• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

General One month down the line ... finally love my P6P

Search This thread

foobar66

Jan 8, 2011
Brussels
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Well, there has been some ranting here on this forum about the P6P.
I received my P6P on November 2.
I had never owned a Pixel, was looking forward to it (totally hyped up by Google's clever marketing ... yes I admit it).
I used rooted devices for the past 5 years or so, but initially decided not to root my P6P.
I thought I could get used to no-root ...

The first 2 weeks I was quite disappointed ...
a) FPS unreliable
b) Android 12's weird 'internet' quick tile
c) Non-root adblocking with Adaway ... yes ... sorta works but sometimes VPN turned off (never figured out why)
d) Bit of 'bloatware' ... some stuff which I don't use ... could disable it (yes, even non-rooted) through 'App Freezer'
e) No dark mode for non Google apps ... well, sorta ... you can turn it on in developer settings but reverts after reboot
f) Weird screen 'flashes' when using Nova (returning from an app into Nova desktop)
g) Missed screen touches (again when returning form an app into Nova desktop, then quickly tapping an icon -> touch was 'lost')
h) No VoLTE
i) Missing APN (well, you can modify them via settings of course)

I came from a OnePlus 8 pro (nice phone BTW) ... had promised it to my wife ... so could not really go back ;-( ...
There was a moment when I wanted to return my P6P ...
Someone here on one of the threads said: "You will learn to love your Pixel"

Hmm ... hmm ... was sceptical ...

Then things started changing:

I decided to root ... couldn't stand it ... ;-)

Slightly frustrating because after rooting my upgrade to .37 did not retain data (I probably ****ed up somewhere).

a) FPS got a lot better (I guess some changes in .37), especially when fingerprints were re-registered
b) Found a solution to go back to the old 'wifi' and 'cell' tiles
c) Rooted ad-blocking through hosts file
d) 'bloatware' completely hidden (my own magisk module)
e) Enable dark mode at boot time (my own magisk module) [only Strava app is still 'white' ... well ... OK]
f+g) Combination of: navbar buttons + FNG gestures + hide navbar (fabricateoverlay) => got rid of weird screen flashes and missed screen touches (lo and behold)
h) Achieved VoLTE through my own magisk module (patching props + adding some stuff to /data/user_de/0/com.android.phone/files/carrierconfit-XYZ.xml to get proper 4G and 4G+ icons in statusbar)
i) Edited /product/etc/CarrierSettings/others.pb to add proper APN settings (mounting through my own magisk module)

So ... now we are 1.5 months down the line ... and I actually 'love' my P6P now ;-)

Next challenge ... upgrade next week to December update ... keeping root and /data ...

But most importantly: wife is very happy with her OnePlus 8 pro !
Happy wife ... happy life ...

Last edited:

foobar66

Jan 8, 2011
Brussels
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Well ... it was not all marketing hype to be honest ;-)

After years of several OnePlus devices, it was becoming clear that OnePlus was going to loose a lot of their original appeal. OxygenOS was always better than stock android with a clean look and a bunch of really useful addons and customizations. Easy rooting and a big development community always made me go back to OnePlus. And the Pixels 1-5 generations always had things that made me not buy them (slightly enforced by the fact that Google does not sell in my country).

But the latest OxygenOS builds especially since Android 11 started to look more and more like Sammy. But after Galaxy S2/S4/S6/S8, I had more than enough of Sammy.

The OnePlus consolidation with Oppo and them moving into ColorOS made me decide to go away from OnePlus. Really sad as they had a unique position for many years: very good hardware, stock android with the addons/customizations that actually make sense and a huge dev community.

The P6P was marketed to be the first flagship Pixel so this time I decided to give it a go. I don't regret it (as I said in OP) but especially the first 2 weeks caused quite a lot of doubt.

Last edited:

96carboard

Jul 17, 2018

After years of several OnePlus devices, it was becoming clear that OnePlus was going to loose a lot of their original appeal. OxygenOS was always better than stock android with a clean look and a bunch of really useful addons and customizations. Easy rooting and a big development community always made me go back to OnePlus. And the Pixels 1-5 generations always had things that made me not buy them (slightly enforced by the fact that Google does not sell in my country).

But the latest OxygenOS builds especially since Android 11 started to look more and more like Sammy.

The OnePlus consolidation with Oppo and them moving into ColorOS made me decide to go away from OnePlus. Really sad as they had a unique position for many years: very good hardware, stock android with the addons/customizations that actually make sense and a huge dev community.

The P6P was marketed to be the first flagship Pixel so this time I decided to give it a go. I don't regret it (as I said in OP) but especially the first 2 weeks caused quite a lot of doubt.

Pixel's were *always* marketed as "top end", except the "-A" versions and the "5".

Reactions: foobar66

wulfgarfang

Feb 15, 2014
I had never owned a Pixel, was looking forward to it (totally hyped up by Google's clever marketing ... yes I admit it).
I used rooted devices for the past 5 years or so, but initially decided not to root my P6P.

a) FPS unreliable
c) Non-root adblocking with Adaway ... yes ... sorta works but sometimes VPN turned off (never figured out why)
d) Bit of 'bloatware' ... some stuff which I don't use ... could disable it (yes, even non-rooted) through 'App Freezer'
e) No dark mode for non Google apps ... well, sorta ... you can turn it on in developer settings but reverts after reboot
f) Weird screen 'flashes' when using Nova (returning from an app into Nova desktop)
g) Missed screen touches (again when returning form an app into Nova desktop, then quickly tapping an icon -> touch was 'lost')
h) No VoLTE

I came from a OnePlus 8 pro (nice phone BTW) ... had promised it to my wife ... so could not really go back ;-( ...

Slightly frustrating because after rooting my upgrade to .37 did not retain data (I probably ****ed up somewhere).

a) FPS got a lot better (I guess some changes in .37), especially when fingerprints were re-registered
e) Enable dark mode at boot time (my own magisk module) [only Strava app is still 'white' ... well ... OK]
f+g) Combination of: navbar buttons + FNG gestures + hide navbar (fabricateoverlay) => got rid of weird screen flashes and missed screen touches (lo and behold)
h) Achieved VoLTE through my own magisk module (patching props + adding some stuff to /data/user_de/0/com.android.phone/files/carrierconfit-XYZ.xml to get proper 4G and 4G+ icons in statusbar)
i) Edited /product/etc/CarrierSettings/others.pb to add proper APN settings (mounting through my own magisk module)

So ... now we are 1.5 months down the line ... and I actually 'love' my P6P now ;-)

Next challenge ... upgrade next week to December update ... keeping root and /data ...

I love this! I assume the previous phone you owned goes to the wife. You always get the upgrade? This is exactly how it goes with me as well. Wife has the pixel 3xl I got the p6 pro. Wife loves her upgrade from the s7edge.(was once mine as well). Oh and I also have a daughter with whom I've also given phones so I can upgrade....great thing I've got going actually.

Reactions: rogosteve

foobar66

Jan 8, 2011
Brussels
Google Pixel 6 Pro
I love this! I assume the previous phone you owned goes to the wife. You always get the upgrade? This is exactly how it goes with me as well. Wife has the pixel 3xl I got the p6 pro. Wife loves her upgrade from the s7edge.(was once mine as well). Oh and I also have a daughter with whom I've also given phones so I can upgrade....great thing I've got going actually.
Yes, wife got the OnePlus8 pro ... she is happy but cares a lot less about phones than I do ... lol ... ;-)

• Haha
Reactions: galaxys

bradhoschar

Apr 7, 2011
Pittsburgh
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Just got my 6Pro yesterday, but my OP8Pro is right by my side. I do miss the physical button for Sound>Vibrate>Silent, and I miss being able to swap back and recent nav buttons, and the double-tap back button for notifications. If I can find solutions for these 3 things, I think I'll keep the 6Pro. If not, a loyal OnePlus user I'll be!

Reactions: galaxys

ram4ufriends

Aug 12, 2014
San Antonio
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Just got my 6Pro yesterday, but my OP8Pro is right by my side. I do miss the physical button for Sound>Vibrate>Silent, and I miss being able to swap back and recent nav buttons, and the double-tap back button for notifications. If I can find solutions for these 3 things, I think I'll keep the 6Pro. If not, a loyal OnePlus user I'll be!
For your 3rd one
Settings -> System -> Gestures -> Quick Tap. Turn it on and select Show notifications.

Reactions: bradhoschar

andreipaval

Jul 13, 2010
HTC U11+
Nokia 1

Hi, you mentioned missing APN and then adding it in others.pb, what exactly was not working correctly when APN was missing ?
And about others.pb, I read on another thread about how you edited this, do you think it's possible to add the missing VoLTE settings for my carrier into others.pb, overwriting it with magisk and then VoLTE being automatically activated, without the need to edit "/data/user_de/0/com.android.phone/carrierconfig-com.google.android.carrier-xyz.xml" ?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

a) FPS unreliable
    h) No VoLTE

But the latest OxygenOS builds especially since Android 11 started to look more and more like Sammy. But after Galaxy S2/S4/S6/S8, I had more than enough of Sammy.

(totally hyped up by Google's clever marketing ... yes I admit it)

I actually found their advertising to be extremely offputting. It very nearly convinced me to just stick with Nexus 6 indefinitely. Your choice in phone is not relevant to social consciousness, it is a tool to do a job.

But the latest OxygenOS builds especially since Android 11 started to look more and more like Sammy.

Pixel's were *always* marketed as "top end", except the "-A" versions and the "5".

a) FPS unreliable
    h) No VoLTE