How To Guide [One UI 4 Beta] (Snapdragon) S21 Ultra

Search This thread

bANONYMOUS

Dec 30, 2011
Canada, Earth.
Can you give me the exact instructions ti flash it using the alliance x app. I tried both renaming it to update.zip and just leaving it as a bin file anf both start to flash and then stop at 20-30% with the error message.
You need to change the firmware using the patched Odin 3.13.1
You have to be on the specific firmware FIRST before you can update to One UI 4.0.

So for instance, my phone is SM-G998W, if I flash the SM-G998U1 firmware linked in this thread, it will fail, I MUST be on SM-G998U1 FIRST before I can flash the update. So I need to use the patched Odin to go from W to U1, once I am on the U1 firmware with the latest update (4AUH9), then I can update to One UI 4.0

That is your first step, flash the correct firmware needed first using Odin, then you can update.

Slypnslyde

Jan 5, 2013
Wilmington, DE
You need to change the firmware using the patched Odin 3.13.1
You have to be on the specific firmware FIRST before you can update to One UI 4.0.

So for instance, my phone is SM-G998W, if I flash the SM-G998U1 firmware linked in this thread, it will fail, I MUST be on SM-G998U1 FIRST before I can flash the update. So I need to use the patched Odin to go from W to U1, once I am on the U1 firmware with the latest update (4AUH9), then I can update to One UI 4.0

That is your first step, flash the correct firmware needed first using Odin, then you can update.
So for instance since I'm on SM-G998U I have the Tmobile s21 ultra version of the the update. I need to flash that through Odin?

Reactions: MastNi

bANONYMOUS

Dec 30, 2011
Canada, Earth.
So for instance since I'm on SM-G998U I have the Tmobile s21 ultra version of the the update. I need to flash that through Odin?
Only thing I can think of for this instance is the CSC causing issues, I was using XAA which is unlocked from samsung, no carrier specific version and it worked for me, so maybe try SM-G998U XAA? Instead of SM-G998U TMB like your phone has?

Or alternatively, try doing it the way I did by doing a factory reset and wipe everything, then set the phone up with no accounts and flash the update using ADB

bANONYMOUS

Dec 30, 2011
Canada, Earth.
OK so I've played around for a few days with the beta... its nice vut now I want to go back to stable.

How can I do that with out losing data?
I believe all you have to do is download the official firmware from Frija, flash with patched Odin, but make sure to use HOME_CSC and not CSC. CSC will wipe your phone, HOME_CSC retains data. And you should be good to go.
But, with all flashes, be prepared for a factory reset if something goes wrong, so backup your phone anyway just to be sure.

readymarc

Dec 30, 2016
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
OK so I've played around for a few days with the beta... its nice vut now I want to go back to stable.

How can I do that with out losing data?
I believe all you have to do is download the official firmware from Frija, flash with patched Odin, but make sure to use HOME_CSC and not CSC. CSC will wipe your phone, HOME_CSC retains data. And you should be good to go.
But, with all flashes, be prepared for a factory reset if something goes wrong, so backup your phone anyway just to be sure.

I think he should wipe data. Problems might occur with moving from beta to stable. I did that just in case of any app data problems that might present itself.

readymarc

Dec 30, 2016
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
It works flawless, at first I didn't even think it worked cause 4.0 looks so much like 3.1 that I thought the flash actually failed and it restored back to 3.1 until I checked the software info to see it was actually on 4.0

It's just like a normal phone, no lag at all, it's not getting hot or anything for daily use all day today. What apps are you running in the background? It might be something you have installed is not working well with 4.0 causing high background usage.
You're lucky, I did a fresh install and installed apps one by one, no restore and still it lags, well not much but navigating the app drawer left to right, you can notice the drop frames.

You have the snapdragon or exynos?

bANONYMOUS

Dec 30, 2011
Canada, Earth.
What bugs are people getting? So far everything except for the DJI Mimo app works for me, it just force closes when I try to open it, and randomly after about a day of use, the swipe up to go home gesture doesn't work until I restart. But restarting my phone every morning, I haven't seen this issue again.

So realistically, the only issue's I'm having is that one app doesn't open, and I have to reboot my phone every morning so the swipe to home gesture remains working, it's really not the end of the world and this is insanely stable for a "beta"

I'm also not experiencing any slow down or lag at all with the app drawer or notifications, but I'm also using Nova Launcher so could possibly be a One UI launcher issue cause I don't have any lag at all with Nova. I also have the phone set to 720p, with the DPI changed to 512 which gives the same scaling at the 1440p resolution, while using basically half the power for the display which might also be a cause of not having any lag.

What kind of issues is everyone else getting?

maddoggin

Jul 6, 2010
corpus christ
so does your phone have to be on certain update to receive this? i tried to sideload and update failed because build date on my phone. i have the august security patch G998uSQS4AUI1

maddoggin

Jul 6, 2010
corpus christ
You can update from that one too, it just cant be older than 4AUH9
I'm guessing you have to reset your phone and before running thru setup reboot to recovery and flash update? But then how do you get adb permissions after reset? You'd have to run thru real fast and go to setti G's give adb permission and flash updates but that defeats the purpose doesn't it? Sorry just trying to figure out why I keep getti g error whe. Sideloading update.

elliwigy

Retired Forum Moderator / Recognized Developer
XDA App Taskforce
Only thing I can think of for this instance is the CSC causing issues, I was using XAA which is unlocked from samsung, no carrier specific version and it worked for me, so maybe try SM-G998U XAA? Instead of SM-G998U TMB like your phone has?

Or alternatively, try doing it the way I did by doing a factory reset and wipe everything, then set the phone up with no accounts and flash the update using ADB
i left detailed instructions and explanation as to why in a previous post specifically for G998U and G998U1 devices lol..

There is no g998u xaa firmware.. xaa is samsung usa unlocked model which is the U1 models i.e. g998u1=xaa g998u=tmb,spr,att,vzw etc. etc. But yes, if they are using a g998u1 4AUH9 to 4ZUID update.zip then they need to use modified odin and flash g998u1 4AUH9 firmware to their g998u device then adb sideload the update zip

elliwigy

XDA App Taskforce
I'm guessing you have to reset your phone and before running thru setup reboot to recovery and flash update? But then how do you get adb permissions after reset? You'd have to run thru real fast and go to setti G's give adb permission and flash updates but that defeats the purpose doesn't it? Sorry just trying to figure out why I keep getti g error whe. Sideloading update.
you dont need adb permissions to adb sideload.. use physical buttons to boot into recovery mode then select apply update using adb and it will load into sideload mode and display on the screen adb sideload filename.zip when its ready

elliwigy

XDA App Taskforce
You can update from that one too, it just cant be older than 4AUH9
not accurate.. it has to be on 4AUH9.. depending on the zip hes using.. i posted few pages back how to check what you need to be on and suggested ppl linking zips add yo their post what firmwsre is needed to start to avoid these issues but its not my thread soo..

long story short, all ota updates have an update script so it will check the firmware on the device to make sure its a specific firmware and also not modified in any way before it will flash..

if he is using say G998U1 4AUH9 to 4ZUID update zip then he needs to first flash to G998U1 4AUH9 firmware before installing the update zip.. if his update zip is G998U 4AUI1 to 4ZUID then it should work.. i assume tho bcuz hes getting errors hes not on the right base firmware for the update zip hes trying to use..

updates have always been this way

Reactions: maddoggin

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    BETA 1 G998U1 AUH9 to ZUID : Download thanks to @darkjavapro

BETA 1 G998U AUGQ to ZUID: Download thanks to @goofwear

BETA 2 G998U ZUID to ZUJ1: Download thanks to @goofwear

Beta 2 G998U1 ZUID to ZUJ1: Download thanks to @darkjavapro

Beta 3 G998U ZUJ1 to ZUJG: Download thanks to @goofwear

Beta 3 G998U1 ZUJ1 to ZUJG: Download thanks to @darkjavapro

Beta 4 G998U ZUJG to ZUK1: Download thanks to @goofwear

Beta 4 G998U1 ZUJG TO ZUK1: Download thanks to @elliwigy

Here is instruction how to capture update file: https://xdaforums.com/t/...for-s21-plus-ultra-download-ota-link.4333487/

Instructions provided by @elliwigy :

- Model needs to be G998U or G998U1
    - Flash the starting firmware to your device using modified odin if you are not already on it (this example needs to flash G998U1 4AUH9 to your G998U or G998U1 if not already on it.)
    - Download G998U1 4AUH9 to 4ZUID update.zip to your PC.
    - Have the update zip in same directory as ADB binary (if not in PATH) then open a terminal window (Windows will be powershell or cmd prompt.)
    - Use hardware buttons to enter recovery mode then select "Apply Update Using ADB...) or if you have adb on device authorized can type in terminal "adb reboot sideload" or "adb reboot recovery" then select "Apply Update Using ADB..."
    - Once in sideliad mode, type in terminal "adb sideload nameofupdate.zip"
    BETA 1 G998U1 AUH9 to ZUID : Download thanks to @darkjavapro

BETA 1 G998U AUH9 to ZUID: Download thanks to @goofwear

BETA 2 G998U ZUID to ZUJ1: Download thanks to @goofwear

Here is instruction how to capture update file: https://xdaforums.com/t/...for-s21-plus-ultra-download-ota-link.4333487/

Instructions provided by @elliwigy :

- Model needs to be G998U or G998U1
    - Flash the starting firmware to your device using modified odin if you are not already on it (this example needs to flash G998U1 4AUH9 to your G998U or G998U1 if not already on it.)
    - Download G998U1 4AUH9 to 4ZUID update.zip to your PC.
    - Have the update zip in same directory as ADB binary (if not in PATH) then open a terminal window (Windows will be powershell or cmd prompt.)
    - Use hardware buttons to enter recovery mode then select "Apply Update Using ADB...) or if you have adb on device authorized can type in terminal "adb reboot sideload" or "adb reboot recovery" then select "Apply Update Using ADB..."
    - Once in sideliad mode, type in terminal "adb sideload nameofupdate.zip"
    Beta 2 For g998u1 zuid to zuji
    http://fota-secure-dn.ospserver.net:80/firmware/VZW/SM-G998U1/nspx/0519fdcc65a041c3ae9c75de830ac3f0.bin?px-time=61abf252&px-hash=c83cd36ddace9b10ffe005d3ce545947&px-wid=1188933-WSA211005225721&px-wctime=2021-10-05%2022:57:21&px-unum=&px-nb=UGtezEZ854jbmFcvWGxLEA==
    seems people forgot how updates work.. if you post a ota file you should list the device, starting firmware and the firmware you are moving to else it will not work..

for example i posted link for G998U1 4AUH9-4ZUID zip..

This means the following:

Device: SM-G998U1
    Firmware I Was On: 4AUH9
    Beta Firmware: 4ZUID

So the steps would be (f9r this specific example):

1) Own a SM-G998U or SM-G998U1
    - since the zip is for G998U1, if you own a SM-G998U, you will need to flash SM-G998U1 firmware to it using modified odin (see next step for firmware info)

2) In my example (also was my case) my device was on G998U1 rev4 firmware 4AUH9. Therefore to use the zip you need to be on this same firmware. If you arent already then you would need to use modified odin to flash your g998u or g998u1 to rev4 G998U1 4AUH9 firmware else install will fail.

3) Download the zip (if you download directly from Samsung you'll get a bin file, just rename it to .zip if you want or if you have issues installing it named .bin).

4) Using adb, type: adb reboot sideload

5) Once in adb sideload, type: adb sideload update.zip
    - Depending on what OS you are using, adb might be in your path, if not then have the adb binary in same directory as your update zip. If its in path just open terminal in same directory you have the update zip.

6) Let it update, it might take a while but should go through successfully.

If you are not sure what firmware you need to be on then you can open or extract the zip using an archive manager such as 7-zip and navigate to the update-script and open it in a text editor like notepad++ and you will see what you need to be on to start with.

The update-script has commands to do various checks so when you go to sideload it, it will check what device you are on, what firmware you are on, if firmware has been modified on the device, if zip has been modified etc. and if something doesnt check out it will fail. For example if youre rooted it will fail.. 8f you modify the zip it will fail.. if you try to flash a zip on a different variant or model it will fail.. if you arent on the starting firmware it looks for it will fail..

this is how its always been and is designed to not brick your device as well as security in mind i.e. cant pre root or change script to root device as it will break the zip/signature etc. etc.
    SM-G998U1

4AUH9 to 4ZUID Update Zip

That's why I try to stay away from the forums, cause of people like you. Always backhanded help with attitude. You're a senior member and you're acting like a thread d!ck. Thanks anyway.
    Just relax, take a breath, make a coffee, don't take it to heart. Everyone is an asshole on the internet. @Jay5583 probably just stubbed their toe and was pissed off at the world so they lashed out at you.. Or they just clearly didn't know there is a typo in the opening post. It says that Beta 1 for G998U is AUH9 to ZUID, which is not true. It's AUGQ to ZUID. AUH9 is ONLY for "U1" and does not exist for "U" (which is why it would seem like such a simple task to just tell people to search instead of actually helping, because finding a firmware is a fairly simple thing to do, and if people won't help themselves than why help others) but they CLEARLY didn't know that AUH9 doesn't exist for "U" because it's a "U1" only firmware which is why you're not finding anything, because no matter how hard you search, you're not going to find a firmware that doesn't exist lol. So, don't take it to heart that they were coming across as rude because from the information provided on here, it seemed like a very simple task and they were probably just pissed about something else and lashed out at you for asking such a simple question. But the real issue was the typo and the firmware you as well as they thought you needed, doesn't actually exist.

I'll try to explain why it's AUGQ. If you download that file in the first post with all of the links, you'll get a .bin file. Change .bin to .zip, and you can open it. Navigate to META-INF > com > google > android and in there, you will see update-script. If you open this file with notepad or something, you can see on line 5, it says
    ui_print("[FEN] source: samsung/p3qsqw/p3q:11/RP1A.200720.012/G998USQU4AUGQ:user/release-keys");
    The key part you want to pay attention to is the full build string G998USQU4AUGQ, or rather the last four characters "AUGQ".
    This is the SOURCE it's looking for, so when you flash this update file, it will look for that EXACT firmware. If it does NOT see that, it will fail at 47% as so many people on here have seen because of that last U1 Beta 4 upload being the wrong link. (It was for Beta 3, so everyone was failing at 47% because the Beta 3 file everyone downloaded thinking it was Beta 4, it was actaully Beta 3 looking for Beta 2 firmware as the source to flash over top and upgrade to Beta 3, but everyone's phone was already on Beta 3 as the source, so because it was on the wrong source firmware it couldn't flash).
    So once you are on the SOURCE firmware, so for G998U, the source needs to be AUGQ, then you can flash Beta 1 for "U", and flash right over top of that Beta 2/3/4 and you're good to go. Maybe do a factory reset after AUGQ to Beta 1 just to assure full stability by removing all One UI 3.1 lingering files that could be in the background and cause stability issues.

@DoctorNasty will eventually fix this typo in the opening post whenever they have some free time so that Beta 1 for G998U is AUGQ to ZUID, not AUH9 to ZUID.

I've already found the firmware you need, and uploaded it to my Google Drive to make your life a little easier
    G998U AUGQ
    I've also written a full guide here if you need any help along the way. I've covered everything as well as some troubleshooting and other notes and links.
    And I have a video guide on YouTube here if you need to see the process first hand if you're more of a visual learner or want to ask questions in the comments or anything.