OnePlus 6T Android Q beta thoughts

Search This thread

unomas

Jan 11, 2019
They could make a PRE-Alpha build, say DO NOT INSTALL THIS, and zillions of lDIOTS would download it because they want the latest update, no matter what, THEN, will get on here, OP's website and other places to complain about it.
It's like these clowns hanging out windows, rail cars and what not to get a selfie so they can get "likes"....lDIOTS
Yes, but OnePlus didn't even use the latest, they used an older GSI, essential did a great job, it's just annoying for the amount of thought/effort went into this. Couldn't have been that hard...

UberFiend

Mar 11, 2011
Good god flashaholics are self-entitled. OP put as much effort into making a Dev build as they should have, and the only thing they did wrong was let you people flash it. Your credentials mean nothing; it's not a beta, it's not an alpha, it's A DEVELOPMENT BUILD. It's not for your curious hands to play with, it's meant to be worked on.

Go complain in the gcam and AOD threads.

unomas

Jan 11, 2019
Good god flashaholics are self-entitled. OP put as much effort into making a Dev build as they should have, and the only thing they did wrong was let you people flash it. Your credentials mean nothing; it's not a beta, it's not an alpha, it's A DEVELOPMENT BUILD. It's not for your curious hands to play with, it's meant to be worked on.

Go complain in the gcam and AOD threads.
What?
https://www.oneplus.com/developer-preview/androidq
Well a big part of OnePlus was the "flashaholics"

Last edited:

Scott

Retired Recognized Developer
I just rebooted the phone. It says to enter in a PIN and none of the PINS that I normally use work. What are my options now that I can't get past the PIN setup to start Android?

NOt looking good. This is a documented bug in the official thread. The only fix I could see is a hard reset. And even that is 50/50. Worse case scenario you can always return to stock using MSM tool.

WARNING:
One user @ITS.Leandroo has reported setting a pattern will result in a unbootable device as it asks for pin which has not been set.
It seems to be caused by the option for a pin to boot, as encryption is not working.

As mentioned by @prakarshX
IMPORTANT

To everyone flashing this build, PLEASE DO NOT SET A PATTERN. Use a PIN instead. My phone is unbootable right now, as it asks for a PIN which has not been set.
also, everyone trying to set a pin DO NOT say yes to the first option where it will ask for a pin upon Android bootup as this will result in non ability to boot your phone as encryption isn't working right now.

Source: https://forums.oneplus.com/threads/...eview-for-oneplus-6-6t.1020398/#post-20232016

Last edited:
Reactions: Xpiatio

babyboy8100

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
www.youtube.com
I just rebooted the phone. It says to enter in a PIN and none of the PINS that I normally use work. What are my options now that I can't get past the PIN setup to start Android?

IF you can get in to TWRP just format, then reboot. It'll encrypt on start just dont select secure start up to avoid that.
honestly your not missing much this is barebones compared to what the Pixel or Essential phones have but if you want to check it out go right ahead. :good:
Q Beta Video https://youtu.be/x46Zspqb2DM

Last edited:
Reactions: Xpiatio and wbedard

Nic2112

Mar 4, 2010
Ottawa
Android Q beta 4 was just released for pixel device's... Hopefully this time OnePlus will get it right

So, in your world, in order to "get it right", a *BETA* software has to be free of bugs? I think it's already great to see Q available on so many devices and I believe Oneplus did it right by having it available. It's not reasonable to think OnePlus will spend time debugging bugs on a beta version on Android; that's why they pay google developers a lot of money to do.

drakonizer

Retired Forum Moderator
May 10, 2013
Death Star
OnePlus 9 Pro
So, in your world, in order to "get it right", a *BETA* software has to be free of bugs? I think it's already great to see Q available on so many devices and I believe Oneplus did it right by having it available. It's not reasonable to think OnePlus will spend time debugging bugs on a beta version on Android; that's why they pay google developers a lot of money to do.

You don't know the objective of these dev previews. More than to let "flashaholics" test out the latest and greatest in Android, they're meant to help app developers get their apps ready for the new API level before it's made public. Previously, only Google devices received the beta updates, which meant other devices would have a period of buggy apps in the latest software before app developers would get a chance to test and update their apps on other devices. With Google opening up the beta program to other OEMs and OnePlus hopping on that bandwagon, the objective is to make the update to the new version as smooth as possible for the end user. For this, the beta needs to have, at the very least, all the hardware working without issues, even if there are occasional software bugs and crashes. If OnePlus doesn't get that right, it will be their userbase affected by buggy apps that seem to work on other devices, and their brand name that suffers. So yes, it IS reasonable to expect OnePlus to get their sh*t together.

OEMs pay Google to use their suite of apps, they do not pay Google to develop Android for them. Android is developed by the Open Handset Alliance, of which Google is just a part (albeit the biggest part).

unomas

Jan 11, 2019
Am not asking for a bug free experience, look at a company like essential, they did a great job of delivering the Q, definitely wasn't bug-free but stuff like auto brightness worked, it just shows the amount of attention OnePlus is giving...

unomas

Jan 11, 2019
You don't know the objective of these dev previews. More than to let "flashaholics" test out the latest and greatest in Android, they're meant to help app developers get their apps ready for the new API level before it's made public. Previously, only Google devices received the beta updates, which meant other devices would have a period of buggy apps in the latest software before app developers would get a chance to test and update their apps on other devices. With Google opening up the beta program to other OEMs and OnePlus hopping on that bandwagon, the objective is to make the update to the new version as smooth as possible for the end user. For this, the beta needs to have, at the very least, all the hardware working without issues, even if there are occasional software bugs and crashes. If OnePlus doesn't get that right, it will be their userbase affected by buggy apps that seem to work on other devices, and their brand name that suffers. So yes, it IS reasonable to expect OnePlus to get their sh*t together.

OEMs pay Google to use their suite of apps, they do not pay Google to develop Android for them. Android is developed by the Open Handset Alliance, of which Google is just a part (albeit the biggest part).
Totally agree, while technically they can pass with this, it's just lousy one they're part.
Basic functionality won't work, really hope OnePlus can do something about beta 4, especially since last year they did a pretty decent job...

p51d007

Oct 15, 2007
Springfield, Mo
I won't install it, until it shows up as available from a stock phone...and then, I'll wait a few days before updating, just in case.
My phone use is pretty much a M-F, 9-5 thing. On weekends and after work, I rarely touch it.

unomas

Jan 11, 2019
Tommorow when I have time I will definitely try out DP2, from what I see online the fixed most stuff (auto brightness etc.)
Nav gestures work but are VERY buggy, will see tommorow

Nic2112

Mar 4, 2010
Ottawa
Quite buggy so far. Launcher loop crashes and display lag (animations are sluggish)

That's after a factory reset.

Dark theme doesn't work, the quick setting icon that are disabled are not displayed at all.

Last edited:

unomas

Jan 11, 2019
Quite buggy so far. Launcher loop crashes and display lag (animations are sluggish)

That's after a factory reset.

Dark theme doesn't work, the quick setting icon that are disabled are not displayed at all.
What "OnePlus features" are they're? Did they add gaming mode etc.?
Also does root work now?

Nic2112

Mar 4, 2010
Ottawa
So within about 5 minutes of completing the phone setup, the launcher starts to crash every second. Even when using Nova launcher. Then within a minute the phone becomes just about non responsive.

I was able to go back to stable using the MSM tool so nothing was bricked but my experience is that on my 6T this build is unusable.

I don't have a SIM card in that phone though, not sure if that's causing the crashes

Reactions: kacarot and 666syco

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This isn't meant as a daily driver [emoji19] it's not a beta build, it's a Dev build. Buggy as hell, no features, just a first try.

The only bad thing OnePlus did is releasing it to all because most users are to stupid to understand.
    The only bad thing OnePlus did is releasing it to all because most users are to stupid to understand.

This needs to be in bold with a size font of like 50.

For those of you in here complaining, that are too damn lazy to read, put some effort into reading this. Quoted from the release thread:

As the name suggests, this build of Android Q is best suited for developers and early adopters. As it is still in an early stage of development. That said, we do not recommend flashing this ROM if you have little to no experience in software development or flashing custom ROMs. Proceed at your own RISK!
    Hey guys! Just flashed the Android Q beta and have some thoughts:

First of all for some reason OnePlus removed navigation gestures, there isn't even the original OnePlus gestures. Common, that should have been easy to add.

Since OnePlus made the fingerprint work I assumed dash charging would work too, but this isn't the case.

I've seen people complain about not being heard on calls, but that works for me, the real problem is I can't send a text message, no matter what SMS app I use.

When fully powering off the phone it takes an absurd amount of time to shut down, it says "shutting down.." for a good 20 seconds.

Besides these issues everything works fine, I flashed TWRP and Magisk and will be trying this out, I hope they release some updates because as of now this isn't really usable as a daily driver.
    No matter how buggy or broken they are, they are meant for developers to adapt software and hardware on them before final builds are out to the general public. Not for randoms to treat them as finals, as few here and a lot on the OP forums have done.
    They could make a PRE-Alpha build, say DO NOT INSTALL THIS, and zillions of lDIOTS would download it because they want the latest update, no matter what, THEN, will get on here, OP's website and other places to complain about it.
    It's like these clowns hanging out windows, rail cars and what not to get a selfie so they can get "likes"....lDIOTS
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone