• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

General OnePlus 2.0: Oxygen OS - Color OS merge in 2022

Are you looking forward to the OOS and Color OS merge?

• Total voters
Search This thread

stazz83

Apr 3, 2012
OnePlus 9 Pro
OnePlus’ OxygenOS is going away – and so is Oppo’s ColorOS. The code bases for the two will be joined together to create a unified operating system (which will probably have a catchy name, but that hasn’t been announced yet).

Sources:

What are your thoughts on this change coming next year?

Buslova

Jan 11, 2012
OnePlus 9 Pro
I can't find a definitive answer yet, but will the new OS be applied to current oneplus models or just new 2022 phones onwards?
It will launch on Oneplus10 model and then it will be applied to all previous supported devices (still receiving updates) when they have a version of Android 13 ready. So either very late 2022 or 2023 before older devices see this unified OS.

Reactions: hallo dare

Buslova

Jan 11, 2012
OnePlus 9 Pro
I think a LOT of people will make rash, early comments before they even know what the unified OS ends up being. Oneplus CEO (Pete Lau) said "OnePlus has a unique group of users, therefore we will customize the unified OS specifically for OnePlus devices to make sure it meets your expectations, for example by keeping it as clean and lightweight as before, and continuing to support unlock bootloaders." Considering those of us in the states only have 2 choices for manufacturers with unlocked bootloaders, I'm fine with all this. If I don't like their new unified OS guess what? I can replace it.

Reactions: null0seven

stazz83

Apr 3, 2012
OnePlus 9 Pro
I can't find a definitive answer yet, but will the new OS be applied to current oneplus models or just new 2022 phones onwards?
A copy/paste from Android Authority:

• Next OnePlus flagship will be the first to come with a new unified OS that merges Color OS and Oxygen OS.
  • OnePlus 9 and OnePlus 8 series will also get the integrated operating system.
  • Older OnePlus phones will continue getting their promised Oxygen OS updates.

Reactions: hallo dare

hallo dare

Jan 23, 2012
OnePlus 9 Pro

• Next OnePlus flagship will be the first to come with a new unified OS that merges Color OS and Oxygen OS.
Thanks. I've also seen it where it's being said that the OnePlus 9 series is to get it before the end of this year, so I'd just like to hear something definitive.

stazz83

Apr 3, 2012
OnePlus 9 Pro
I understood that we won't get it this year, but only after the next flagship, at some point in Q2.

This was also announced on the OnePlus blog by Pete Lau:

1632155292915.png

Buslova

Jan 11, 2012
OnePlus 9 Pro

9 & 8 will get it but not till the android 13 version of it is ready according to phonearena and another site (don't remember now)

I think a LOT of people will make rash, early comments before they even know what the unified OS ends up being. Oneplus CEO (Pete Lau) said "OnePlus has a unique group of users, therefore we will customize the unified OS specifically for OnePlus devices to make sure it meets your expectations, for example by keeping it as clean and lightweight as before, and continuing to support unlock bootloaders." Considering those of us in the states only have 2 choices for manufacturers with unlocked bootloaders, I'm fine with all this. If I don't like their new unified OS guess what? I can replace it.
I agree people will be quick to judge before the final product and am happy they will remain committed to unlocked bootloader's. But there are 3 OEMs in the US market for that, since I presume 2nd you're thinking is Google, and 3rd would be Motorola actually. They make you go through additional steps but I've unlocked a Moto G Power 2021 easily and am under the impression they're all similar (though you need an unlock key not dissimilar to carrier OnePlus devices, though easier to obtain)

Buslova

Jan 11, 2012
OnePlus 9 Pro
I agree people will be quick to judge before the final product and am happy they will remain committed to unlocked bootloader's. But there are 3 OEMs in the US market for that, since I presume 2nd you're thinking is Google, and 3rd would be Motorola actually. They make you go through additional steps but I've unlocked a Moto G Power 2021 easily and am under the impression they're all similar (though you need an unlock key not dissimilar to carrier OnePlus devices, though easier to obtain)
True, Motorola can't seem to decide what their stance is on bootloaders. I haven't looked into them in a while since they stopped trying to compete in the flagship market for a few years (I know they're returning). I used to love their devices though. Had the og Moto Droid 1 and tinkered with a few others. Also miss HTC devices of old. I would also like to see how willing they are to support a previously unlocked bootloader phone. Oneplus and Google don't seem to care too much unless you really did something crazy. Also....I try to stay away from carrier versions. US carriers are one of the things really holding us back.

True, Motorola can't seem to decide what their stance is on bootloaders. I haven't looked into them in a while since they stopped trying to compete in the flagship market for a few years (I know they're returning). I used to love their devices though. Had the og Moto Droid 1 and tinkered with a few others. Also miss HTC devices of old. I would also like to see how willing they are to support a previously unlocked bootloader phone. Oneplus and Google don't seem to care too much unless you really did something crazy. Also....I try to stay away from carrier versions. US carriers are one of the things really holding us back.
Agreed, I bought a carrier OP9 originally and realized I'd have to wait to pay off + 2 weeks to get bootloader unlocked so I returned and bought unlocked on a credit card w/ similar financing terms. Plus I wanted the green which T-Mobile didn't sell.

Motorola does unfortunately take a hard stance on "this voids your warranty" and require your SN to unlock the bl so no way around the warranty. As much as US carriers suck, they are the easiest way people can afford flagship phones, but it's not like every American needs one, we are sorely lacking good mid-range options, and it's most definitely their fault with their pricing structure and marketing tactics pushing customers to either the lowest- or highest-tier phones

borisSweden

May 10, 2021
Sources:

What are your thoughts on this change coming next year?
They already did that with OOS and HOS. The merge made it worse and caused the data leaks. The merge pretty much killed of any remnant of Parandroid code.

speedyjay

Oct 22, 2011
Farnborough
If the new merger brings the restrictiveness that Oppo implements, then i will be leaving OnePlus sharpish. By restrictiveness i mean the inability to unlock the bootloader and root etc....

phr0zen

May 24, 2009
OnePlus 7 Pro
Surprised no one's said Cologen (collagen) yet.
Coxy Lorgen.
It's 2am and I'm delirious.
Honestly, I'm indifferent. Don't know much about ColorOS to begin with. Haven't been super impressed with OOS as of late. As another said, kudos to the team for keeping the bootloader unlocked so we can flash something else.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    It will launch on Oneplus10 model and then it will be applied to all previous supported devices (still receiving updates) when they have a version of Android 13 ready. So either very late 2022 or 2023 before older devices see this unified OS.

I guess the new name might be OxyColOS? 😁😳