OnePlus 5T: Unlock Bootloader | Flash TWRP | Root | Nandroid & EFS Backup & More !!

Search This thread

Funk Wizard

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2014
New Delhi
OnePlus 12
OnePlus 5T: Unlock Bootloader | Flash TWRP | Root | Nandroid & EFS Backup & More !!

KpX45yr.jpg

Q9IP5VP.png

3RVsG8v.png

Before you start, OTA up to the latest System Update available.
Settings > System Updates > Download & Install the latest available

Thank You all for your support :highfive:
Never Settle :fingers-crossed:

Last edited:

Funk Wizard

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2014
New Delhi
OnePlus 12
IO5E67q.jpg

Introduction​

Rooting this device is actually quite a simple and easy process. Before you begin, it is recommended that you at least try to understand what each part of the process will do. Although this guide will elongate each step in order to show all of the details, the method used can be broken up into 3 main steps: ​

1. Unlocking the Bootloader
2. Installing a Custom Recovery
3. Gaining Root Access

Each new step relies on the previous step so please follow the entire process and a basic summary of each part is described as below:

Unlocking Bootloader​
Opens the door to the internal memory of the device to be written on to. This allows you to flash images onto the main partitions of the phone.​

Installing a Custom Recovery​​
A custom recovery is flashed onto the recovery partition of the device and overwrites the stock recovery that exists by default. Custom recoveries bring lots of functionality and give you the ability to perform wipes, install flashable zips, create full backups of your device (Nandroid backup), and various other features. An unlocked bootloader is needed to install a custom recovery.

Gaining Root Access​​
You can gain root by either flashing via recovery a pre-rooted custom rom, or flashing a zip containing the SuperSU binaries or by Flashing Magisk Zip for a system less root. A custom recovery is necessary to do this.

After completing these steps your phone will be rooted, the phone will have a custom recovery installed and an unlocked bootloader. This, in my opinion, is the a practical and beneficial method for rooting your phone. It will give you some basic adb/fastboot knowledge, and should hopefully help you have a decent understanding of the entire process. This method will work regardless of any android version on the phone.

If you are confused by anything in this guide, I highly suggest getting it clarified being before moving on. Ask your question in this thread and I or someone else will likely answer. Also we would suggest that you read over the whole thread a few times before actually doing anything to the phone.​

Last edited:

Funk Wizard

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2014
New Delhi
OnePlus 12
Setup, Preparation & Prerequisites​​

Basic tasks that may be referred to throughout this guide:​
Open Command Prompt: Press Shift + Right Click anywhere on the screen and select Open Command Window here

Enter Fastboot/Bootloader Mode: Turn the phone off. Hold volume up + power until the "fastboot" screen appears. [Alternatively, if Advanced Reboot is enabled, you can press Reboot > Bootloader from the power menu.]

Enter Recovery Mode: Turn the phone off. Hold volume down + power until the "OnePlus Logo" screen appears. [Alternatively, if Advanced Reboot is enabled, you can press Reboot -> Recovery from the power menu.]

ADB and Fastboot Installation​
1. Download the ADB For Windows here Or Manually update Fastboot and ADB binaries from Here or Here

2. Run the .exe file downloaded from above as Administrator.
3. Press 'Y' every time the installer asks for.
4. Continue Driver Installation.

Now, ADB and Fastboot have been installed on your PC and should be Working as desired.

Things To Remember​
Show File Extensions :good:
Open a command prompt window and run "Control folders" (without the quotes). Go to the View tab and uncheck the "Hide extensions for known file types" option. This will help avoid confusion when renaming files.

Battery :good:
Ensure that your phone has at least 60% battery remaining, and that your PC is plugged in and wont shut down spontaneously during the process. The procedure doesn't take very long , but its best to have enough charge in case something goes wrong.

Backup (Optional) :good:
Unlocking the bootloader will/should completely wipe all data from the device. This includes apps, settings and even the contents of the internal sdcard (pictures, music, etc.). Copy all important files off the phone onto a PC or upload them to a cloud.

USB Debugging :good:
On your phone go to Settings > About phone > Tap on Build number 7 times. This will enable Developer options. Now go back to Settings > Developer options > Enable USB debugging
TgFMt8r.png
Enable OEM Unlocking :good:
On your phone go to Settings > Developer options. Then enable the 'OEM Unlocking' option. Also make sure that from now on, OEM unlocking option is enabled before you reboot as sometimes, it might get disabled itself.
w0FBHUM.png
Enable Advanced Reboot :good:
On your phone go to Settings > Developer options. Then enable the 'Advanced Reboot' option.

x9QoU6C.png

Last edited:

Funk Wizard

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2014
New Delhi
OnePlus 12
Unlocking Bootloader

Turn the phone off. Then boot it into fastboot mode by holding volume up + power or select reboot to bootloader if advanced reboot is activated via developer options. The phone will display "fastboot" text indicating that it has successfully entered fastboot mode.

Plug the phone into your PC, then open a command prompt window on the desktop (Shift + Right Click -> Open Command Window here) and type:

Code:
fastboot devices

This command will list the connected devices. If your phones serial number shows up you are good to go and may continue. If the phone is NOT listed this indicates that your drivers are not installed correctly. In order for you to continue you must fix your drivers so that your phone is listed under fastboot devices.

If the phone has been recognized by the command above, proceed to unlocking the bootloader with the following command:

Remember this Step will WIPE EVERYTHING off the phone so Backup all your Data

Code:
fastboot oem unlock

x6hqaHU.jpg

You would be greeted with a Unlock Bootloader Warning page, Hit the Vol button to select Yes and turn it Blue and Hit the Power Button to Execute the selection

F4nUdpn.jpg

Your device will reboot, show you a Secure boot warning, reboot into stock recovery and wipe all data. Once done, your phone will reboot into the OS.

Please continue and follow the next post to install Custom Recovery

Last edited:

Funk Wizard

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2014
New Delhi
OnePlus 12
Flashing TWRP Recovery

Wait until the phone has fully booted up into android, then adjust the following settings on the phone:

USB Debugging
On your phone go to Settings > About phone > Tap on Build number 7 times. This will enable Developer options. Now go back to Settings > Developer options > Enable USB debugging

Enable OEM Unlocking
On your phone go to Settings > Developer options. Then enable the 'OEM Unlocking' option and make sure that from now on, OEM unlocking option is enabled before you reboot. Sometimes, it might get disabled itself.

Enable Advanced Reboot
On your phone go to Settings > Developer options. Then enable the 'Advanced Reboot' option.

Download all the files, place SuperSU or Magisk on Device Internal Memory and TWRP img on your PC

Then boot it into fastboot/bootloader mode by holding volume up + power or selecting the reboot to bootloader via advanced reboot options.

Open a new command prompt in the same location and run the following commands:

Code:
fastboot flash recovery (file name).img
bS1H7cS.jpg

Once the flash has completed, Don't use the "Fastboot Reboot" Command Instead Unplug Your phone then Manually boot it into recovery by pressing the Vol Button for a couple of times till you see recovery in red at the top and then hit the power button to reboot

n026Oly.jpg

Alternatively you can also use the command:
Code:
fastboot boot recovery.img

PS: DO NOT BOOT IN OS JUST YET & CONTINUE TO THE ROOTING POST

Last edited:

Funk Wizard

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2014
New Delhi
OnePlus 12
Gaining Root Access

This is a continued post from the above post...

1. Boot into TWRP Recovery
2. If you want to stay systemless continue without swiping right else Swipe and enable modifications.
3. Select your preferred Language, Tap “Never show this screen on boot again,” and Swipe allow modification.
4. Navigate to Install and select SuperSU Beta Or Magisk Beta to root OnePlus 5T.
5. Swipe to confirm the flash
6. Reboot System

Keep in mind that the first boot after wiping the phone may take longer than usual, as the phone will need to rebuild the dalvik cache and initialize other first boot and would reboot a few times due to SuperSU Flash.

* MTP, known as Media Transfer Protocol, is the same way you transfer files from your PC to your device when booted into system.

Congrats! Your Device now has an unlocked bootloader, a custom recovery installed and is rooted !!

Warning: Do not flash partial update OTAs (under 1 GB) on a modified device! If you want to use partial OTAs, you must first flash a full OTA that it applies to, and then flash the partial OTA from stock recovery. Flashing partial OTAs from TWRP will either fail or soft brick your device. You can return to a usable state by flashing full zips in recovery.

Enjoy :fingers-crossed:

Last edited:

Funk Wizard

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2014
New Delhi
OnePlus 12
Making a Nandroid Backup

Warning: before you make a backup with TWRP you must remove all Lockscreen Security. If you do not do this you will not be able to unlock your device after restoring your backup (entering your pin/pattern/password will result in an "incorrect pin/pattern/password" message), you'll be forced to perform a factory reset to boot into Android.

To remove lockscreen security go to
Settings > Security > Screen Lock and set it to Swipe/None.

A Nandroid Backup is a very important thing to have before installing any custom software on your device. It's basically a backup of your stock system that you can fall back on if anything goes wrong or if you just want your stock ROM back.

You can also use Nandroid Bckup to create a backup of your favorite ROM set up exactly the way you like it. The backup you create can be easily restored using the restore tool in TWRP recovery.

To Create Nandroid Backup:

1. Boot into TWRP Recovery .
2. Go to Backup Menu and select all the listed partitions.
3. Name the Backup if needed (Optional)
4. Swipe to take Backup.
This proces should take 4 to 8 minutes depending upon the size of data.
5. Reboot System when done.

Your Nandroid will be stored in the Backup Folder inside TWRP Folder /sdcard/TWRP/BACKUPS

Last edited:

Funk Wizard

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2014
New Delhi
OnePlus 12
Restoring a Nandroid Backup

1. Boot into TWRP Recovery
2. Go to Restore Menu and select the backup you want to restore.
3. Select the partitions you want to restore.
4. Swipe to Restore. The process will take 6 to 10 minutes.
5. Reboot system once done

Note: If you happened to forget to remove lockscreen security (PIN/Pattern/Password) before creating your backup, and you cannot get into your OS after restoring, you can do the following to fix the issue.

Boot into TWRP
Use the TWRP File Manager and Navigate to /data/sytem/ and delete the following files:

locksettings.db
locksettings.db-shm
locksettings.db-wal.
gatekeeper.password.key
gatekeeper.pattern.key

You may or may not have all the above files so delete the ones you have.

Reboot the phone and (if you've set a PIN) enter it to decrypt the storage one more time. After that you can simply unlock your phone with a swipe.

Upon Boot > Go into Settings > Security > set your preferred unlock method

Android will ask you if you want to set a boot-time code too so select as per convenience.

Last edited:

Funk Wizard

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2014
New Delhi
OnePlus 12
Making an EFS Backup
All too often, we've seen folks who have a corrupted or missing EFS Partition. This results in your IMEI being lost and no cellular activity on the device at all. This can be a royal PITA to fix, and some folks haven't been able to fix it at all. You can take a precautionary measure to safeguard yourself against this by taking a couple of minutes to back up your modemst files.

Download & Open up Terminal Emulator on your phone from here

Once it's open you'll be greeted with a command line prompt, in which you can enter text commands, the first thing you need to do is enable root access by entering this line (press the enter key on your on-screen keyboard after each command to issue it):

Code:
su
If this is the first time you've used Terminal Emulator a Superuser or SuperSU popup will appear, make sure you grant root access.

Now enter these two commands:

Code:
dd if=/dev/block/sdf1 of=/sdcard/modemst1.bin bs=512

Code:
dd if=/dev/block/sdf2 of=/sdcard/modemst2.bin bs=512

This will place two files (modemst1.bin & modemst2.bin) on your internal storage.

Make sure you copy them to your PC and Cloud immediately so that you have a backup there to use if you need to restore it in future.

That's it !! In case you ever need to restore Nanroid or EFS Backups, please continue and follow the next post...

Last edited:

Funk Wizard

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2014
New Delhi
OnePlus 12
Restoring an EFS Backup​
If by chance you end up with a corrupt EFS partition all you need to do is flash the files back to your device using fastboot.

Boot into fastboot mode (power + volume up) and connect your phone to your PC via usb cable.

Keep modemst1.bin and modemst2.bin (backed up earlier) on your desktop and open command window there.

These fastboot commands will restore the files:

Code:
fastboot flash modemst1 modemst1.bin

Code:
fastboot flash modemst2 modemst2.bin

Reboot your device.

Code:
fastboot reboot

Now disconnect phone from PC. Your IMEI should be back.

That's it for this guide, Enjoy :highfive:

Last edited:

Funk Wizard

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2014
New Delhi
OnePlus 12
Changelog:

Oxygen OS 4.7.2 Update logs:
• Optimizations for fingerprint unlock
• Optimizations for face unlock
• Improved accuracy for screen off gestures
• Improved EIS during 4K video recording
• Wi-Fi WPA2 security patch (Krack vulnerability patch)
• General stability improvements and bug fixes

Download: http://otafsg1.h2os.com/patch/amazo...en_43_OTA_004_all_1711152324_9a7ca8ad1c7d.zip
Mirror: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=817906626617948432

Oxygen OS 4.7.1 Full Zip Stock Rom

Update logs:
• Optimizations for fingerprint unlock
• Optimizations for face unlock
• Improved accuracy of screen off gestures
• Improved EIS during 4K video recording
• Wi-Fi WPA2 security patch (Krack vulnerability patch)
• General stability improvements and bug fixes

Downloads:
Official | Drive

Last edited:

dabug123

Recognized Developer
Sep 25, 2014
brunswick
I need to connect to your pc (with teamviewer), unlock your op5t bootloader and extract the stock recovery. If you have already flashed twrp i cant get stock recovery anymore. When you have op5t and you are ready contact me in pm or on telegram (@mauronofrio)
My 5t ordered time to cook up some kernel love

EasyDeath

Aug 4, 2013
My OP5T will arrive on 24
once i'll get it, i want to install twrp + magisk, doing that can i still receive updates? Or i need to download manually the rom and dirty-flash every new update?

NanouMu

Jun 4, 2017
Hi,
I have made an error deleting the ROM in TWRP, nom i am trying to reinstall the original rom from the above post but i have an error 7 when trying to flash it.
Any idea how to solve that problem ?

Funk Wizard

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2014
New Delhi
OnePlus 12
My OP5T will arrive on 24
once i'll get it, i want to install twrp + magisk, doing that can i still receive updates? Or i need to download manually the rom and dirty-flash every new update?

If you are rooted you would need to download and dirty flash the full zip Everytime there is an update. I will open a separate thread for update for stable and beta as and when out with the files required and easy instructions.

Hi,
I have made an error deleting the ROM in TWRP, nom i am trying to reinstall the original rom from the above post but i have an error 7 when trying to flash it.
Any idea how to solve that problem ?

Try Wipe dalvik and cache and then flash the full zip. Keep in mind that twrp is still unofficial and may have some glitches.

Sent from my OnePlus 5 using XDA Labs

crakerjac

Dec 24, 2011
So you need to remove lock screen security every time you want to do a backup in TWRP? Does it matter if you are encrypted or not?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

KpX45yr.jpg

Q9IP5VP.png

3RVsG8v.png

Before you start, OTA up to the latest System Update available.
    Settings > System Updates > Download & Install the latest available

Thank You all for your support :highfive:
    Never Settle :fingers-crossed:
    IO5E67q.jpg

Introduction​

Rooting this device is actually quite a simple and easy process. Before you begin, it is recommended that you at least try to understand what each part of the process will do. Although this guide will elongate each step in order to show all of the details, the method used can be broken up into 3 main steps: ​

1. Unlocking the Bootloader
    2. Installing a Custom Recovery
    3. Gaining Root Access

Each new step relies on the previous step so please follow the entire process and a basic summary of each part is described as below:

Unlocking Bootloader​
    Opens the door to the internal memory of the device to be written on to. This allows you to flash images onto the main partitions of the phone.​

Installing a Custom Recovery​​
    A custom recovery is flashed onto the recovery partition of the device and overwrites the stock recovery that exists by default. Custom recoveries bring lots of functionality and give you the ability to perform wipes, install flashable zips, create full backups of your device (Nandroid backup), and various other features. An unlocked bootloader is needed to install a custom recovery.

Gaining Root Access​​
    You can gain root by either flashing via recovery a pre-rooted custom rom, or flashing a zip containing the SuperSU binaries or by Flashing Magisk Zip for a system less root. A custom recovery is necessary to do this.

After completing these steps your phone will be rooted, the phone will have a custom recovery installed and an unlocked bootloader. This, in my opinion, is the a practical and beneficial method for rooting your phone. It will give you some basic adb/fastboot knowledge, and should hopefully help you have a decent understanding of the entire process. This method will work regardless of any android version on the phone.

If you are confused by anything in this guide, I highly suggest getting it clarified being before moving on. Ask your question in this thread and I or someone else will likely answer. Also we would suggest that you read over the whole thread a few times before actually doing anything to the phone.​
    Unlocking Bootloader

Turn the phone off. Then boot it into fastboot mode by holding volume up + power or select reboot to bootloader if advanced reboot is activated via developer options. The phone will display "fastboot" text indicating that it has successfully entered fastboot mode.

Plug the phone into your PC, then open a command prompt window on the desktop (Shift + Right Click -> Open Command Window here) and type:

Code:
    fastboot devices

This command will list the connected devices. If your phones serial number shows up you are good to go and may continue. If the phone is NOT listed this indicates that your drivers are not installed correctly. In order for you to continue you must fix your drivers so that your phone is listed under fastboot devices.

If the phone has been recognized by the command above, proceed to unlocking the bootloader with the following command:

Remember this Step will WIPE EVERYTHING off the phone so Backup all your Data

Code:
    fastboot oem unlock

x6hqaHU.jpg

You would be greeted with a Unlock Bootloader Warning page, Hit the Vol button to select Yes and turn it Blue and Hit the Power Button to Execute the selection

F4nUdpn.jpg

Your device will reboot, show you a Secure boot warning, reboot into stock recovery and wipe all data. Once done, your phone will reboot into the OS.

Please continue and follow the next post to install Custom Recovery
    Setup, Preparation & Prerequisites​​

Basic tasks that may be referred to throughout this guide:​
    Open Command Prompt: Press Shift + Right Click anywhere on the screen and select Open Command Window here

Enter Fastboot/Bootloader Mode: Turn the phone off. Hold volume up + power until the "fastboot" screen appears. [Alternatively, if Advanced Reboot is enabled, you can press Reboot > Bootloader from the power menu.]

Enter Recovery Mode: Turn the phone off. Hold volume down + power until the "OnePlus Logo" screen appears. [Alternatively, if Advanced Reboot is enabled, you can press Reboot -> Recovery from the power menu.]

ADB and Fastboot Installation​
    1. Download the ADB For Windows here Or Manually update Fastboot and ADB binaries from Here or Here

2. Run the .exe file downloaded from above as Administrator.
    3. Press 'Y' every time the installer asks for.
    4. Continue Driver Installation.

Now, ADB and Fastboot have been installed on your PC and should be Working as desired.

Things To Remember​
    Show File Extensions :good:
    Open a command prompt window and run "Control folders" (without the quotes). Go to the View tab and uncheck the "Hide extensions for known file types" option. This will help avoid confusion when renaming files.

Battery :good:
    Ensure that your phone has at least 60% battery remaining, and that your PC is plugged in and wont shut down spontaneously during the process. The procedure doesn't take very long , but its best to have enough charge in case something goes wrong.

Backup (Optional) :good:
    Unlocking the bootloader will/should completely wipe all data from the device. This includes apps, settings and even the contents of the internal sdcard (pictures, music, etc.). Copy all important files off the phone onto a PC or upload them to a cloud.

USB Debugging :good:
    TgFMt8r.png
    Enable OEM Unlocking :good:
    On your phone go to Settings > Developer options. Then enable the 'OEM Unlocking' option. Also make sure that from now on, OEM unlocking option is enabled before you reboot as sometimes, it might get disabled itself.
    w0FBHUM.png
    Enable Advanced Reboot :good:

x9QoU6C.png
    Flashing TWRP Recovery

Wait until the phone has fully booted up into android, then adjust the following settings on the phone:

USB Debugging

Enable OEM Unlocking
    On your phone go to Settings > Developer options. Then enable the 'OEM Unlocking' option and make sure that from now on, OEM unlocking option is enabled before you reboot. Sometimes, it might get disabled itself.

Enable Advanced Reboot

Download all the files, place SuperSU or Magisk on Device Internal Memory and TWRP img on your PC

Then boot it into fastboot/bootloader mode by holding volume up + power or selecting the reboot to bootloader via advanced reboot options.

Open a new command prompt in the same location and run the following commands:

Code:
    fastboot flash recovery (file name).img
    bS1H7cS.jpg

Once the flash has completed, Don't use the "Fastboot Reboot" Command Instead Unplug Your phone then Manually boot it into recovery by pressing the Vol Button for a couple of times till you see recovery in red at the top and then hit the power button to reboot

n026Oly.jpg

Alternatively you can also use the command:
    Code:
    fastboot boot recovery.img

PS: DO NOT BOOT IN OS JUST YET & CONTINUE TO THE ROOTING POST