• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

One version for US and Rest-of-World this year?

Search This thread

zeact

Jun 14, 2007
We know 1st gen Pixel has two version: NA and RoW(Rest of world) , but i found UK and AU store website which should be the "RoW version" has exactly the same radio band support as as US store version .
So this year Pixel 2 seems only have one version for all ? or is it just wrong info on the spec page? I'm confused.

Belimawr

Aug 26, 2016
its good if it is, as then everyone gets all the bands so you can travel anywhere with the phone. seems only difference will be project-fi in the US using an esim.

okgnew

Mar 9, 2009
Yes, of course it's cheaper to make only one version, but so far no company managed to integrate support for 21 LTE bands and all possible carrier aggregation combinations used in US/EU/Asia.
Not even Apple (who like to save cost more than any other company I have dealt with).
It all results in extra antennas and radio front-end components that need extra space and cost extra money.
Congratulations to Google/Qualcomm/LG/HTC if they actually managed it this time

FMXP

Jul 30, 2007
Yes, of course it's cheaper to make only one version, but so far no company managed to integrate support for 21 LTE bands and all possible carrier aggregation combinations used in US/EU/Asia.
Not even Apple (who like to save cost more than any other company I have dealt with).
It all results in extra antennas and radio front-end components that need extra space and cost extra money.

The Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 has 43 International LTE bands including all the US ones
The OnePlus 5 does too

Last edited:

scandalousk

Jul 29, 2012
Does it also support all possible carrier aggregation band pairings?

The Pixel 2 XL supports 4G pretty much anywhere in the world.
Carrier-aggregation might be another story though, the USA and EU models might differ in what bands they can combine.
Google hasn't mentioned what bands are supported for C-A so we don't know yet. If anyone was thinking about getting the phone in the USA I'd hold of for just a bit until it's been clarified.

discoltk

Jan 13, 2010
I live in Japan and was waiting for Pixel 2 for ages, was super disappointed that they are not only failing to sell this here, but didn't include the appropriate bands for Japan. Bands 1/3 will work and you'll just have **** coverage if you're in a basement or out in the country, which is good enough I guess for a tourist. I ended up buying last year's Pixel after waiting a year for the 2.

I just came across this today after digging for info on the Pixel v1 I just got. Not sure if I'll be more or less annoyed if I find out the Pixel 2 really does secretly support other bands.

Edit: Bands 19 & 21 are what I need to full coverage.

jerryhou85

Forum Moderator
Staff member
I live in Japan and was waiting for Pixel 2 for ages, was super disappointed that they are not only failing to sell this here, but didn't include the appropriate bands for Japan. Bands 1/3 will work and you'll just have **** coverage if you're in a basement or out in the country, which is good enough I guess for a tourist. I ended up buying last year's Pixel after waiting a year for the 2.

I just came across this today after digging for info on the Pixel v1 I just got. Not sure if I'll be more or less annoyed if I find out the Pixel 2 really does secretly support other bands.

Edit: Bands 19 & 21 are what I need to full coverage.
Usually I use this website to check for phone's coverage: http://willmyphonework.net/

zeact

Jun 14, 2007
Sadly,they drop the LTE band39 support this year, Living in China , and this is one of the bands China Mobile use in my city. B3/B38/B40/B41 are the other bands China Mobile using. So it should be some coverage problem especially in tunnel or subway.