• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

How To Guide [One UI 4 Beta] (Snapdragon) S21 Ultra

Search This thread

Iain_S

Apr 19, 2018
Calgary
I solved this problem by using Linux, but now the problem is when it's in the process of flashing around 47% it breaks and my phone spits out this error:
Code:
Check sign header...
assert failed: update_dynamic_partitions(package_extract_file("dynamic_partitions_op_list"))
E:Error in /sideload/package.zip (status 1)

Install from ADB completed with status 1.
Installation aborted
yeah cant get it to install on the canadian version either which is running the latest U1 update for september

omek07

Oct 15, 2007

FlyingEwok

Jun 24, 2020
seems people forgot how updates work.. if you post a ota file you should list the device, starting firmware and the firmware you are moving to else it will not work..

for example i posted link for G998U1 4AUH9-4ZUID zip..

This means the following:

Device: SM-G998U1
Firmware I Was On: 4AUH9
Beta Firmware: 4ZUID

So the steps would be (f9r this specific example):

1) Own a SM-G998U or SM-G998U1
- since the zip is for G998U1, if you own a SM-G998U, you will need to flash SM-G998U1 firmware to it using modified odin (see next step for firmware info)

2) In my example (also was my case) my device was on G998U1 rev4 firmware 4AUH9. Therefore to use the zip you need to be on this same firmware. If you arent already then you would need to use modified odin to flash your g998u or g998u1 to rev4 G998U1 4AUH9 firmware else install will fail.

3) Download the zip (if you download directly from Samsung you'll get a bin file, just rename it to .zip if you want or if you have issues installing it named .bin).

4) Using adb, type: adb reboot sideload

5) Once in adb sideload, type: adb sideload update.zip
- Depending on what OS you are using, adb might be in your path, if not then have the adb binary in same directory as your update zip. If its in path just open terminal in same directory you have the update zip.

6) Let it update, it might take a while but should go through successfully.

If you are not sure what firmware you need to be on then you can open or extract the zip using an archive manager such as 7-zip and navigate to the update-script and open it in a text editor like notepad++ and you will see what you need to be on to start with.

The update-script has commands to do various checks so when you go to sideload it, it will check what device you are on, what firmware you are on, if firmware has been modified on the device, if zip has been modified etc. and if something doesnt check out it will fail. For example if youre rooted it will fail.. 8f you modify the zip it will fail.. if you try to flash a zip on a different variant or model it will fail.. if you arent on the starting firmware it looks for it will fail..

this is how its always been and is designed to not brick your device as well as security in mind i.e. cant pre root or change script to root device as it will break the zip/signature etc. etc.
This worked for me! (My original model was the SM-G998W and then I used Odin like you said and flashed SM-G998U1 with the rev4 firmware 4AUH9 then flashed the zip you provided)
Thanks!

One question though with the zip your provided would I receive OTA updates once beta 2 comes out?

klabit87

Jul 11, 2011
Looks like nobody has the S21+? lol I am not able to get the beta or i would do it myself. Can somebody please try to get the link for the S21+? (SM-G996U or U1)

Atoman03

Feb 2, 2018
I was able to use the update.zip with a SM-G988U Verizon by going to the SM-G988U1 firmware via modified Odin and then using the update.zip. Thanks for the link!

Atoman03

Feb 2, 2018
I have a Verizon S21 ultra also. Just curious if the beta has been working good for you? Just curious before I do it.
It has been working just fine for 24 hours now, battery life has been the same. There were a couple of changes that I wasn't sure about like the Mobile Data at the top right looks different but that is just because it is the Unlocked firmware instead of the Verizon firmware. Let me know how it goes for yours if you do it.

Reactions: JG96EVO

JG96EVO

Jun 15, 2011
St. Louis
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
It has been working just fine for 24 hours now, battery life has been the same. There were a couple of changes that I wasn't sure about like the Mobile Data at the top right looks different but that is just because it is the Unlocked firmware instead of the Verizon firmware. Let me know how it goes for yours if you do it.
Thanks for the reply, does 5g work for you? And if I wanted to go back stock, where do we get the stock vzw firmware from? All I saw was something labeled U1 vzw but my phone is a U version.

Hello buddy thank you for your answer . Did they activate the esim in U1 or U version ? do you have any screen shot please ?

I have G991U1. Sim Card Manager is present and was simple to scan in the eSIM QR code for AT&T. I didn't show any signal until I disabled the primary SIM and rebooted with just the eSIM active, then it provisioned and came online. Then I was able to turn the SIM back on and both work. It only uses the primary for data. It is pretty simple to change which card is primary.

1632206062859.jpeg

Atoman03

Feb 2, 2018
Thanks for the reply, does 5g work for you? And if I wanted to go back stock, where do we get the stock vzw firmware from? All I saw was something labeled U1 vzw but my phone is a U version.
I am not able to test 5G since it isn't in my area. The stock firmware, I was just going to leave it as the U1 firmware since it is the Unlocked firmware and I personally don't care about having the bloatware that Verizon installs on here. You will have to use the U1 VZW firmware to even be able to use the update.zip as well

Top Liked Posts

Beta 3 did drop yesterday in South Korea. Late yesterday evening, beta 3 did get uploaded to the US servers but it hasn't been pushed just yet. Hopefully see something today.

tempFileForShare_20211020-172129.jpg
    Beta 3 hasn't been released for US yet, only South Korea
    BETA 1 G998U1 AUH9 to ZUID : Download thanks to @darkjavapro

BETA 1 G998U AUH9 to ZUID: Download thanks to @goofwear

BETA 2 G998U ZUID to ZUJ1: Download thanks to @goofwear

Here is instruction how to capture update file: https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...for-s21-plus-ultra-download-ota-link.4333487/

Instructions provided by @elliwigy :

- Model needs to be G998U or G998U1
    - Flash the starting firmware to your device using modified odin if you are not already on it (this example needs to flash G998U1 4AUH9 to your G998U or G998U1 if not already on it.)
    - Download G998U1 4AUH9 to 4ZUID update.zip to your PC.
    - Have the update zip in same directory as ADB binary (if not in PATH) then open a terminal window (Windows will be powershell or cmd prompt.)
    - Use hardware buttons to enter recovery mode then select "Apply Update Using ADB...) or if you have adb on device authorized can type in terminal "adb reboot sideload" or "adb reboot recovery" then select "Apply Update Using ADB..."
    - Once in sideliad mode, type in terminal "adb sideload nameofupdate.zip"
    Beta 2 For g998u1 zuid to zuji
    http://fota-secure-dn.ospserver.net:80/firmware/VZW/SM-G998U1/nspx/0519fdcc65a041c3ae9c75de830ac3f0.bin?px-time=61abf252&px-hash=c83cd36ddace9b10ffe005d3ce545947&px-wid=1188933-WSA211005225721&px-wctime=2021-10-05%2022:57:21&px-unum=&px-nb=UGtezEZ854jbmFcvWGxLEA==
    So for instance since I'm on SM-G998U I have the Tmobile s21 ultra version of the the update. I need to flash that through Odin?
    Only thing I can think of for this instance is the CSC causing issues, I was using XAA which is unlocked from samsung, no carrier specific version and it worked for me, so maybe try SM-G998U XAA? Instead of SM-G998U TMB like your phone has?

Or alternatively, try doing it the way I did by doing a factory reset and wipe everything, then set the phone up with no accounts and flash the update using ADB
    You can also update using the alliance app by sideloading update it works amazingly well.No PC needed.
    Only downfall to that is when you do a factory reset after AUH9, you gotta set the phone up again, sign into Google Play, download the app (or download from a third party website), download the update.zip, sideload it with alliance, factory reset, then set the phone up again for the best stability otherwise you have rogue 3.1 files in the background that can cause unknown stability issues.

It's just a lot faster when you can just press some buttons to get into sideload from recovery, flash the zip with a single command on the PC, factory reset from recovery before rebooting the phone, and you're instantly back at the setup screen on One UI 4.0b1 ready to set it up and go. Then you can just sideload OTA's after that without issue. So, in the sense of using Alliance for OTA's while ALREADY ON 4.0, then it COULD be a good choice if we weren't running Beta software. But again, ADB on PC is safer since that Alliance app was never tested on One UI 4.0, so it could crash mid flash and soft brick your device causing you to restart the entire process over again from square one, which you would then need ADB on a PC anyway.

Once ADB is setup system wide, you can use it at free will in seconds, no matter how many factory resets or different phones, it's always just one and done ready to go on your computer, a simple USB cable away. Nothing to setup again unless you reinstall Windows. So it's always the preferred method we use. Doing anything involving flashing from the device itself can be fast in some instances, but it's always dangerous and should be avoided if you have safer options like ADB on the PC.

So for this update, if I'm on AUI7 can i sideload beta 2 from that? Or do I have to downgrade to UH9 then sideload beta 1 then sideload beta 2 after that?
    Downgrade to AUH9, sideload ZUID, sideload ZUJ1
    The beta is finally released in China hopefully a hero will come up and share with us their beta firmwares. 🙏🙏
    G9980 gang is restless.
    Canadian S21 Ultra 998W series with U1 XAA UI7 series update installed.
    Backed up data (in case you know)
    Used ODIN 3.14.1 to go to UH9 with HOME_CSC (meaning do not erase data), reboot, NO issues
    ADB the UH9 to UID One UI 4.0 update Beta 1, NO issues
    ADB the UID to UJ1 One UI 4.0 update Betas 2, NO issues

SM-G998U1 -> SM-G998U1/DS with 1 October 2021

eSIM is showing up on Telus and 5G is working as before with the XAA UI7

Beta 2 G998U1 ZUID to ZUJ1: Download thanks to @darkjavapro

Here is instruction how to capture update file: https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...for-s21-plus-ultra-download-ota-link.4333487/

- Flash the starting firmware to your device using modified odin if you are not already on it (this example needs to flash G998U1 4AUH9 to your G998U or G998U1 if not already on it.)
    - Have the update zip in same directory as ADB binary (if not in PATH) then open a terminal window (Windows will be powershell or cmd prompt.)
    - Use hardware buttons to enter recovery mode then select "Apply Update Using ADB...) or if you have adb on device authorized can type in terminal "adb reboot sideload" or "adb reboot recovery" then select "Apply Update Using ADB..."

Beta 2 For g998u1 zuid to zuji
    http://fota-secure-dn.ospserver.net:80/firmware/VZW/SM-G998U1/nspx/0519fdcc65a041c3ae9c75de830ac3f0.bin?px-time=61abf252&px-hash=c83cd36ddace9b10ffe005d3ce545947&px-wid=1188933-WSA211005225721&px-wctime=2021-10-05%2022:57:21&px-unum=&px-nb=UGtezEZ854jbmFcvWGxLEA==
    SM-G998U1

4AUH9 to 4ZUID Update Zip

seems people forgot how updates work.. if you post a ota file you should list the device, starting firmware and the firmware you are moving to else it will not work..

for example i posted link for G998U1 4AUH9-4ZUID zip..

This means the following:

Device: SM-G998U1
    Firmware I Was On: 4AUH9
    Beta Firmware: 4ZUID

So the steps would be (f9r this specific example):

1) Own a SM-G998U or SM-G998U1
    - since the zip is for G998U1, if you own a SM-G998U, you will need to flash SM-G998U1 firmware to it using modified odin (see next step for firmware info)

2) In my example (also was my case) my device was on G998U1 rev4 firmware 4AUH9. Therefore to use the zip you need to be on this same firmware. If you arent already then you would need to use modified odin to flash your g998u or g998u1 to rev4 G998U1 4AUH9 firmware else install will fail.

3) Download the zip (if you download directly from Samsung you'll get a bin file, just rename it to .zip if you want or if you have issues installing it named .bin).

4) Using adb, type: adb reboot sideload

5) Once in adb sideload, type: adb sideload update.zip
    - Depending on what OS you are using, adb might be in your path, if not then have the adb binary in same directory as your update zip. If its in path just open terminal in same directory you have the update zip.

6) Let it update, it might take a while but should go through successfully.

If you are not sure what firmware you need to be on then you can open or extract the zip using an archive manager such as 7-zip and navigate to the update-script and open it in a text editor like notepad++ and you will see what you need to be on to start with.

The update-script has commands to do various checks so when you go to sideload it, it will check what device you are on, what firmware you are on, if firmware has been modified on the device, if zip has been modified etc. and if something doesnt check out it will fail. For example if youre rooted it will fail.. 8f you modify the zip it will fail.. if you try to flash a zip on a different variant or model it will fail.. if you arent on the starting firmware it looks for it will fail..

this is how its always been and is designed to not brick your device as well as security in mind i.e. cant pre root or change script to root device as it will break the zip/signature etc. etc.