[OnePlus 3] How to Unlock Bootloader, Flash TWRP, Root, Nandroid Backup and More !

Search This thread

Vandy2304

Dec 12, 2014
Chandigarh
TWRP goes back to Stock

So I followed each and every step properly and everything was going fine, I also installed TWRP and reboot into system. But when I rebooted back into recovery all I could see was the stock recovery. What am I doing wrong?

TNSMANI

Senior Moderator / RC-RT Committee
Staff member
Jan 8, 2014
Chennai
OnePlus 9 Pro
This only has some files that open and don't install anything.
Read about adb first before commenting.

---------- Post added at 05:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:44 PM ----------

So I followed each and every step properly and everything was going fine, I also installed TWRP and reboot into system. But when I rebooted back into recovery all I could see was the stock recovery. What am I doing wrong?

After installing TWRP, boot into recovery (TWRP) and from there into system. If that doesn't work, flash ROM, then TWRP and then Magisk and you will be good to go.

RyxeL

Feb 12, 2014
malang
I have following the step for unlocking bootloader and flashing TWRP but after flashing TWRP, it ask me for a password. then I provide my old lockscreen password it says "decrypt took too long, killing process. failed to decrypt data". any solution for this?

dinesh.0430

Jan 27, 2016
I would like to know if the latest 5.0.5 on Oneplus 3 would prevent us from rooting?
Would also like to have the link for twrp recovery files intented for 5.0.5 OnePlus 3.
Sorry for the bad English and I'm a noob in these matters.

Last edited:

TNSMANI

Staff member
Jan 8, 2014
Chennai
OnePlus 9 Pro
I would like to know if the latest 5.0.5 on Oneplus 3 would prevent us from rooting?
Would also like to have the link for twrp recovery files intented for 5.0.5 OnePlus 3.
Sorry for the bad English and I'm a noob in these matters.
No ROM, whether stable, Beta OOS or any Custom ROM, will prevent you from rooting OP3.

Use the Official TWRP 3.2.3 from twrp.me

Reactions: dinesh.0430

dinesh.0430

Jan 27, 2016
No ROM, whether stable, Beta OOS or any Custom ROM, will prevent you from rooting OP3.

Use the Official TWRP 3.2.3 from twrp.me
Thanks for the fast reply, brother.
Would you recommend super su or magisk and the version?
Thanks in advance.

I think that just replacing the twrp file from the below thread with twrp 3.2.3 would just do the trick.

https://www.google.co.in/amp/s/xdaf...plus-3-how-to-unlock-bootloader-t3398733/amp/

I also have a doubt regarding dmverity but in the above thread OP didn't mention about anything regarding dmverity I hope you could tell me something to do about dmverity (I already did a little research and got answers saying that it could become a major problem if not taken care of) :good:

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

TNSMANI

Staff member
Jan 8, 2014
Chennai
OnePlus 9 Pro
Thanks for the fast reply, brother.
Would you recommend super su or magisk and the version?
Thanks in advance.

I think that just replacing the twrp file from the below thread with twrp 3.2.3 would just do the trick.

https://www.google.co.in/amp/s/xdaf...plus-3-how-to-unlock-bootloader-t3398733/amp/

I also have a doubt regarding dmverity but in the above thread OP didn't mention about anything regarding dmverity I hope you could tell me something to do about dmverity (I already did a little research and got answers saying that it could become a major problem if not taken care of) :good:

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
I would recommend Magisk which doesn't seem to have any issues.

Yes, replacing the TWRP with 3.2.3 will be fine.

You say that you are going to flash 5.0.5. In such an event dm-verity should not be an issue. Even if it does somehow, it can be overcome easily by flashing the dm-verity zip.

Last edited:

dinesh.0430

Jan 27, 2016
I would recommend Magisk which doesn't seem to have any issues.

Yes, replacing the TWRP with 3.2.3 will be fine.

You say that you are going to flash 5.0.5. In such an event dm-verity should not be an issue. Even if it does somehow, it can be overcome easily by flashing the dm-verity zip.

Thanks mate, a little correction I didn't want to flash 5.0.5 . What I am saying is I already have 5.0.5 but wanted to flash AEX or RR, regarding firmware when should we flash these firmwares and verity.zip?

kousik

Nov 28, 2010
Bangalore
Just for the record, I flashed lineageos nightly 15.1 and supersu didn't work (boot stuck in 1+ logo), also I read magisk has issues with it, so what finally worked for rooting is addonsu that's available as lineageos/extras.

fretjes

Nov 21, 2009
search for fastboot driver. i had the same issues and that resolved it for me

I've had exactly the same problem and messages. Can you supply me with a link to the fastboot driver.? It seems that the phone is not connected to the PC. Is it possible that the supplied USB drivers are no good from google.???

TNSMANI

Staff member
Jan 8, 2014
Chennai
OnePlus 9 Pro
I've had exactly the same problem and messages. Can you supply me with a link to the fastboot driver.? It seems that the phone is not connected to the PC. Is it possible that the supplied USB drivers are no good from google.???

Using the OnePlus supplied drivers, you shouldn't have any problem. Do you have them or not?

sangriaman

Jul 29, 2009
Guimarães
Hi, just for the record. I sucessfully rooted the device but using magisk. SuperSU isnt working anymore. Maybe someone can update the OP. Where can I get the Dm-verity ZIP?

samz2

Mar 14, 2017
I have unlocked the bootloader, flashed TWRP, rooted on stock Oxygen os. Since, I was unsure about installing custom kernel at the time of doing this, I had setup my apps & stuff.
If I want to install the kernel now, do I have to clean flash Oxygen or can I dirty flash the kernel? I am a bit confused which should I choose Franco's kernel (or should I go with BluSpark) if I want to strike a balance between performance and battery, would appreciate suggestions.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Credits :- @Snoop05 for 15 sec ADB Installer , @Grarak for TWRP , @Chromium for the thread template !

Q9IP5VP.png

3RVsG8v.png

Information

Rooting this device is actually quite a simple and easy process. Before you begin, it is recommended that you at least try to understand what each part of the process will do. Although this guide will elongate each step in order to show all of the details, the method used can be broken up into 3 main steps: Unlocking the Bootloader, Installing a Custom Recovery and finally Rooting. Each new step relies on the previous step to have been completed, and a basic summary of each part is:

1. Unlocking Bootloader: Opens the door to the internal memory of the device to be written on to. This allows you to flash images onto the main partitions of the phone.
    2. Installing a Custom Recovery: A custom recovery is flashed onto the recovery partition of the device and overwrites the stock recovery that exists by default. Custom recoveries bring lots of functionality and give you the ability to perform wipes, install flashable zips, create full backups of your NAND (Nandroid backup), and various other features. An unlocked bootloader is needed to install a custom recovery.
    3. Rooting: You can gain root by either flashing via recovery a pre-rooted custom rom, or flashing a zip containing the SuperSU binaries. A custom recovery is necessary to do this.

After completing these steps your phone will be rooted, the phone will have a custom recovery installed, and the phones bootloader will be unlocked. This, in our opinion, is the most practical and beneficial method for rooting your phone. It gives you some basic adb/fastboot knowledge, and should hopefully help you have a decent understanding of what is going on. Also this method will work regardless of what android version your phone has.

If you are confused by anything in this guide, we would highly suggest getting it clarified being before moving on. Ask your question in this thread and we or someone else will likely answer. Also we would suggest that you read over the whole thread a few times before actually doing anything to the phone.

Understood? Good...let's begin

4. Rooting

Now that your phone has an unlocked bootloader and a custom recovery installed, you have two options to gain root (Pick one or the other. You don't need to do both. ).

Option A) Flash SuperSU binaries which will give you root with the stock ROM
    • Confirm that you have downloaded the SuperSU zip from the downloads section above. Connect OP3 to PC and send SuperSU to your phone.
    • Turn the phone off. Then boot into recovery mode by holding volume down + power. Leave the phone at the main screen of the custom recovery for now.
    • Install > browse to SuperSU zip and select it
    • Swipe to confirm the installation. Then reboot.

Option B) Flash a custom rom which will come pre-rooted
    • Note that not all custom roms will be pre rooted, however the majority of them are. Read the OP of the ROM thread to see what the verdict is.
    • Copy a custom rom (you can find these in the OnePlus 3 ROMs, Kernels, Recoveries, & Other Development section of XDA or Custom OP3 Software section on OnePlus Forums) onto the phone (remember the location of where you copy it to)
    • Turn the phone off then boot into recovery mode by holding volume down + power. To install a custom ROM the general procedure to follow is: wipe Dalvik + System + Data + Cache, flash ROM, flash GApps.
    • Wipe > Advanced Wipe > Select Dalvik + System + Data + Cache > Swipe to Wipe
    • Install > browse to the location where you previously copied the ROM zip and select it > Swipe to confirm the installation
    • Install GApps using same process as ROM, then reboot.

Keep in mind that the first boot after installing a custom ROM & wiping the phone may take longer than usual, as the phone will need to rebuild the dalvik cache and initialize other first boot stuff.

Congrats! That is all! Your phone now has an unlocked bootloader, a custom recovery installed and is rooted. Enjoy !

The very first thing we highly recommend you to do now is to take EFS Backup and save it at your cloud and PC. It is very very important.

5. Making an EFS Backup

All too often, we've seen folks who have a corrupted or missing EFS Partition. This results in your IMEI being lost and no cellular activity on the device at all. This can be a royal PITA to fix, and some folks haven't been able to fix it at all. You can take a precautionary measure to safeguard yourself against this by taking a couple of minutes to back up your modemst files.

1. Open up Terminal Emulator on your phone (if you don't have it you can download it here).
    2. Once it's open you'll be greeted with a command line prompt, in which you can enter text commands, the first thing you need to do is enable root access by entering this line (press the enter key on your on-screen keyboard after each command to issue it):
      Code:
      su
      If this is the first time you've used Terminal Emulator a Superuser or SuperSU popup will appear, make sure you grant root access.
    3. Now enter these two commands:
      Code:
      dd if=/dev/block/sdf1 of=/sdcard/modemst1.bin bs=512
      Code:
      dd if=/dev/block/sdf2 of=/sdcard/modemst2.bin bs=512

This will place two files (modemst1.bin & modemst2.bin) on your internal storage. Make sure you copy them to your PC and other Clouds immediately so that you have a backup there to use if you need to restore it in future.

That's it !! Incase you ever need to restore Nanroid or EFS Backups, continue.

6. Restoring a Nandroid Backup
    Note: If you happened to forget to remove lockscreen security (PIN/Pattern/Fingerprint) before creating your backup, and you cannot get into your OS after restoring, you can do the following to fix the issue. Boot into TWRP and use the built in file manager to delete /data/sytem/locksettings.db. This should be enough to get you into your OS again. If it isn't you can also try deleting /data/system/locksettings.db-shm and /data/system/locksettings.db-wal. If this still doesn't fix your issue you can delete /data/system/gatekeeper.password.key and /data/system/gatekeeper.pattern.key.

1. Boot into TWRP Recovery .
    2. [Only and Only if you want to restore /system and /data too from the Backup] Wipe > Advanced Wipe > Select Dalvik + System + Data + Cache > Swipe to Wipe. Go back to TWRP Home.
    3. Go to Restore Menu and select the backup you want to restore.
    4. Select the partitions you want to restore.
    5. Swipe to Restore. The process will take some time.
    6. Reboot

7. Restoring an EFS Backup

If by chance you end up with a corrupt EFS partition all you need to do is flash the files back to your device using fastboot.

1. Boot into fastboot mode (power + volume up) and connect your phone to your PC via usb cable.
    2. Keep modemst1.bin and modemst2.bin (backed up earlier) on your desktop and open command window there.
    3. These fastboot commands will restore the files:
      Code:
      fastboot flash modemst1 modemst1.bin
      Code:
      fastboot flash modemst2 modemst2.bin
    4. Reboot your device.
      Code:
      fastboot reboot

Now disconnect phone from PC. Hope your IMEI etc is back.

That's it for the guide. Enjoy !

Setup, Preparation and Prerequisites

Basic tasks that may be referred to throughout this guide:
    Open command prompt - Press Shift + Right Click anywhere on the screen and select Open Command Window here/
    Enter fastboot mode- Turn the phone off. Hold volume up + power until the "fastboot" screen appears. [Alternatively, if Advanced Reboot is enabled, you can press Reboot -> Bootloader from the power menu.]
    Enter recovery mode - Turn the phone off. Hold volume down + power until the "OnePlus Logo" screen appears. [Alternatively, if Advanced Reboot is enabled, you can press Reboot -> Recovery from the power menu.]

ADB and Fastboot Installation

1. Download the ADB For Windows from here :- https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0MKgCbUM0itNVB1elljU2NPR0k
    2. Run the .exe file downloaded from above as Administrator.
    3. Press 'Y' every time the installer asks for.
    4. Continue Driver Installation.

Now,ADB and Fastboot have been installed on your PC. Great !

Some Important Things

• Show File Extensions - Open a command prompt window and run "Control folders" (without the quotes). Go to the View tab and uncheck the "Hide extensions for known file types" option. This will help avoid confusion when renaming files.
    • Battery - Ensure that your phone has at least 60% battery remaining, and that your PC is plugged in and wont shut down spontaneously during the process. The procedure doesn't take very long , but its best to have enough charge in case something goes wrong.
    • Backup (Optional) - Unlocking the bootloader will/should completely wipe all data from the device. This includes apps, settings and even the contents of the internal sdcard (pictures, music, etc.). Copy all important files off the phone onto a PC or upload them to a cloud.

Downloads
    Download a custom recovery and the SuperSU zip below. Place both files on the desktop.

TWRP:
    TWRP

Root:
    SuperSU

• USB Debugging - On your phone go to Settings > About phone > Tap on Build number 7 times. This will enable Developer options. Now go back to Settings > Developer options > Enable USB debugging
    • Enable OEM Unlocking - On your phone go to Settings > Developer options. Then enable the 'OEM Unlocking' option. Also,a free advice, make sure that from now on,OEM unlocking option is enabled before you reboot. Sometimes,it might get disabled itself.
    • Enable Advanced Reboot - On your phone go to Settings > Developer options. Then enable the 'Advanced Reboot' option.

1. Unlocking Bootloader
    • Turn the phone off. Then boot it into fastboot mode by holding volume up + power. The phone will display "fastboot" text indicating that it has successfully entered fastboot mode.
    • Plug the phone into your PC, then open a command prompt window on the desktop (Shift + Right Click -> Open Command Window here) and type :-
      Code:
      fastboot devices
      This command will list the connected devices. If your phones serial number shows up you are good to go and may continue. If the phone is NOT listed this indicates that your drivers are not installed correctly. In order for you to continue you must fix your drivers so that your phone is listed under fastboot devices.
    • If the phone has been recognized by the command above, proceed to unlocking the bootloader with the following command: Remember that this step will/should wipe EVERYTHING off the phone
      Code:
      fastboot oem unlock
    • After the above command has finished excuting, run the following
      Code:
      fastboot reboot

Now, your phone will reboot. Continue to the next step to install Custom Recovery ...