• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

oneplus 6 LineageOS 17 -> 18 . Failed TWRP Restore (255)

Search This thread

karenmcd

Jul 2, 2021
Greetings,

I had lineageos 17 on my one+6 and after making a twrp backup and making sure i had all my files that i wanted i took the plunge and upgraded to lineage 18.

This would have been great except that I didnt actually have all the files I wanted. I critically forgot to make a manual separate backup of signal messenger. I need to get the history of signal messenger back. The only way i can think to do this, is to restore the twrp backup i made before upgrading and then making a backup with signal messenger app and then restoring the signal backup in lineage 18.

I attempted to restore my TWRP backup. When I made the TWRP backup I had checked ALL the boxes and saw no errors on the screen. When i attempted to restore i checked all the boxes on the screen and got what appears to be a fairly common error (255) when attempting to restore data (not sd/usb).

After, when i went to reboot twrp notified me that there was no OS installed. I rebooted anyway. I ended up stuck in a bootloader loop. I then downloaded

10.3.6-OnePlus6Oxygen_22.J.48_OTA_048_all_2010042239_c0c1fee2ee-FASTBOOT.zip

Then i unzipped that file and typed in the linux terminal:

fastboot -w update images.zip

I now have a working phone again.

I would like to know how do i restore the TWRP recovery image that I made at the beginning of the whole process. I'm pretty sure if I can do that I can then make a new Signal backup and be fine.

While doing lots of trouble shooting for the last 36 hours or so, it seems relevant to mention that my phone used to require I enter a PIN in order to use it, and I had to enter that same PIN in TWRP before I made the backup. The temporary OxygenOS I installed to just have a working phone number for work does not have a pin.

Last edited:

adeklipse

Apr 1, 2011
I have never had any success restoring TWRP backups so I eventually gave up relying on them after the 4th failed attempt.

But I distinctly remember reading this piece of advice:
0. Copy the TWRP backups onto a separate storage (I assume you have already done that)
1. Install the original ROM that is present in the backup; don't restore the System partition
2. Once installation has completed, restore only the Data partition and ignore all the rest such as cache, system, boot, etc.
3. Reboot

Personally, I have never tried it. But just from reading it, it seems like it may just work. Or it might not.

Reactions: karenmcd

karenmcd

Jul 2, 2021
I have never had any success restoring TWRP backups so I eventually gave up relying on them after the 4th failed attempt.

0. Copy the TWRP backups onto a separate storage (I assume you have already done that)
1. Install the original ROM that is present in the backup; don't restore the System partition
2. Once installation has completed, restore only the Data partition and ignore all the rest such as cache, system, boot, etc.
3. Reboot

Personally, I have never tried it. But just from reading it, it seems like it may just work. Or it might not.
I appreciate the reply.

It's the data partition that's throwing this 255 error, which it seems to have something to do with it being encrypted i'd guess? In the future, is it possible to just dd the whole thing somehow?

tiga016

May 20, 2015
Greetings,

I had lineageos 17 on my one+6 and after making a twrp backup and making sure i had all my files that i wanted i took the plunge and upgraded to lineage 18.

This would have been great except that I didnt actually have all the files I wanted. I critically forgot to make a manual separate backup of signal messenger. I need to get the history of signal messenger back. The only way i can think to do this, is to restore the twrp backup i made before upgrading and then making a backup with signal messenger app and then restoring the signal backup in lineage 18.

I attempted to restore my TWRP backup. When I made the TWRP backup I had checked ALL the boxes and saw no errors on the screen. When i attempted to restore i checked all the boxes on the screen and got what appears to be a fairly common error (255) when attempting to restore data (not sd/usb).

After, when i went to reboot twrp notified me that there was no OS installed. I rebooted anyway. I ended up stuck in a bootloader loop. I then downloaded

Then i unzipped that file and typed in the linux terminal:

I now have a working phone again.

I would like to know how do i restore the TWRP recovery image that I made at the beginning of the whole process. I'm pretty sure if I can do that I can then make a new Signal backup and be fine.

While doing lots of trouble shooting for the last 36 hours or so, it seems relevant to mention that my phone used to require I enter a PIN in order to use it, and I had to enter that same PIN in TWRP before I made the backup. The temporary OxygenOS I installed to just have a working phone number for work does not have a pin.
For what I know you need your device to be decrypted to restore from custom recovery.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

3. Reboot