Onda V972 Allwinner A31 Quad Core 9.7inch Retina IPS Screen Dual Camera Tablet PC

Search This thread

minerva1961

Apr 22, 2009
I'm on Virgin UK too, it won't be them, it will more likely be your router, mines a Netgear and never gives any probs...

msav

Jan 14, 2011
Looks like Onda has a version 2 hardware either coming out or out already

wonder if they fixed the hardware to make it more reliable.

The firmware on onda website now states that it is for v1

minerva1961

Apr 22, 2009
>I got the netgear router too so what's the difference then?

I've played with every single ROM on here and not once had a problem connecting to my router using WPA2-PSK and my iPhone, Blackberry Playbook and a host of other gadgets all 'just connect', I'd guess your router is set up slightly incorrectly....

skippie17700

Apr 5, 2008
Which custom Rom you using?

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk 2

Looks like Onda has a version 2 hardware either coming out or out already

wonder if they fixed the hardware to make it more reliable.

The firmware on onda website now states that it is for v1

>I got the netgear router too so what's the difference then?

I've played with every single ROM on here and not once had a problem connecting to my router using WPA2-PSK and my iPhone, Blackberry Playbook and a host of other gadgets all 'just connect', I'd guess your router is set up slightly incorrectly....

Must be but what do I need to change? I sent you a mail.

Diomorgan

Jul 11, 2011
Rome
R: Onda V972 Allwinner A31 Quad Core 9.7inch Retina IPS Screen Dual Camera Tablet PC

mmmmm, V2, no hopes to send tablet back to get V2

Dvalin21

Nov 2, 2010
OKC
I hope its better, but currently waiting for Mcbub.com to get back to me on warranty.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

msav

Jan 14, 2011
I hope its better, but currently waiting for Mcbub.com to get back to me on warranty.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

I wish you luck. i was having daily emails with them every day until they shipped me mine. when i asked about the problems with mine , I never got a response, i had to file a dispute via paypal to get a email from them. they then said I had to send it back on my dime traceable shipping only. . ($42)

I decided to fix the issues myself and keep it.

skippie17700

Apr 5, 2008
I fixed my connection yesterday. Couldn't connect with WPA and found out that WPS wasn't enabled in the router. I enabled and synchronized and I could connect straight away.

Even if there are things that don't work (yet) I think this Onda has got a lot of potential and I'm glad I bought it.

diquan2001

Oct 2, 2010
Hoofddorp
Best ROM ??

So i was wondering .what ROM do you guys think is running the best on you V972/?
Im currently running the Supernova 3.0 it is running smooth for me .
But are there anymore ROMS that i could try ??

jyams

Sep 25, 2010
So i was wondering .what ROM do you guys think is running the best on you V972/?
Im currently running the Supernova 3.0 it is running smooth for me .
But are there anymore ROMS that i could try ??

Running SuperNova 3.1. Did a squeaky clean install per recommendation. It runs great. BUT, IMO the A31 engineering just doesn't handle the retina high resolution screen very well. I have grown weary of the slow performance, especially after I received my v812 and noticed a huge difference in performance due to it's 1024 x 768 screen and better battery life. I've gotten to the point where I won't even use my v972 anymore due to the difference in performance. The v812 just flies around with Supernova. No lags or delays. I'm putting my v972 on ebay this weekend and getting something with the new RK3188 processor, like the Pipo Max8 Pro. I'm also going to steer away from the Retina displays for now as these quad core processors just can't handle the power it takes to perform yet. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the retina display on the v972, but I need more efficient performance and am willing to sacrifice on visual for performance. My wife has the ipad 4 and the retina display is nice. IOS works smooth and it's not super fast, but consistently efficient. JB 4.1 with the quad core / retina display just isn't ready for prime time yet IMO.

Regarding Supernova 3.1, it is the best IMO. There's only 4 roms that I know of: Stock, Kasty-onda, Supervnova, and Canary (just rolled out last weekend). I've tried them all and Supernova is the best. BUT, be sure to follow the recommended installation instruction by formatting and wiping EVERYTHING on your tablet and then flashing via CWM via an SD Ext card. That's the best install guaranteed to give you the most pleasing experience with the rom. Steve Mars has done a great job incorporating all the modifications in the rom, including many in the build.prop that were recommended by others.

Last edited:

minerva1961

Apr 22, 2009
I pretty much concur, I'm running the Canary ROM at the moment and Antutu benchmark is about 11,000 but really for a
quad core processor one would have expected a higher rating, I think the retina display is partly to blame but also the
engineering from Onda, there's a feeling like it's not quite matured yet. Watching HQ vid is quite wow but day to
day it just needs to be a little snappier.

Diomorgan

Jul 11, 2011
Rome
I think that we all are waiting for an A31 firmware optimization for retina that "should" come, maybe not that soon...
I wonder why if I can play Real Racing 3 so good (very smooth!) , why should browser and launcher freeze sometimes?
A31 is very new and we must wait.
If you are looking for atablet that is able to use 100% of his hardware today you should go for an Rk3066 with 1GB ram.This chip has tons of custom roms for every device and, as some benchmarks even shows it's not SO slow compared to A31 at the moment.

But at the same time I think that there are peoples like me that was looking just for a retina tablet, and at the moment V972 is the only solution. :(

I'm fine with Supernova 3.1, even if Fake GPS app doesn't works and in 3.0 did.
I'm not into ROM coooking, but in 3.1 there is "GPS" voice in system setting, so it could be something related the build.prop tablet model.
I'll check it later.

What are differences betwen Supernova 3.1 and Canary?

---------- Post added at 08:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:35 PM ----------

I pretty much concur, I'm running the Canary ROM at the moment and Antutu benchmark is about 11,000 but really for a
quad core processor one would have expected a higher rating, I think the retina display is partly to blame but also the
engineering from Onda, there's a feeling like it's not quite matured yet. Watching HQ vid is quite wow but day to
day it just needs to be a little snappier.

Actually, a quad MTK with 1/2GB of ram and 720p display of all those new phones like UMI X2 and ZOPO (I know, it's a phone/tablet comparison, maybe it's not the same like tablet/tablet) scores around 12,000, so 11,000 with a 150% resolution is not that bad :)
Am I wrong?

yrag

Apr 9, 2011
v972 performance

Am running 1.35 firmware, setcpu 1152 max, 360 min, nova launcher, regularly get antutu score of 11400. Doesn't hardly ever hang, websurfing is quite fast, have no real complaints other than battery life.

TabletTinker

Mar 20, 2013
V972 Display Resolution Reduction

Maybe a "normal" display mode with 1600×1200 instead of 2048×1536 could improve performance. The ARCHOS 97 Titanium HD apparently has such a feature, see arctablet.com/blog/featured/archos-97-titanium-hd-quick-review-part-2-performance-comparing-onda-v972

Diomorgan

Jul 11, 2011
Rome
Maybe a "normal" display mode with 1600×1200 instead of 2048×1536 could improve performance. The ARCHOS 97 Titanium HD apparently has such a feature, see arctablet.com/blog/featured/archos-97-titanium-hd-quick-review-part-2-performance-comparing-onda-v972

It's not the only one, there should be even a PIPO with dual resolution.

jyams

Sep 25, 2010
It's not the only one, there should be even a PIPO with dual resolution.

I looked all over in "settings" for a different / lower resolution but couldn't find anything. It could probably be done with a firmware upgrade. Onda, I suggest you do this. There is a reason these other manufacturers are doing this. I firmly believe my v812 at 1024 x 756 is at least 3 times faster in every task. Absolutely no lag anywhere and a pleasure to use as it sails through apps, settings, browsing, and every task I throw at it. Even book pages in my Kindle app turn smoother. It has to be the retina zapping all the resources.

aryanitinkumar

Nov 7, 2011
Kharkov
I'm on Virgin UK too, it won't be them, it will more likely be your router, mines a Netgear and never gives any probs...

Am running 1.35 firmware, setcpu 1152 max, 360 min, nova launcher, regularly get antutu score of 11400. Doesn't hardly ever hang, websurfing is quite fast, have no real complaints other than battery life.

Can you give all the setcpu settings?
Thanks!!:good:

lambstone

Mar 27, 2008
Huawei P20 Pro
Redmi K20 Pro

I looked all over in "settings" for a different / lower resolution but couldn't find anything. It could probably be done with a firmware upgrade. Onda, I suggest you do this. There is a reason these other manufacturers are doing this. I firmly believe my v812 at 1024 x 756 is at least 3 times faster in every task. Absolutely no lag anywhere and a pleasure to use as it sails through apps, settings, browsing, and every task I throw at it. Even book pages in my Kindle app turn smoother. It has to be the retina zapping all the resources.

You guys are comparing apples with oranges. The Archos 97 Titanium HD uses a RK3066. All RK3066 retina tablets have the SD and HD mode. I believe it's a kernel feature.

Reactions: Diomorgan

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Updated collection of Onda V972 ROMs

Official ROMs

Version 1.35
    Download: Official Site | Mega | Ya.Disk
    Release date: March 9, 2013
    Size: 298 MB
    Description:
    - Improved stability of the system
    - Improved file system mount options
    - Space for the application restored to 2 GB
    - Improvements in the function of OTA updates
    - Fixes an issue in which some device is not held firmware

Version 1.33
    Release date: February 28, 2013
    Size: 296 MB
    Description:
    - Comes with a Root-rights, set SuperSU. from Market
    - Improved system stability, bug fixes
    - Solved the problem in the application noise Wechat 4.5 Talking
    - Fixed a problem with the applications listed in section 2 GB?
    - Fixed update OTA
    - Fixed a problem installing the firmware on some Soup
    - Improved audio settings, equalizer settings - Bass Boost and 3D-effect

Version 1.32
    Release Date: 5 of February 2013
    Size: 293 MB
    Description:
    - No Root
    - Improved system stability, bug fixes
    - Updated the Camera application
    - The function of the burst in the Camera application with setting 10 \ s
    - Improved settings display \ color
    - Added intellectual illumination
    - Removed the ability to shoot 1080P video back camera
    - Removed the ability to charge via USB when connected to PC

Version 1.21
    Release Date: 4 of February 2013 (Now that ROM remowed from Official Site, but still on fileshare)
    Size: 342 MB
    Description:
    - No Root
    - Improved system stability, some bug fixes

Version 1.2
    Release Date: 16 of January 2013
    Size: 296 MB
    Description:
    - No Root
    - Fixed a problem with the front camera, when it was 0.3 megapixels instead of 2.0
    - Improvements in the interface and application icons
    - Improving the quality of photos
    - Added the ability to shoot back camera 1080P video
    - Improved system response
    - Increased stability of the system

Version 1.1 Beta
    Download: Mega | Ya.Disk
    Release Date: 12 of January 2013 (Now deleted from site and fileshare)
    Size: 301 MB
    Description:
    - Comes with a Root
    - Fixed a problem with the front camera, when it was 0.3 megapixels instead of 2.0
    - Improved quality of photos
    - Added the ability to shoot back camera 1080P video
    - Improved system response

Version 1.02
    Release Date: 31 of December 2012
    Size: 274 MB
    Description:
    - Comes with a Root-rights
    - At the moment is not relevant

Custom ROMs

Kasty Onda v972 41 v135 rooted
    This custom firmware is based on the official firmware version 1.35
    Release Date: March 9, 2013
    Size: 264 MB
    Key features:
    - Comes with a Root-rights, SuperSU 1.25 (free version)
    - The default language is English
    - Removed the majority of Chinese and unnecessary applications
    - Improved compatibility of applications in Google Play
    - Added ArcTools application for easy installation CWM recovery

Kasty Onda v972 41 v133 rooted
    This custom firmware is based on the official firmware version 1.33
    Release Date: March 1, 2013
    Size: 261 MB
    Key features:
    - Comes with a Root-rights, SuperSU 1.20 (free version)
    - The language of the default English
    - Removed the majority of Chinese and unnecessary applications
    - Improved compatibility of applications in Google Play
    This firmware is available for applications 2 GB (section / data)

Kasty Onda v972 41 v132 rooted
    Download: Arctablet Site | Mega
    Release Date: 7 of February 2013
    Size: 260 MB
    Description:
    - Root with latest SuperSU 1.04 (free version)
    - System default setup English
    - Removed most Chinese and unnecessary applications
    - Google Play Store fixes so more application are visible/compatible

Lost World 1.2
    Download: Mega | Baidu
    Release Date: March 12, 2013
    Size: 239 MB
    Description:
    - Based on the official firmware version 1.35

Canary Rom v1.0 by Nuazet
    Download:Mega | Uploaded
    Release Date: March 17, 2013
    Size: 278 MB
    Description:
    - Deodexed
    - Zipaligned
    - The core is stock
    - Performance Improvements
    - Changes in the speed and stability
    - Changes in energy saving
    - Improved sound and Sony xLOUD CLEARBASS
    - Removed Chinese applications
    - The stock Launcher and Nova Launcher
    - Changed Butanimatsiya
    - Multiple skins

SuperNova 3.1
    Release Date: March 13, 2013
    Size: 280 MB
    Key Features:
    - Deodexed
    - Zipaligned
    - Installing apps from the folder data / app
    - Supports startup scripts
    - Tweaks build.prop:
    * Improved system for WiFi connection
    * Initial Configuration Menu
    * Improved memory management
    * Changes in the file Platform.xml, to allow the record to MicroSD
    * DPI to 264 for display
    * Change the permissions required for compatibility of some applications to Play Market
    * Improved video playback: continuous recording 1080p
    * Disable some acceleration features 3D GPU, for all applications that do not need to increase the autonomy
    Removed regular launcher because of its instability

SuperNova 3.0
    Release Date: March 9, 2013
    Size: 280 MB
    Key Features:
    - Deodexed
    - Zipaligned
    - Tweaks build.prop:
    * DPI to 264 for display
    * Change the permissions required for compatibility of some applications to Play Market
    * Disable some acceleration features 3D GPU, for all applications that do not need to increase the autonomy
    * Removed regular launcher because of its instability

SuperNova 2.0
    Release Date: March 2, 2013
    Size: 282 MB
    Key Features:
    - Based on the official firmware version 1.33
    - Deodeksirovana
    - Zip-optimized
    - Tweaks build.prop:
    * DPI to 264 for display

SuperNova 1.0
    Download: Mega | GDrive | Ya.Disk
    Release Date: 15 of February 2013
    Size: 343 MB
    - Based on the official firmware version 1.32
    - Deodex
    - Installed as a zip-archive
    - Changed Build.prop: The device is identified as a Nexus 7 in Google Play Market
    - Improved Wi-Fi subsystem
    - By default selected Spanish language
    - Improved memory management
    - Returned to the ability to record video in 1080p

ROOTs:

ROOT_Core4 - First Chinese ROOT for Device
    ROOT_Limpieza_Logo_V3 - This script, created by the Spanish user in the vast htcmania not only ROOT device, but also removes the (retaining a backup) Chinese application, and also sets the Nova Launcher. And also changes Boot Animation.
    ROOT_Limpieza_Logo_V3.1 - Like not replace standard launcher, only install Nova, also removes icons of Chinese applications from the desktop, as they start up with some errors.
    Onda_Allwinner_A31_root_v1_0 - Script from arctablet, alteration of the previous (not install Nova and do not change the boot animation).

Recovery:

CWM Recovery Onda v971 and V972 - The first version of the most famous modified porting recovery giving far more opportunities than with the stock. It has a problems with 32GB versions. How to install .
    ROM list updated!

Updated a ROMs list with new official and custom ROMS. Add a Mega and Ya.Disk mirrors for every ROM.
    imgRePacker

I added support for PhoenixSuite image forrmat into imgRePacker (2.03)
    Okay guys a quick update. Not sure, if I should be posting it here but I will still go ahead as we dont have a dedicated development thread yet.

So last night I studied the partitions, extracted the stock recovery img and tried to build cwm recovery from the cwm online builder. I pushed it on to the recovery partition, and rebooted into recovery. Finally I did manage to get the cwm recovery interface but too bad it did not recognize my partitions. Worse, I ended up bricking my device as it went in cwm loop and on every restart I just got cwm with no keys working. :crying:

Luckily I knew that Allwinner A31 is almost brick free because the Installation suite doesn't rely on recovery and use flash mode to install firmware. So I am up and running again. I just repartioned to be sure. :good::good:

I'll keep going. I realize now that the A10 also has similar paritions structure, maybe I could get help from there. For anyone interested I am attaching the recovery.fstab which u can refer to extarct images using dd command.

PM me or write here if anyone needs the recovery or boot images. I already have then extracted. Sorry for the long post.
    There is just one thing thats been bothering me. How we supposed to use CWM even if we get it working with just two keys on the tablet? Maybe I should directly try cwm touch.

Thanks. I'll keep you guys posted.
    onda has not enabled any power managment features of the tablet yet. There is a power managment chip, and the A31 has power managment as well not being used. The A31 is being ran at 1ghz even when idle. If you factor that in with battery life right now at 4-4.5 hours , just think what it should get once those features are enabled.

I have 2 of these and one of mine I was messing with for over 4 hours (installing apps rooting upgrading/downgrading firmware, ect) and it was at 69% I have not had any of the browser lag, however every so often when going into google play I get no connection retry. This has happened to me with all of my tablets so not sure if this is wifi power managment or not.

I have read about some quality control issues with some units, but both of mine seem to be working and looking great so far. I also did the firmware upgrade on a factory fresh device. I think this helps with stability.

PS, Every new battery operated device i have owned I have always let it charged for 24 hours before messing with it. Even if they state they are fully charged when they come out of the box. I have always had pretty consistent battery life trough the life of the device. Just my personal experience.

Note Take Battery MAH on Chinese batteries with a grain of salt. I have seen the same model make of battery advertised and many different MAH. They never are tested at what they say. I would not be surprised if ainol novo9 and onda v972 use the same exact battery. The thing about numbers anyone good in math can make numbers say anything you want. And guess who is really good with numbers. :)