oneplus 3t kills background apps with high cpu usage

Search This thread

Dj_Fex

Jul 8, 2012
Aachen
Some of you probably heard of the oneplus 3 killing background apps after they hit a certain number (12)
this isn't the case anymore with our 3t and nougat (the limit is 32 now), but what I noticed was that the stock rom kills bg apps now that use "too much" cpu, which definitely is not what I want.
It even kills the app's instead of cleanly letting them shut themselves down, leading to data loss on my side

I basically sometimes let MozStumbler (app's name) run in the background which uses quite some GPS and cpu time and I know that and willingly want to drain a bit of battery life for that
the 3t has enough anyways
but it doesn't let me:
Screenshot_20170113-121013.jpg

as you can see in the log
bgdetect (whatever it is) seems to be killing the app

disabling strict standby for the app in the battery saving options doesn't fix it

it seems like the oneplus 3 already had the "issue":
https://forums.oneplus.net/threads/...lling-legitimate-background-processes.454330/

it would be amazing if somebody with enough knowledge and the same motivation as me could take a look at it :)

Regards,
Djfe

exaflare

Apr 14, 2013
Makati
Maybe this settings is killing the app to make sure that the phone doesn't heat up :)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170116-174112.png
    Screenshot_20170116-174112.png
    59 KB · Views: 1,761
  • Screenshot_20170116-174118.png
    Screenshot_20170116-174118.png
    142.2 KB · Views: 1,778

kriztan

Jun 7, 2016
Hi, I've gotten a lot of answers, beginning with resetting phone over flashing back to marshmallow but nothing helpful with Android 7. They told me that they were working on a patch. Let's wait for the next OTA.

kriztan

Jun 7, 2016
I've contacted the OnePlus support via forum and via support tickets about that, but they are as incompetent as possible. The OxygenOS is violating Android policies and the support is telling me that this a the normal use case. For me it was my first and only device from OnePlus.

https://forums.oneplus.net/threads/oxygenos-4-bgdetect-is-killing-background-processes.503627/

What will be the next? Device will switch off completely to save battery after some minutes in idle?

I'm saying good bye to OnePlus...

Reactions: Cottaer

C3C076

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Dec 15, 2012
Bratislava
ceco.sk.eu.org
I've contacted the OnePlus support via forum and via support tickets about that, but they are as incompetent as possible. The OxygenOS is violating Android policies and the support is telling me that this a the normal use case. For me it was my first and only device from OnePlus.

https://forums.oneplus.net/threads/oxygenos-4-bgdetect-is-killing-background-processes.503627/

What will be the next? Device will switch off completely to save battery after some minutes in idle?

Foreground service notifications in Android are there for a reason. If they forcibly close such services with BgDetect and claim it's normal they are just a bunch of incompetent ignorants.

Reactions: Cottaer

Astfgl NL

Jan 27, 2016
Utrecht

To be fair, your bug report says BgDetect is killing background processes, which I can understand it would do by design, when the real problem is that it silently kills foreground services as well.

I'm currently working on a project with a service that collects data from an external device, performs a number of calculations on that data, and then passes the results forward to a game running in the foreground. That means that, yes, that service is using up quite a few CPU cycles, but that's kind of the point. It doesn't mean that it should be killed off just like that, which is why I made it to run as a foreground service. But apparently OxygenOS begs to differ.

Fortunately, this project is targeted to run on a Samsung Galaxy S7, or maybe a Google Pixel, and I'm only running it on a OnePlus 3T for testing and debugging purposes. It just makes testing a bit annoying, plus I just spent half a day chasing a red herring.

Navi44

Jul 15, 2015
There is option to close high cpu usage apps like FB .Essemger, you can turn that off.
Mostly it gives notification about high cpu usages first and then when you click on it, it automatically closes from the next time onwards.

Cottaer

Dec 31, 2009
There is option to close high cpu usage apps like FB .Essemger, you can turn that off.
Mostly it gives notification about high cpu usages first and then when you click on it, it automatically closes from the next time onwards.

I did never receive such a notification, and it keeps closing apps every day but unpredictable. Sometimes apps don't run even 5 min in background and sometimes they stay for 12 hours. That includes PoGo, Firefox and my geocaching-app (I rarely use any other apps except a chat app). Often I also miss notifications from discord, so probably some more services are killed. I'm pretty sure it even crashed my geocache-database, a thing which did not happen in 3 1/2 year with my old device.

I got my device 4 weeks ago and would like to get rid of it already. As said above by somebody else, my first and last device from Oneplus.

GeoMW

Aug 13, 2012
For people looking for answer, under Settings/Battery/Battery optimization, there is list of apps and you can decide whether to optimize selected app or not. Optimize seems to be default and it means "restrict app running on background"

kriztan

Jun 7, 2016
This has nothing to do with Battery optimizations GeoMV. This is not an Android setting, but an OnePlus feature to save battery.
A real soloution is a new firmware, e.g. LineageOS. This is working since almost a year without any issues.

Top Liked Posts