OnePlus 7 USB-C Dock Advice

Search This thread

SimoxTav

Nov 27, 2012
Torino
tavera.it
I just received the phone and tried to use it with this dock with no results (the power led lights on and android P notifications shows the connection with a USB device, however it is not properly recognized).
I tried with an USB key, a mSD and with a HDMI cable attached. Any advice on alternative solutions? (both HW and SW).

Last edited:

Hentai_expert

Dec 15, 2018
I wish I could relate or let alone try to understand what you just said. I would have been fine with typos , but clearly your sentence structure is off even without proper punctuation. Regardless, thank you for the information sir.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

SimoxTav

Nov 27, 2012
Torino
tavera.it
I wish I could relate or let alone try to understand what you just said. I would have been fine with typos , but clearly your sentence structure is off even without proper punctuation. Regardless, thank you for the information sir.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the tip Sir. I rewrote the sentences in a clearer way to make them easily understandable.

graycatgrayhat

Dec 12, 2014
OnePlus 7 Pro
Google Pixel 8 Pro
I was using a third party DASH cable originally for my OP3, with my OP7P and noticed it does the same thing as your dock. Side note the OP7P could not be recognized in fastboot with said third party DASH cable.

But the OEM cable works without fail ever time could be pin/or chip? configuration but I don't know enough about Warp/DASH/VOOC to say.

SimoxTav

Nov 27, 2012
Torino
tavera.it
I was using a third party DASH cable originally for my OP3, with my OP7P and noticed it does the same thing as your dock. Side note the OP7P could not be recognized in fastboot with said third party DASH cable.

But the OEM cable works without fail ever time could be pin/or chip? configuration but I don't know enough about Warp/DASH/VOOC to say.

I made some further tests and these are the results:
- With the dock powered with a PD cable (so charging the phone as well) the video signal works as expected but no other devices are recognized (I tried a USB key, a keyboard and the usual microSD but none are visible)
- Using a simple USB-C to HDMI cable the video out works like a charm

I think the USB issue might be related to the drivers needed to identify the device (a similar situation happened to me on the Nexus 7 several years ago and I fixed it changing the kernel). For now I think I will have to find a different dock. The best one for my needs should have 2 USB, mSD slot, HDMI and Ethernet. Any tips?

SimoxTav

Nov 27, 2012
Torino
tavera.it
I made some further tests and these are the results:
- With the dock powered with a PD cable (so charging the phone as well) the video signal works as expected but no other devices are recognized (I tried a USB key, a keyboard and the usual microSD but none are visible)
- Using a simple USB-C to HDMI cable the video out works like a charm

I think the USB issue might be related to the drivers needed to identify the device (a similar situation happened to me on the Nexus 7 several years ago and I fixed it changing the kernel). For now I think I will have to find a different dock. The best one for my needs should have 2 USB, mSD slot, HDMI and Ethernet. Any tips?

One further update:
I used the same dock on the Mi A1 with Android P and it is properly recognized with both the mSD and the USB key attached. Obviously there is no HDMI out since the port is only a USB 2.0 one rather than a 3.1 like the OP7P.
At this point I think it might be related to drivers only, because the notification for an attached USB is there but it is not simply recognized (to be honest if i use the PD-USB while having the mSD inserted, the phone is charged but no popup for attached USB device is shown in that case).

Last edited:

quentin0

Jul 1, 2011
One further update:
I used the same dock on the Mi A1 with Android P and it is properly recognized with both the mSD and the USB key attached. Obviously there is no HDMI out since the port is only a USB 2.0 one rather than a 3.1 like the OP7P.
At this point I think it might be related to drivers only, because the notification for an attached USB is there but it is not simply recognized (to be honest if i use the PD-USB while having the mSD inserted, the phone is charged but no popup for attached USB device is shown in that case).

Yeah I'm having the same issue, tried an HP dock and a Dell dock. Neither one supported USB. I don't understand why this is, never had this issue on older model Android phones. Must be the drivers.

FYI - The HP one displayed the picture on the monitor via HDMI, but wouldn't charge the phone. Dell one would charge, but wouldn't support the monitor. I have another model Dell dock that I'm going to try next week that I think will work better.

SimoxTav

Nov 27, 2012
Torino
tavera.it
Another quick update.
All the test were performed with OTG on and with USB debug enabled and disabled to see if there are any differences in results(no differences for now)

Atzbee Dock
- HDMI Out working even without an external power source
- No USB drive/key detected
- Phone charging works

EC Technology Dock
- Phone charging works

Reactions: cerj and galaxys

SimoxTav

Nov 27, 2012
Torino
tavera.it
I made some further tests with several devices.

original OP OTG
Works with every device so far (not tested with Ethernet)

Vava 8 in 1 old & Vava 8 in 1 new

HDMI, USB flash, sd card and transflash work at the same time (even without an external power source).
I am finding problems in the connection of a keyboard or mouse that are never recognized (except for the original OTG cable)
Ethernet is never recognized.

ebolam

Nov 13, 2007
To make sure before I buy one, the vava 8 in 1 hub works with usb flash drive while charging the phone?

quentin0

Jul 1, 2011
I just want to report that this issue has been resolved with Android 10. The HP dock I was using now supports the keyboard and mouse. Display and charging also still works.

ninjaquick

Mar 20, 2009
Well that's a huge bummer, I regret buying the tmo variant. I reported this and chatted with one of the people there about pd+otg issues. I am able to get usb hubs to work if plugged into a c-typeA(f) adapter. That of course means no PD or HDMI, so it's awesome that Android 10 includes that fix!

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Another quick update.
    All the test were performed with OTG on and with USB debug enabled and disabled to see if there are any differences in results(no differences for now)

Atzbee Dock
    - Phone charging works

EC Technology Dock
    - Phone charging works
    Is there an app or something that can allow us to automatically switch to a desktop mode, sort of like DEX? Screen mirroring works in a pinch, but it'd be better if it could:
    -rescale to match external display's aspect ratio and resolution
    -adjust DPI to take advantage of the added real estate
    -put the phone's display to sleep
    -lock in landscape

Navigate to Setting->System-> Developer Option scroll until you find Force Desktop Mode. Turn on the switch which will enable something like Dex.
    Use second screen from play store to change DPI Resolution and force Landscape. You can't put the phone display to sleep although set a black wallpaper, create a empty home screen, dim the brightness will save the battery consumption. I will suggest to use Linux Deploy and VNC Viewer to experience real linux experience which will be Cool AF and get the real work done.