sb3TiI&index=2&list=PLVJ5yuUCk8wC26fuHNdxfx1PUpPGxv_Ur (Unboxing and hands on with a benchmarks) And for those that like to see the insides of these tablets: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaShFzTzN4Q&index=1&list=PLVJ5yuUCk8wC26fuHNdxfx1PUpPGxv_Ur

Internal photos:

Last edited:

ShizukoZ

May 11, 2014
I was going to buy a teclast X98 3G, but after seeing that Onda I decided to wait,
i will wait even more to see your comments about battery life, that temperature issue and Gaming!

Thanks for your help man ;)

aloialone

Nov 19, 2011
Battery life is very important for me too. Ill wait your opinion about battery and general use and then ill order.

mzabu

Aug 29, 2008
Hi

Did you try WiDi on this tablet? I try with my LG LM6700 TV but unable to connect.

xneo1

Apr 8, 2009
Because of the Windows 8.1 with Bing and Language problem,I installed windows 8.1pro and removed (deleted)the partitions (including the one with the android)
as it wasn't booting to android after install windows 8.1pro from scratch.

My question:Is there a chance that I can install android with dual boot WITHOUT touching the windows 8.1pro installation?
I don't want to use Bluestacks or android emulator just to have the DualOs but with my windows 8.1pro.
Is there a source for android for x86 Intel Bay trail that could be accessible from the windows 8.1 pro boot configuration,for example?

tulipo

Jun 8, 2011
Because of the Windows 8.1 with Bing and Language problem,I installed windows 8.1pro and removed (deleted)the partitions (including the one with the android)
as it wasn't booting to android after install windows 8.1pro from scratch.

My question:Is there a chance that I can install android with dual boot WITHOUT touching the windows 8.1pro installation?
I don't want to use Bluestacks or android emulator just to have the DualOs but with my windows 8.1pro.
Is there a source for android for x86 Intel Bay trail that could be accessible from the windows 8.1 pro boot configuration,for example?

Hi how do you install win 8 pro ???? Can you point me in the right direction??????? Thanks....

ajmdrh

Jul 20, 2010
Katrineholm
onda v166w chinese windows

Hi !

How could You install w 8.1 ?
I tried to change the language, but i could not do that, it fails every time.
I would like to install a new windows, but i can not boot from external usb device.
Can You help me, how install another windows ?

sincerelly

Janos Marczis, Sweden

tulipo

Jun 8, 2011
Hi you have to make an USB key with the tool called rufus. And select from the option to create a gpt partition forma uefi boot. You can boot almost anything from an ISO image. Don't forget to download the driver from onda forum or you will have a big problem without driver. Installing windows you will lose android partition.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I've just recently received my Onda v116w from China, it's another dual boot Windows and Android tablet from them, that has the following specs:

Key features:
    • 1920 x 1080 IPS 11.6" display
    • Atom z3736F 2.16 Ghz (boost) quadcore CPU
    • 2GB of Ram
    • It's got a 64GB eMMC drive, mines a Hynix, aprox 170 read and 70 write,
    • USB 2.0 port, full sized for once.
    • Keyboard dock (sold separately :()
    • Windows 8.1 Pro
    • 3G sim card support

I'm still waiting on word from sellers when the keyboard dock will be available, so far it seems Onda having released it or there are supply issues.

So far, my first impressions are:
    It's a 21:9 screen I think, it more widescreen than I'm use to seeing, so I don't think it's 16:9 good ratio for movies, not the greatest for the web. It's wider than my Surface Pro 3 even, but not as high of course. Nice 2.0 port is a nice addition. The IPS panel on my unit is very bright and with good view angles and colors. It is brighter than most Chinese tabelts I have tested in this price range. It looks similar to a Surface 2 and even more like a Dell Venue 11 Pro.

Windows it ships with is Windows 8.1 Pro, Yes, it's windows pro and not bing. I'm surprised at this move. Thumbs up to Onda for not using the cheap Bing version. There seems to be no dual boot selector on boot or when holding volume up (Unlike the Onda v919) Like other

Onda Android rom's its quite light compared to others, only 3-4 bloat apps. DPI setting could be improved, text in Android looks blurry. And yes, Play Store is working, but you have to reboot after first signing in and then to accept T&C it will then work.

The build quality is plasticy a soft matte plastic on the rear and it's a finger print and smudge nightmare. Like other Onda units it comes with a screen protector already on it the screen. The internal components and build is not bad at all, but there are a few creaks here and there when handling it.

I have managed to hit 74 degrees on the unit according to HWinfo, this a bit warmer than some other Z3637F tablets. Could be down to some Windows maintenance that was running, I will investigate this further.

You can charge it via micro usb (Slower) OR via the DC plug.

Video:

Here are a quick few videos of it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDE3-Sb3TiI&index=2&list=PLVJ5yuUCk8wC26fuHNdxfx1PUpPGxv_Ur (Unboxing and hands on with a benchmarks) And for those that like to see the insides of these tablets: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaShFzTzN4Q&index=1&list=PLVJ5yuUCk8wC26fuHNdxfx1PUpPGxv_Ur

Internal photos: