• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

How To Guide [One UI 4 Beta] (Snapdragon) S21 Ultra

Search This thread

readymarc

Dec 30, 2016
I have SM-G998W, used patched Odin 3.13.1 when the phone first came out to convert it over to SM-G998U1 XAA, and I am on the latest OTA update to 4AUH9. But I was getting an error at 47% like others have reported.

My fix was to just do a factory reset. I wiped my phone completely, set it back up with no accounts so it's just a fresh, account free, install of SM-998U1 XAA 4AUH9. Once I was back into Android after the setup screen, Go straight to settings, software info, tapped build number 7 times, back, back, developer options, enable USB Debugging, Tried it again and it works fine.

I'm on Windows 11 22463, so to setup platform-tools system wide so it's easier to use like on Linux, I go to Settings, System, Advanced System Settings. From Windows 10, you go to Control Panel, System, Advanced System Settings (on the left bar), but from that point, the steps are the same between Windows 10 or 11.
In the window that opens up, go to Environment Variables, and in the System variables section, click on Path, and click edit. In the window that pops up, add a new directory which leads to the platform tools folder.

Now ADB is system wide so you can just open Windows Terminal (PowerShell or CMD), and when you type adb version, it just works. No changing directories or anything.

No need for ./ before commands as others have reported.

Once that was done, simply typed in adb devices, made sure the phone comes up, adb reboot sideload, once the phone reboots and is prepped for sideload, adb sideload update.zip, and it did it's thing, now it's done, success, works perfect.

Just for safe measure, now that the phone is on 4ZUID, I did another factory reset, so the phone will remove every One UI 3.1 file that might be lingering in the background that could potentially be causing issues and so far I haven't had anything go wrong. Been working perfect all day. I signed into my Google account and Samsung Account, restored the backup, all apps so far are working. The only weird thing I noticed is that is now says my phone is SM-G998U1/DS instead of just SM-G998U1.

But other than that, I'm going to play the risky game and daily this thing just to see how terrible my life becomes if everything go south lol.

Hope something in this post helps people out.

EDIT:
eSIM also works fine for those who were asking.

Is there any lag? I also did a factory reset. Got alot less lag but pulling down notification shade and in app drawer was annoying so I went back to stable build. Saw a video where sstech was demonstrating the fluidity of the UI. His is really smooth, I even asked if it's beta 1 and he confirmed. Didn't ask if it was exynos or snapdragon. But mines wasn't as fluid as his. How is your experience?

bANONYMOUS

Dec 30, 2011
Canada, Earth.
It works flawless, at first I didn't even think it worked cause 4.0 looks so much like 3.1 that I thought the flash actually failed and it restored back to 3.1 until I checked the software info to see it was actually on 4.0

It's just like a normal phone, no lag at all, it's not getting hot or anything for daily use all day today. What apps are you running in the background? It might be something you have installed is not working well with 4.0 causing high background usage.

bANONYMOUS

Dec 30, 2011
Canada, Earth.
Can you give me the exact instructions ti flash it using the alliance x app. I tried both renaming it to update.zip and just leaving it as a bin file anf both start to flash and then stop at 20-30% with the error message.
You need to change the firmware using the patched Odin 3.13.1
You have to be on the specific firmware FIRST before you can update to One UI 4.0.

So for instance, my phone is SM-G998W, if I flash the SM-G998U1 firmware linked in this thread, it will fail, I MUST be on SM-G998U1 FIRST before I can flash the update. So I need to use the patched Odin to go from W to U1, once I am on the U1 firmware with the latest update (4AUH9), then I can update to One UI 4.0

That is your first step, flash the correct firmware needed first using Odin, then you can update.

Slypnslyde

Jan 5, 2013
Wilmington, DE
You need to change the firmware using the patched Odin 3.13.1
You have to be on the specific firmware FIRST before you can update to One UI 4.0.

So for instance, my phone is SM-G998W, if I flash the SM-G998U1 firmware linked in this thread, it will fail, I MUST be on SM-G998U1 FIRST before I can flash the update. So I need to use the patched Odin to go from W to U1, once I am on the U1 firmware with the latest update (4AUH9), then I can update to One UI 4.0

That is your first step, flash the correct firmware needed first using Odin, then you can update.
So for instance since I'm on SM-G998U I have the Tmobile s21 ultra version of the the update. I need to flash that through Odin?

Reactions: MastNi

bANONYMOUS

Dec 30, 2011
Canada, Earth.
So for instance since I'm on SM-G998U I have the Tmobile s21 ultra version of the the update. I need to flash that through Odin?
Only thing I can think of for this instance is the CSC causing issues, I was using XAA which is unlocked from samsung, no carrier specific version and it worked for me, so maybe try SM-G998U XAA? Instead of SM-G998U TMB like your phone has?

Or alternatively, try doing it the way I did by doing a factory reset and wipe everything, then set the phone up with no accounts and flash the update using ADB

bANONYMOUS

Dec 30, 2011
Canada, Earth.
OK so I've played around for a few days with the beta... its nice vut now I want to go back to stable.

How can I do that with out losing data?
I believe all you have to do is download the official firmware from Frija, flash with patched Odin, but make sure to use HOME_CSC and not CSC. CSC will wipe your phone, HOME_CSC retains data. And you should be good to go.
But, with all flashes, be prepared for a factory reset if something goes wrong, so backup your phone anyway just to be sure.

readymarc

Dec 30, 2016
OK so I've played around for a few days with the beta... its nice vut now I want to go back to stable.

How can I do that with out losing data?
I believe all you have to do is download the official firmware from Frija, flash with patched Odin, but make sure to use HOME_CSC and not CSC. CSC will wipe your phone, HOME_CSC retains data. And you should be good to go.
But, with all flashes, be prepared for a factory reset if something goes wrong, so backup your phone anyway just to be sure.

I think he should wipe data. Problems might occur with moving from beta to stable. I did that just in case of any app data problems that might present itself.

readymarc

Dec 30, 2016
It works flawless, at first I didn't even think it worked cause 4.0 looks so much like 3.1 that I thought the flash actually failed and it restored back to 3.1 until I checked the software info to see it was actually on 4.0

It's just like a normal phone, no lag at all, it's not getting hot or anything for daily use all day today. What apps are you running in the background? It might be something you have installed is not working well with 4.0 causing high background usage.
You're lucky, I did a fresh install and installed apps one by one, no restore and still it lags, well not much but navigating the app drawer left to right, you can notice the drop frames.

You have the snapdragon or exynos?

bANONYMOUS

Dec 30, 2011
Canada, Earth.
What bugs are people getting? So far everything except for the DJI Mimo app works for me, it just force closes when I try to open it, and randomly after about a day of use, the swipe up to go home gesture doesn't work until I restart. But restarting my phone every morning, I haven't seen this issue again.

So realistically, the only issue's I'm having is that one app doesn't open, and I have to reboot my phone every morning so the swipe to home gesture remains working, it's really not the end of the world and this is insanely stable for a "beta"

I'm also not experiencing any slow down or lag at all with the app drawer or notifications, but I'm also using Nova Launcher so could possibly be a One UI launcher issue cause I don't have any lag at all with Nova. I also have the phone set to 720p, with the DPI changed to 512 which gives the same scaling at the 1440p resolution, while using basically half the power for the display which might also be a cause of not having any lag.

What kind of issues is everyone else getting?

maddoggin

Jul 6, 2010
corpus christ
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
You can update from that one too, it just cant be older than 4AUH9
I'm guessing you have to reset your phone and before running thru setup reboot to recovery and flash update? But then how do you get adb permissions after reset? You'd have to run thru real fast and go to setti G's give adb permission and flash updates but that defeats the purpose doesn't it? Sorry just trying to figure out why I keep getti g error whe. Sideloading update.

elliwigy

Forum Moderator / Recognized Dev / Dev Relations
Staff member
XDA App Taskforce
Only thing I can think of for this instance is the CSC causing issues, I was using XAA which is unlocked from samsung, no carrier specific version and it worked for me, so maybe try SM-G998U XAA? Instead of SM-G998U TMB like your phone has?

Or alternatively, try doing it the way I did by doing a factory reset and wipe everything, then set the phone up with no accounts and flash the update using ADB
i left detailed instructions and explanation as to why in a previous post specifically for G998U and G998U1 devices lol..

There is no g998u xaa firmware.. xaa is samsung usa unlocked model which is the U1 models i.e. g998u1=xaa g998u=tmb,spr,att,vzw etc. etc. But yes, if they are using a g998u1 4AUH9 to 4ZUID update.zip then they need to use modified odin and flash g998u1 4AUH9 firmware to their g998u device then adb sideload the update zip

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    BETA 1 G998U1 AUH9 to ZUID : Download thanks to @darkjavapro

BETA 1 G998U AUH9 to ZUID: Download thanks to @goofwear

BETA 2 G998U ZUID to ZUJ1: Download thanks to @goofwear

Here is instruction how to capture update file: https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...for-s21-plus-ultra-download-ota-link.4333487/

Instructions provided by @elliwigy :

- Model needs to be G998U or G998U1
    - Flash the starting firmware to your device using modified odin if you are not already on it (this example needs to flash G998U1 4AUH9 to your G998U or G998U1 if not already on it.)
    - Download G998U1 4AUH9 to 4ZUID update.zip to your PC.
    - Have the update zip in same directory as ADB binary (if not in PATH) then open a terminal window (Windows will be powershell or cmd prompt.)
    - Use hardware buttons to enter recovery mode then select "Apply Update Using ADB...) or if you have adb on device authorized can type in terminal "adb reboot sideload" or "adb reboot recovery" then select "Apply Update Using ADB..."
    - Once in sideliad mode, type in terminal "adb sideload nameofupdate.zip"
    Beta 2 For g998u1 zuid to zuji
    http://fota-secure-dn.ospserver.net:80/firmware/VZW/SM-G998U1/nspx/0519fdcc65a041c3ae9c75de830ac3f0.bin?px-time=61abf252&px-hash=c83cd36ddace9b10ffe005d3ce545947&px-wid=1188933-WSA211005225721&px-wctime=2021-10-05%2022:57:21&px-unum=&px-nb=UGtezEZ854jbmFcvWGxLEA==
    seems people forgot how updates work.. if you post a ota file you should list the device, starting firmware and the firmware you are moving to else it will not work..

for example i posted link for G998U1 4AUH9-4ZUID zip..

This means the following:

Device: SM-G998U1
    Firmware I Was On: 4AUH9
    Beta Firmware: 4ZUID

So the steps would be (f9r this specific example):

1) Own a SM-G998U or SM-G998U1
    - since the zip is for G998U1, if you own a SM-G998U, you will need to flash SM-G998U1 firmware to it using modified odin (see next step for firmware info)

2) In my example (also was my case) my device was on G998U1 rev4 firmware 4AUH9. Therefore to use the zip you need to be on this same firmware. If you arent already then you would need to use modified odin to flash your g998u or g998u1 to rev4 G998U1 4AUH9 firmware else install will fail.

3) Download the zip (if you download directly from Samsung you'll get a bin file, just rename it to .zip if you want or if you have issues installing it named .bin).

4) Using adb, type: adb reboot sideload

5) Once in adb sideload, type: adb sideload update.zip
    - Depending on what OS you are using, adb might be in your path, if not then have the adb binary in same directory as your update zip. If its in path just open terminal in same directory you have the update zip.

6) Let it update, it might take a while but should go through successfully.

If you are not sure what firmware you need to be on then you can open or extract the zip using an archive manager such as 7-zip and navigate to the update-script and open it in a text editor like notepad++ and you will see what you need to be on to start with.

The update-script has commands to do various checks so when you go to sideload it, it will check what device you are on, what firmware you are on, if firmware has been modified on the device, if zip has been modified etc. and if something doesnt check out it will fail. For example if youre rooted it will fail.. 8f you modify the zip it will fail.. if you try to flash a zip on a different variant or model it will fail.. if you arent on the starting firmware it looks for it will fail..

this is how its always been and is designed to not brick your device as well as security in mind i.e. cant pre root or change script to root device as it will break the zip/signature etc. etc.
    You can also update using the alliance app by sideloading update it works amazingly well.No PC needed.
    Only downfall to that is when you do a factory reset after AUH9, you gotta set the phone up again, sign into Google Play, download the app (or download from a third party website), download the update.zip, sideload it with alliance, factory reset, then set the phone up again for the best stability otherwise you have rogue 3.1 files in the background that can cause unknown stability issues.

It's just a lot faster when you can just press some buttons to get into sideload from recovery, flash the zip with a single command on the PC, factory reset from recovery before rebooting the phone, and you're instantly back at the setup screen on One UI 4.0b1 ready to set it up and go. Then you can just sideload OTA's after that without issue. So, in the sense of using Alliance for OTA's while ALREADY ON 4.0, then it COULD be a good choice if we weren't running Beta software. But again, ADB on PC is safer since that Alliance app was never tested on One UI 4.0, so it could crash mid flash and soft brick your device causing you to restart the entire process over again from square one, which you would then need ADB on a PC anyway.

Once ADB is setup system wide, you can use it at free will in seconds, no matter how many factory resets or different phones, it's always just one and done ready to go on your computer, a simple USB cable away. Nothing to setup again unless you reinstall Windows. So it's always the preferred method we use. Doing anything involving flashing from the device itself can be fast in some instances, but it's always dangerous and should be avoided if you have safer options like ADB on the PC.

So for this update, if I'm on AUI7 can i sideload beta 2 from that? Or do I have to downgrade to UH9 then sideload beta 1 then sideload beta 2 after that?
    Downgrade to AUH9, sideload ZUID, sideload ZUJ1

Canadian S21 Ultra 998W series with U1 XAA UI7 series update installed.
    Backed up data (in case you know)
    Used ODIN 3.14.1 to go to UH9 with HOME_CSC (meaning do not erase data), reboot, NO issues
    ADB the UH9 to UID One UI 4.0 update Beta 1, NO issues
    ADB the UID to UJ1 One UI 4.0 update Betas 2, NO issues

SM-G998U1 -> SM-G998U1/DS with 1 October 2021

eSIM is showing up on Telus and 5G is working as before with the XAA UI7

Beta 2 G998U1 ZUID to ZUJ1: Download thanks to @darkjavapro

Here is instruction how to capture update file: https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...for-s21-plus-ultra-download-ota-link.4333487/

- Flash the starting firmware to your device using modified odin if you are not already on it (this example needs to flash G998U1 4AUH9 to your G998U or G998U1 if not already on it.)
    - Have the update zip in same directory as ADB binary (if not in PATH) then open a terminal window (Windows will be powershell or cmd prompt.)
    - Use hardware buttons to enter recovery mode then select "Apply Update Using ADB...) or if you have adb on device authorized can type in terminal "adb reboot sideload" or "adb reboot recovery" then select "Apply Update Using ADB..."

Beta 2 For g998u1 zuid to zuji
    http://fota-secure-dn.ospserver.net:80/firmware/VZW/SM-G998U1/nspx/0519fdcc65a041c3ae9c75de830ac3f0.bin?px-time=61abf252&px-hash=c83cd36ddace9b10ffe005d3ce545947&px-wid=1188933-WSA211005225721&px-wctime=2021-10-05%2022:57:21&px-unum=&px-nb=UGtezEZ854jbmFcvWGxLEA==
    SM-G998U1

4AUH9 to 4ZUID Update Zip

seems people forgot how updates work.. if you post a ota file you should list the device, starting firmware and the firmware you are moving to else it will not work..

for example i posted link for G998U1 4AUH9-4ZUID zip..

This means the following:

Device: SM-G998U1
    Firmware I Was On: 4AUH9
    Beta Firmware: 4ZUID

So the steps would be (f9r this specific example):

1) Own a SM-G998U or SM-G998U1
    - since the zip is for G998U1, if you own a SM-G998U, you will need to flash SM-G998U1 firmware to it using modified odin (see next step for firmware info)

2) In my example (also was my case) my device was on G998U1 rev4 firmware 4AUH9. Therefore to use the zip you need to be on this same firmware. If you arent already then you would need to use modified odin to flash your g998u or g998u1 to rev4 G998U1 4AUH9 firmware else install will fail.

3) Download the zip (if you download directly from Samsung you'll get a bin file, just rename it to .zip if you want or if you have issues installing it named .bin).

4) Using adb, type: adb reboot sideload

5) Once in adb sideload, type: adb sideload update.zip
    - Depending on what OS you are using, adb might be in your path, if not then have the adb binary in same directory as your update zip. If its in path just open terminal in same directory you have the update zip.

6) Let it update, it might take a while but should go through successfully.

If you are not sure what firmware you need to be on then you can open or extract the zip using an archive manager such as 7-zip and navigate to the update-script and open it in a text editor like notepad++ and you will see what you need to be on to start with.

The update-script has commands to do various checks so when you go to sideload it, it will check what device you are on, what firmware you are on, if firmware has been modified on the device, if zip has been modified etc. and if something doesnt check out it will fail. For example if youre rooted it will fail.. 8f you modify the zip it will fail.. if you try to flash a zip on a different variant or model it will fail.. if you arent on the starting firmware it looks for it will fail..

this is how its always been and is designed to not brick your device as well as security in mind i.e. cant pre root or change script to root device as it will break the zip/signature etc. etc.