Onda V972 Allwinner A31 Quad Core 9.7inch Retina IPS Screen Dual Camera Tablet PC

Search This thread

Dvalin21

Nov 2, 2010
OKC
@Arc,

Found this over at androidtablets.net. Maybe this can help as far as getting Custom Recovery/Boot dumped? Tragidy is spear heading the project for the Novo 9

Tragidy A31 ROM Pre-alpha 07332

With the co-operation of AllWinner and the developer of the unix tools we are now able to dump the rom.
( reference; tragidy bug found and corrected --> https://github.com/Ithamar/awutils/issues/2 )

Stock ROM vs Tragidy ROM initial results

Stock Quadrant 1.0ghz : 2810
Stock Quadrant 1.2ghz : 3041
Stock Quadrant 1.2ghz PREF : 3201

TRAGiC Quadrant 1.0ghz : 3106
TRAGiC Quadrant 1.10ghz : 3206
TRAGiC Quadrant 1.2ghz PREF : 3701

Inital results show that the tablets kernel can clock toc 1248mhz max without locking, 1200 also locks up after time, 1157 is stable over 24hour testing so we want to use this for the rom's stock clock which will give an out of the box 3200~ + rated tablet without any intervention of the user, however as this project has just begun and there are only a handful of developers working on this at the moment so it will take time to get a public beta out there, we will however host a private alpha at one point in time before beta.

We have flashed our image to a NOVA 10.1 and MOMO20 10.1 showing two confirmed working devices at this point.

Reactions: ankar84

arctablet

Jul 27, 2011
www.arctablet.com
Arctablet, we really appreciate the work you've done, hope to see you do more with this in the future. Just wanted to ask you what future upgrades or tweaks will you be making with this rom? Not sure if Onda even released a source code for the tablet or not. But I know your greatest task would be trying to figure out how to enable the power management chip. After that being able to scale the ghz of the cpu, keeping it from idling at 1ghz and ocing it to 1.2 or higher.

PS: It would be awesome if anyone would post a video review of the custom firmware. Thanks :)

I don't have exact plans for the future. This first firmware is just a good occasion to get familiar with Allwinner stuff; At least, I'll keep custom firmwares updated with Onda releases and may include other tweaks to make the firmware more efficient in the future, but at the moment I can't tell about deeper changes that may require the source code.

Cheers.

skippie17700

Apr 5, 2008
about to receive my onda v972 by next week i suppose :)

got the 3 firmwares to install ready : 1.02 - 1.2 - 1.32

So after installing them 3 i just need to install your image on top of the original 1.32 and then my device is rooted ?

nick789uk

Oct 31, 2008
new user

Hi
Have bought the Onda v972 and had a few niggles at first with the screen freezing managed to do a factory reset though recovery mode and changed the laucher to Nova seems to behaving its self now, been reading that there is a new firmware 1.3 using 1.2 which came with the tab how do you load this onto the tab any help thanks.

nick

robmich

Dec 3, 2010
Totally Bricked

Can anyone help with the process to unbrick my V972. I tried to go to 1.32 and I must have touched the goofy power button. Now it will not fire up at all. Just a black screen. No matter what combo of buttons I push, hold, etc. Nothing seems to recognize it when i plug in USB.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Rob

diquan2001

Oct 2, 2010
Hoofddorp
kasty-onda_v972-41-v132 Pack

Hi Guys ,

I still have not seen much reviews from user that have installed this kasty-onda_v972-41-v132-rooted pack ??
I only seen 1 user that mentioned that the package does not fully remove the chinese apps and also that google play does not work 100%.
Is there anyone that can confirm this ??

natkingcole

Jun 3, 2012
folks, some more effort pls. don't ask the same questions again and again. Just read through some pages and you will get helpful posts.
Arctablet posted a link to his website where fast mirrors of firmwares are waiting for you.
In case you are @v1.02 or lower:
Flash v1.2 first and then v1.32. You can not jump from v1.0 to v1.32 directly.

Phoenixsuite is inside the rar packages of the firmwares. Instructions of how to flash were posted already.

Last edited:

Cracksoldier

Apr 23, 2011
Is there a a way to flash the firmware 1.32 via the "Update" app as a local update because if i try to find the online update function it says that there is no new version.

Best Regards

Last edited:

Dvalin21

Nov 2, 2010
OKC
Full Market Access

Here is all the XML files copy these to system/etc/permissions/
Also in you build prop change manufacturer to samsung.
This setup has worked on all my devices. i am able to see and install all apps including tune in radio. Remember to*chmod the XML files with rw-r-r also when you save build.prop rw-r-r or you will have problems like SoD and more
(For those of you who have root explorer, simply use it to change the permissions)...
Credit goes to assmunche at androidtablets.net

Attachments

• xmlfiles.zip
    31.4 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
Reactions: ankar84

loco6

Nov 8, 2007
Hallo

After root my onda v972 (1.02), i loose my chinise apps and the important i can't update with Phoenix ( seems to start the update but never begin) and with ota ( installation abord ). i have done the process with

root keeper but nothing.

somebody help me please, thanks

KnieveI

Jul 27, 2012
Oslo
Hi Guys ,

I still have not seen much reviews from user that have installed this kasty-onda_v972-41-v132-rooted pack ??
I only seen 1 user that mentioned that the package does not fully remove the chinese apps and also that google play does not work 100%.
Is there anyone that can confirm this ??

I have tried kasty-onda v132 rooted. It is so much better. No lag in appdrawer, very fluent.
Can get Chrome etc from google play store again. All chinese apps gone.

But i cant write to system with root explorer. Anybody know how gain write permission for system ?
Thanks.
KnieveI

Dvalin21

Nov 2, 2010
OKC
Someone earlier, (sorry can't remember if it was on this forum or the next) but they had asked the question why not use the update app that is already installed on tablet? Same app used to upgrade and install root? This seem like it would be so much easier if we could figure out exactly how that works.

Cracksoldier

Apr 23, 2011
I have an issue with the widgets on my home screen every time i connect through USB the Tab delets all my widgets?
Is there any fix avaiable for this or any workarounds? I have version 1.32 with root.

Best Regards

Last edited:

johnOndaV972

Feb 7, 2013
I have made a number of attempts with a view to flashing firmware by using PhoenixSuit but was not successful. In many occasions device driver was not properly installed (either Unknown Device in Device Manager or an exclamation mark before USB Device (VID_1f3a_PID_efe8) in Device Manager. In other occasions when device driver was properly installed as shown in Device Manager and flashing instructions were followed, PhoenixSuit claimed that "No Device attached yet".

Any help will be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

I had the same problem but fixed it now. I was trying to go from V1.2 to V1.32 but I read somewhere (can't find link now) that you have to go to V1.21 first (not easy to find). It's not even on their own site "ondaDOTcn/Support/Search.aspx?keyword=v972"

Finally found it here "wwwDOTslatedroidDOTcom/topic/42136-quad-core-onda-v972/page__st__300" and flashed that and V1.32 in 10 minutes. easy :laugh:

loco6

Nov 8, 2007
hi
when i try to update my rooted onda v972 from 1.02 with OTA or with phonenix i have this problem

assert failed: apply_patch_check("/system/app/LinkWidget.apk", "819b34b66335c6faec86404d736a002b8871600", "9d6b55e63b0bf20bea433fb1ee7089f88ab73fb6")
Installation aborted.

Please somebody help me, thanks

Last edited:

pk76

Dec 26, 2011
Prague - Czech Republic
I have problem too :confused: I got tablet from my friend and i think its bricked. Cant power on and without reaction on charger. I used PhoenixSuit, but it always stuck at 5% and after 40 minutes ends with nonreadable message. I tried use v1.21 and v1.31 firmware but without success. Drivers are installed properly. Any advice?

msav

Jan 14, 2011
I have an issue with the widgets on my home screen every time i connect through USB the Tab delets all my widgets?
Is there any fix avaiable for this or any workarounds? I have version 1.32 with root.

Best Regards

do they comeback after you disconnect usb.

this sounds normal to me because the tablet cannot access scard and extsd when mounted to your computer.

if they stay gone after unmounting from your computer then you have a problem.

Nebukadneza2

Dec 17, 2012
Hello,

i have just yesterday got my onda v972, and after using it a few hours and shutting it down (completely), trying to boot it again, i seem caught in a kind of bootloop. When starting i see the quadcore logo, then the onda logo, and the onda-logo stays on indefinitely. Even after ~20 minutes, it doesn't boot ;/. Now, i've read around this thread and recognized that it seems that people do boot (stock?!?) recoveries up on this thing. The closest i've gotten to is using the homebutton-then-usb-then-5-power-presses trick to make it be recognized as a USB device on the computer ... it just isn't a ADB device, or anything else. I've read about this phoenix suite here ... is that the same as that nokia service suite?!

This is all a bit unclear to me ;(. If anyone could clearfiy to me: Whether phoenix is nokias phoenix || how to boot a (stock?!) recovery -- i'd be really REALLY glad!

Thanks!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Updated collection of Onda V972 ROMs

Official ROMs

Version 1.35
    Download: Official Site | Mega | Ya.Disk
    Release date: March 9, 2013
    Size: 298 MB
    Description:
    - Improved stability of the system
    - Improved file system mount options
    - Space for the application restored to 2 GB
    - Improvements in the function of OTA updates
    - Fixes an issue in which some device is not held firmware

Version 1.33
    Release date: February 28, 2013
    Size: 296 MB
    Description:
    - Comes with a Root-rights, set SuperSU. from Market
    - Improved system stability, bug fixes
    - Solved the problem in the application noise Wechat 4.5 Talking
    - Fixed a problem with the applications listed in section 2 GB?
    - Fixed update OTA
    - Fixed a problem installing the firmware on some Soup
    - Improved audio settings, equalizer settings - Bass Boost and 3D-effect

Version 1.32
    Release Date: 5 of February 2013
    Size: 293 MB
    Description:
    - No Root
    - Improved system stability, bug fixes
    - Updated the Camera application
    - The function of the burst in the Camera application with setting 10 \ s
    - Improved settings display \ color
    - Added intellectual illumination
    - Removed the ability to shoot 1080P video back camera
    - Removed the ability to charge via USB when connected to PC

Version 1.21
    Release Date: 4 of February 2013 (Now that ROM remowed from Official Site, but still on fileshare)
    Size: 342 MB
    Description:
    - No Root
    - Improved system stability, some bug fixes

Version 1.2
    Release Date: 16 of January 2013
    Size: 296 MB
    Description:
    - No Root
    - Fixed a problem with the front camera, when it was 0.3 megapixels instead of 2.0
    - Improvements in the interface and application icons
    - Improving the quality of photos
    - Added the ability to shoot back camera 1080P video
    - Improved system response
    - Increased stability of the system

Version 1.1 Beta
    Download: Mega | Ya.Disk
    Release Date: 12 of January 2013 (Now deleted from site and fileshare)
    Size: 301 MB
    Description:
    - Comes with a Root
    - Fixed a problem with the front camera, when it was 0.3 megapixels instead of 2.0
    - Improved quality of photos
    - Added the ability to shoot back camera 1080P video
    - Improved system response

Version 1.02
    Release Date: 31 of December 2012
    Size: 274 MB
    Description:
    - Comes with a Root-rights
    - At the moment is not relevant

Custom ROMs

Kasty Onda v972 41 v135 rooted
    This custom firmware is based on the official firmware version 1.35
    Release Date: March 9, 2013
    Size: 264 MB
    Key features:
    - Comes with a Root-rights, SuperSU 1.25 (free version)
    - The default language is English
    - Removed the majority of Chinese and unnecessary applications
    - Improved compatibility of applications in Google Play
    - Added ArcTools application for easy installation CWM recovery

Kasty Onda v972 41 v133 rooted
    This custom firmware is based on the official firmware version 1.33
    Release Date: March 1, 2013
    Size: 261 MB
    Key features:
    - Comes with a Root-rights, SuperSU 1.20 (free version)
    - The language of the default English
    - Removed the majority of Chinese and unnecessary applications
    - Improved compatibility of applications in Google Play
    This firmware is available for applications 2 GB (section / data)

Kasty Onda v972 41 v132 rooted
    Download: Arctablet Site | Mega
    Release Date: 7 of February 2013
    Size: 260 MB
    Description:
    - Root with latest SuperSU 1.04 (free version)
    - System default setup English
    - Removed most Chinese and unnecessary applications
    - Google Play Store fixes so more application are visible/compatible

Lost World 1.2
    Download: Mega | Baidu
    Release Date: March 12, 2013
    Size: 239 MB
    Description:
    - Based on the official firmware version 1.35

Canary Rom v1.0 by Nuazet
    Download:Mega | Uploaded
    Release Date: March 17, 2013
    Size: 278 MB
    Description:
    - Deodexed
    - Zipaligned
    - The core is stock
    - Performance Improvements
    - Changes in the speed and stability
    - Changes in energy saving
    - Improved sound and Sony xLOUD CLEARBASS
    - Removed Chinese applications
    - The stock Launcher and Nova Launcher
    - Changed Butanimatsiya
    - Multiple skins

SuperNova 3.1
    Release Date: March 13, 2013
    Size: 280 MB
    Key Features:
    - Deodexed
    - Zipaligned
    - Installing apps from the folder data / app
    - Supports startup scripts
    - Tweaks build.prop:
    * Improved system for WiFi connection
    * Initial Configuration Menu
    * Improved memory management
    * Changes in the file Platform.xml, to allow the record to MicroSD
    * DPI to 264 for display
    * Change the permissions required for compatibility of some applications to Play Market
    * Improved video playback: continuous recording 1080p
    * Disable some acceleration features 3D GPU, for all applications that do not need to increase the autonomy
    Removed regular launcher because of its instability

SuperNova 3.0
    Release Date: March 9, 2013
    Size: 280 MB
    Key Features:
    - Deodexed
    - Zipaligned
    - Tweaks build.prop:
    * DPI to 264 for display
    * Change the permissions required for compatibility of some applications to Play Market
    * Disable some acceleration features 3D GPU, for all applications that do not need to increase the autonomy
    * Removed regular launcher because of its instability

SuperNova 2.0
    Release Date: March 2, 2013
    Size: 282 MB
    Key Features:
    - Based on the official firmware version 1.33
    - Deodeksirovana
    - Zip-optimized
    - Tweaks build.prop:
    * DPI to 264 for display

SuperNova 1.0
    Download: Mega | GDrive | Ya.Disk
    Release Date: 15 of February 2013
    Size: 343 MB
    - Based on the official firmware version 1.32
    - Deodex
    - Installed as a zip-archive
    - Changed Build.prop: The device is identified as a Nexus 7 in Google Play Market
    - Improved Wi-Fi subsystem
    - By default selected Spanish language
    - Improved memory management
    - Returned to the ability to record video in 1080p

ROOTs:

ROOT_Core4 - First Chinese ROOT for Device
    ROOT_Limpieza_Logo_V3 - This script, created by the Spanish user in the vast htcmania not only ROOT device, but also removes the (retaining a backup) Chinese application, and also sets the Nova Launcher. And also changes Boot Animation.
    ROOT_Limpieza_Logo_V3.1 - Like not replace standard launcher, only install Nova, also removes icons of Chinese applications from the desktop, as they start up with some errors.
    Onda_Allwinner_A31_root_v1_0 - Script from arctablet, alteration of the previous (not install Nova and do not change the boot animation).

Recovery:

CWM Recovery Onda v971 and V972 - The first version of the most famous modified porting recovery giving far more opportunities than with the stock. It has a problems with 32GB versions. How to install .
    ROM list updated!

Updated a ROMs list with new official and custom ROMS. Add a Mega and Ya.Disk mirrors for every ROM.
    imgRePacker

I added support for PhoenixSuite image forrmat into imgRePacker (2.03)
    Okay guys a quick update. Not sure, if I should be posting it here but I will still go ahead as we dont have a dedicated development thread yet.

So last night I studied the partitions, extracted the stock recovery img and tried to build cwm recovery from the cwm online builder. I pushed it on to the recovery partition, and rebooted into recovery. Finally I did manage to get the cwm recovery interface but too bad it did not recognize my partitions. Worse, I ended up bricking my device as it went in cwm loop and on every restart I just got cwm with no keys working. :crying:

Luckily I knew that Allwinner A31 is almost brick free because the Installation suite doesn't rely on recovery and use flash mode to install firmware. So I am up and running again. I just repartioned to be sure. :good::good:

I'll keep going. I realize now that the A10 also has similar paritions structure, maybe I could get help from there. For anyone interested I am attaching the recovery.fstab which u can refer to extarct images using dd command.

PM me or write here if anyone needs the recovery or boot images. I already have then extracted. Sorry for the long post.
    There is just one thing thats been bothering me. How we supposed to use CWM even if we get it working with just two keys on the tablet? Maybe I should directly try cwm touch.

Thanks. I'll keep you guys posted.
    onda has not enabled any power managment features of the tablet yet. There is a power managment chip, and the A31 has power managment as well not being used. The A31 is being ran at 1ghz even when idle. If you factor that in with battery life right now at 4-4.5 hours , just think what it should get once those features are enabled.

I have 2 of these and one of mine I was messing with for over 4 hours (installing apps rooting upgrading/downgrading firmware, ect) and it was at 69% I have not had any of the browser lag, however every so often when going into google play I get no connection retry. This has happened to me with all of my tablets so not sure if this is wifi power managment or not.

I have read about some quality control issues with some units, but both of mine seem to be working and looking great so far. I also did the firmware upgrade on a factory fresh device. I think this helps with stability.

PS, Every new battery operated device i have owned I have always let it charged for 24 hours before messing with it. Even if they state they are fully charged when they come out of the box. I have always had pretty consistent battery life trough the life of the device. Just my personal experience.

Note Take Battery MAH on Chinese batteries with a grain of salt. I have seen the same model make of battery advertised and many different MAH. They never are tested at what they say. I would not be surprised if ainol novo9 and onda v972 use the same exact battery. The thing about numbers anyone good in math can make numbers say anything you want. And guess who is really good with numbers. :)