One click Root APK for CDMA Hero

Search This thread

jcase

Retired Forum Mod / Senior Recognized Developer
Feb 20, 2010
Sequim WA
UPDATE: This has been confirmed as working

This is a direct port of my Eris one click app, with just a name change and recovery change. Should work fine. No PC, no nothing needed, but this apk. Please remember this is experimental, and since I have no hero it is untested. The eris community got so much from the Hero CMDA guys, thought I would send something back. If someone cares to test and let me know, I would appreciate it. If you are serious about wanting to test it, and want to see the source prior to testing I will provide it on request.

How it works. It used the symlink trick on mid.txt, then flashes recovery on root and extracts rootme.zip to your sdcard. Which has superuser.apk and su in it. This app doesn't have the best ui, and looks "dirty", but works great on the eris and I have no plans to update the look of it.

I believe this should work on all 2.1 hero, but most surely the Alltel one.

Preface, This is not a free app, its a try before you buy app. If this app works for you, and you are happy with it. You are required to donate a meal to a homeless youth, or any amount of money to a youth outreach type program.

This is a TeamAndIRC production.

I got bored and whipped this up tonight with ECLIPS3. This will root your Herp running 2.1 with 1 click.

If something doesn't work, don't freak just contact me, and we can figure it out.
This does NOT erase anything off your phone.You can keep you data/apps with this root!

Step 1) download and install this apk
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8699733/heroroot010.apk - VERSION 0.1.0

Step 2) Run, read disclaimer, press button

Step 3) Reboot, once rebooted your phone should have Darchstar's recovery. Yay.

Step 4) Use the recovery to flash rootme.zip that is now on your SDCard, or the custom rom of your choice.

Step 5) Go into settings, and turn usb debugging on. After you have root, please uninstall this app.

Just that easy.

Please come chat with use at http://chat.andirc.net or irc.andirc.net #droideris if you have a separate IRC client.

Credit to:
Eclips3 for spending hours and hours and hours testing my crap. Without him this app wouldn't exist.

TopazAaron for the icon

wag3slav3 for the root method

DarchStar for the recovery image

erisuser1 for the post that gave me the idea.

and to the authors of flash_image and superuser.apk.

Last edited:

LifeInTheGrey

Dec 2, 2009
Boston
I'm going to test it in about 10 minutes (once my tester finishes charging).

My tester is currently running the 2.1 stock, .5 version, but the phone I want to root is a .6. Will this (theoretically, of course) work on both?

Last edited:

jcase

Retired Forum Mod / Senior Recognized Developer
Feb 20, 2010
Sequim WA

My tester is currently running the 2.1 stock, .5 version, but the phone I want to root is a .6. Will this (theoretically, of course) work on both?

Long as the phone is vuln to th symlink trick, it should work.

ECLIPS3

Jan 29, 2010
Rochester, NY
Need a Tester for Root App

jcase and I need a tester that is willing to unroot their phone so that they can then test out a root app we made. It should work with minimal chance of brick, but would like someone to test it out for us.

The app has already been released in this section, so im going to link to the original post:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=743289

Join us in irc: chat.andirc.net #droideris
or irc.andirc.net #droideris

come find myself (ECLIPS3) or jcase on the irc.

ECLIPS3

Jan 29, 2010
Rochester, NY
How could it brick it at all? I thought the only way was to flash a GSM radio ;)

by flashing the wrong file to the phone thats not compatible. or having it get corrupted while flashing the recovery to the phone. its a very minimal chance of brick, like 0.0001% chance it bricks, but just wanted to give people a heads up before they risk putting their phones up for testing.

YoungSinema

Jun 14, 2010
Lancaster, CA

I just ran the app on my 2.1 stock, .6 version, but I'm at work at can't tell if it's rooted or not. I'll try to post back after I get off work. I don't have a data connecetion at work so I can download an app and find out.

EDIT: IT WORKS!! I download titanium backup and it appears to be working fine.

BTW...my data connection was fine, it just doesn't seem to work while I have wifi on

Last edited:

klopinator

Apr 29, 2010
Metropolis
This was too stupidly easy.

I ran into some serious issues when I accidentally used the Unrevoked.apk on a .6 SW Build instead of .5 SW Build...and this fixed it. Well assuming my odex is going well behind the splash screen.

THANK YOU!

Will donate in a couple weeks when I get paid, for certain.

koaligin

Sep 8, 2010
Wow, that was unbelievably easy. Thank you. Now that I'm rooting, how do I get rid of the crap Sprint software like Sprint TV? I tried to uninstall and it wouldn't let me.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    UPDATE: This has been confirmed as working

This is a direct port of my Eris one click app, with just a name change and recovery change. Should work fine. No PC, no nothing needed, but this apk. Please remember this is experimental, and since I have no hero it is untested. The eris community got so much from the Hero CMDA guys, thought I would send something back. If someone cares to test and let me know, I would appreciate it. If you are serious about wanting to test it, and want to see the source prior to testing I will provide it on request.

How it works. It used the symlink trick on mid.txt, then flashes recovery on root and extracts rootme.zip to your sdcard. Which has superuser.apk and su in it. This app doesn't have the best ui, and looks "dirty", but works great on the eris and I have no plans to update the look of it.

I believe this should work on all 2.1 hero, but most surely the Alltel one.

Preface, This is not a free app, its a try before you buy app. If this app works for you, and you are happy with it. You are required to donate a meal to a homeless youth, or any amount of money to a youth outreach type program.

This is a TeamAndIRC production.

I got bored and whipped this up tonight with ECLIPS3. This will root your Herp running 2.1 with 1 click.

If something doesn't work, don't freak just contact me, and we can figure it out.
    This does NOT erase anything off your phone.You can keep you data/apps with this root!

Step 1) download and install this apk
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8699733/heroroot010.apk - VERSION 0.1.0

Step 2) Run, read disclaimer, press button

Step 3) Reboot, once rebooted your phone should have Darchstar's recovery. Yay.

Step 4) Use the recovery to flash rootme.zip that is now on your SDCard, or the custom rom of your choice.

Step 5) Go into settings, and turn usb debugging on. After you have root, please uninstall this app.

Just that easy.

Please come chat with use at http://chat.andirc.net or irc.andirc.net #droideris if you have a separate IRC client.

Credit to:
    Eclips3 for spending hours and hours and hours testing my crap. Without him this app wouldn't exist.

TopazAaron for the icon

wag3slav3 for the root method

DarchStar for the recovery image

erisuser1 for the post that gave me the idea.

and to the authors of flash_image and superuser.apk.
    confirmed working, have fun.
    Just performed this on Sprint Hero and it worked great. Thanks to the OP for this useful tool. Just one question though, I still have S-ON. Is that a problem or should I just not accept any OTA updates from Sprint?

just don't accept them. Not that sprint will push anymore updates...but yeah just cancel if they do