• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Oneplus 3T stuck in boot animation after root attempt

Search This thread

Evanlw85

Aug 20, 2010
I have a stock Oneplus 3T, updated to 4.1.3. I wanted root access to allow Cerberus more control.

So I followed the Oneplus 3T root guide by "Theunlockr" .com

I downloaded:
TWRP v3.1.0-1-oneplus3t.img
SuperSU v2.78 SR5
No-Verity opt encript v5.1​

I followed the instructions as closely as I could, I installed the TWRP and cleared the phone (that booted normally),
Then I went to flash SuperSU and No-Verify, cleared the cache, restarted and my phone, and It didn't boot, the red dot logo animation would just play on a loop, I left it for an hour because it did warn me that it would take a while.

When I was satisfied that it wasn't going to start, I restarted it a couple of time, no-dice.
I also tried flashing a more up-to-date SuperSU. (v2.79), still didn't work.

So, now I've gotten myself further stuck, I flashed the stock recovery back onto the phone and decided i wanted to flash the Open Beta 5 OS.

But now when I go into recovery (stock), I can't connect to ADB properly.

I click " Install from ADB " - I've been using this, but it only seems to allow Sideload, but If I try to sideload it, it tells me it can't read the ROM.
So I changed ADB versions to the ones from mfastbootv2.
and now it says "error: protocol fault (no status)",
I can't use the push command because it just says "Error: closed"

So I'm kinda stuck for what I can do from this point forward to get my phone working again...

Android Debug Bridge version 1.0.31

Any suggestions?
Thanks for your time
Evan

Anova's Origin

Feb 1, 2017
Vancouver
There's so many different builds of SuperSU that it's getting hard to keep track of which one works. I know that flashing an older version does tend to cause endless boot animation. SuperSU 2.79 should work, though you'll likely need to dirty flash OOS again before flashing it.

I've also found ADB to be rather finicky in recovery. My advice is to use an USB OTG adapter and load any files that you need on a flash drive. Afterwards, follow these steps:
1) Boot into fastboot and flash TWRP again using your PC and fastboot commands
2) Download whatever version of OOS you want (stable or open beta) and somehow load it onto your phone, whether through ADB or USB OTG
3) Boot into TWRP and flash the OS that you've downloaded, wipe cache/Dalvik. You can clean flash if you want, though dirty flashing should suffice in this situation.
4) Flash either SuperSU v2.79, or Magisk v12.0. Both Magisk and SuperSU will root your phone, I just prefer Magisk due to its extra capabilities and more straight-forward development.
5) Reboot, the rebooting process shouldn't take more than a few minutes.

Using a flash drive also has other benefits, you can save nandroids directly onto it through TWRP. This both saves space in internal storage and keeps the backups safe in the event that your phone gets inadvertently wiped from any unforeseen incidents.

Additional notes:
-You don't need to flash the no-verity.zip if you flash either SuperSU or Magisk, both of them contains the necessary scripts

Last edited:
Reactions: Evanlw85

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    There's so many different builds of SuperSU that it's getting hard to keep track of which one works. I know that flashing an older version does tend to cause endless boot animation. SuperSU 2.79 should work, though you'll likely need to dirty flash OOS again before flashing it.

I've also found ADB to be rather finicky in recovery. My advice is to use an USB OTG adapter and load any files that you need on a flash drive. Afterwards, follow these steps:
    1) Boot into fastboot and flash TWRP again using your PC and fastboot commands
    2) Download whatever version of OOS you want (stable or open beta) and somehow load it onto your phone, whether through ADB or USB OTG
    3) Boot into TWRP and flash the OS that you've downloaded, wipe cache/Dalvik. You can clean flash if you want, though dirty flashing should suffice in this situation.
    4) Flash either SuperSU v2.79, or Magisk v12.0. Both Magisk and SuperSU will root your phone, I just prefer Magisk due to its extra capabilities and more straight-forward development.
    5) Reboot, the rebooting process shouldn't take more than a few minutes.

Using a flash drive also has other benefits, you can save nandroids directly onto it through TWRP. This both saves space in internal storage and keeps the backups safe in the event that your phone gets inadvertently wiped from any unforeseen incidents.

Additional notes:
    -You don't need to flash the no-verity.zip if you flash either SuperSU or Magisk, both of them contains the necessary scripts