OnePlus 7T Global ROM - Voice over Wifi (vowifi)

hypercoyote

Aug 4, 2010
I've been looking all over the Internet about enabling Voice over WiFi on the 7T with the Global ROM. I've found several sites talking about the 7T Pro or 7 Pro, and I've tried those techniques and was able to get the voice over WiFi setting to show up, but when I toggle it on, it is turned off again the next time I enter the Sim menu. I've verified with Verizon that Voice over WiFi is turned on for my phone, my phone is registered in their DMD, so everything should be good on their end. It just seems to be an issue with my ROM not allowing me to use it. I apologize if this has been answered but I couldn't find one for the 7T that matched my situation.

Alternately, this was originally a T-Mobile phone that I converted to the Global ROM. How would I go about converting this phone to the regular US ROM (from here, for example) to see if that would fix my issue? I don't really *need* the Global ROM, I just installed it because that's what the conversion guides to get off the T-Mobile ROM prescribed.

thetoady

Mar 7, 2008
I wouldn't expect the us rom to work for your issue if the global one does not. I'd also note that I find vowifi with it to be finicky without any display on why it might be failing. I have 2 sims in mine, and its well known now that one can't get vowifi working without the primary data sim being the sim you want to do vowifi. but even when I do that (and even set primary calling sim to the tmobile one), it more often than not, doesn't connect via wifi (i.e. pop up the icon). It has worked (i.e. I have been able to get the icon and place calls while in airplane mode to the US while overseas), but it hasn't proven to be reliable. Then again, it wasn't reliable either with just a t-mobile sim and the t-mobile rom. I just wish there were some logs that would say what was failing.

hypercoyote

Aug 4, 2010
I wouldn't expect the us rom to work for your issue if the global one does not. I'd also note that I find vowifi with it to be finicky without any display on why it might be failing. I have 2 sims in mine, and its well known now that one can't get vowifi working without the primary data sim being the sim you want to do vowifi. but even when I do that (and even set primary calling sim to the tmobile one), it more often than not, doesn't connect via wifi (i.e. pop up the icon). It has worked (i.e. I have been able to get the icon and place calls while in airplane mode to the US while overseas), but it hasn't proven to be reliable. Then again, it wasn't reliable either with just a t-mobile sim and the t-mobile rom. I just wish there were some logs that would say what was failing.
What process did you follow to get yours working?

thetoady

Mar 7, 2008
I don't have verizon, as I noted. as I said, I would play around, set primary data and calling sims to the # I wanted for vowifi. Put it in airplane mode, turn on wifi. sometimes that would force the vowifi to come on / sometimes not. take it out of airplane mode. sometimes that did it hen the previous step did not, sometimes not. rinse and repeat.

I mostly gave up on it for now. The only US number I give out is my google voice # anyways, so it doesn't make a huge difference.

hypercoyote

Aug 4, 2010
I don't have verizon, as I noted. as I said, I would play around, set primary data and calling sims to the # I wanted for vowifi. Put it in airplane mode, turn on wifi. sometimes that would force the vowifi to come on / sometimes not. take it out of airplane mode. sometimes that did it hen the previous step did not, sometimes not. rinse and repeat.

I mostly gave up on it for now. The only US number I give out is my google voice # anyways, so it doesn't make a huge difference.
I only have one sim, so I don't think the issue is with it not knowing which is the primary. I tried the airplane mode trick but it just said I had no connection to dial. The issue with me is until I did the little hack shown here: (https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/guide-enable-volte-vowifi-on-all-devices-no-root.4105817/), I never even had the VoWiFi option, but even when I got it, it wouldn't stay enabled. I was thinking the US ROM would help because I am in the US and my carriers are all in the US. I felt like the Global ROM maybe wasn't compatible with Verizon or something.

Bonus question: Is there an easy way to search within a single thread on this forum? I can only find how to search all the forums and it makes it difficult to zero in on information.

wfred

Mar 15, 2014
Upstate, NY
Verizon DOES NOT support VoWiFi on the 7T. So far as I know they do not allow vowifi over their network on any non-verizon branded phone.

VoWiFi turns on, fails to get the proper authorization from Verizon to use their network, turns back off.

Even with the 1+ 8, the VZW model is the only one with vowifi on their network. I was told that it was due to “security concerns” since non-vzw phones didn't go through VZW testing.

Bonus answer: this is for website, not app.
Magnifying glass at top --> gear icon --> you so get a drop down with search options
Screenshot_20210124-095241.jpg

hypercoyote

Aug 4, 2010
Verizon DOES NOT support VoWiFi on the 7T. So far as I know they do not allow vowifi over their network on any non-verizon branded phone.

VoWiFi turns on, fails to get the proper authorization from Verizon to use their network, turns back off.

Even with the 1+ 8, the VZW model is the only one with vowifi on their network. I was told that it was due to “security concerns” since non-vzw phones didn't go through VZW testing.

Bonus answer: this is for website, not app.
Magnifying glass at top --> gear icon --> you so get a drop down with search optionsView attachment 5197691
Thank you for the Search help, of course it requires clicking the button 😅 I'm so used to typing and hitting enter I don't even click those anymore.

On the Verizon VoWiFi, I wonder if results may vary on that, because they had told me it was enabled for my IMEI. Of course, that is largely dependent on the rep you get, I'm sure. But at minimum, I'd at least like to have the option to try it. Plus when I travel abroad, I would like to be able to turn it on for other carriers there as well. I did find another route that involves using PDC to manually enable it, but I'm going to have to root the phone for that. I'm not using the phone yet, so now is the time to play with it 😅 I appreciate your answer though, it may be for nothing, but I've got the mind of an engineer, you can't tell us no 😂

GreenApp

Mar 3, 2020
I was unable to get either VOWIFI or SMS to work when I bought my unlocked 1907 7t (with global rom from factory) to work on Verizon. (Despite all the guides to do as such)

I both messaged them on their platform and called several times. Every time was same shtick. Them: "Phone doesn't support all features" Me: "Yes it does, has all bands, please add IMEI to database and turn on cdma-less provisioning" Them "Ok, hold please..." 5 min later... "Ok it should enable within 24 hours...when should we call you?" Me: "Same time tomorrow is fine" Them: "Ok, then"...24 hours later... no call, I call, repeat, no change.

They honestly just lie/yes man you to appease you until you give up/satisfied with their programmed responses. They have no intention of going out of their way in any technical capacity (Esp. if you're prepaid) and being forthcoming with their policy to only activate "Verizon Phones" on their network will never deliver a technical reason (this band/that band, etc...) This was not the first time I've had to attempt technical workarounds (on another global unlocked LG phone) , which also failed (on their end). They are an incredibly dishonest company imho.

So I got a T-mobile sim and it works great! (vowifi perfect!) I keep the old Verizon one in the second sim slot, just in case I want to punish myself at some point in the future ;0

Reactions: wfred

hypercoyote

Aug 4, 2010
See, my SMS works fine. That's why I say it seems to depend on the rep you get. I'm just really curious if I could get around the carrier block OnePlus has apparently put in place for VoWiFi (per their customer service), if I could get it working still.

wfred

Mar 15, 2014
Upstate, NY
See, my SMS works fine. That's why I say it seems to depend on the rep you get. I'm just really curious if I could get around the carrier block OnePlus has apparently put in place for VoWiFi (per their customer service), if I could get it working still.
There is some sort of certification or something baked into VZW phones that their network looks for when you try to connect via VoWiFi. If that is missing VZW's network will not let you connect even if customer service ”activated” it.
It's not a carrier block 1+ put in place, it's a “not VZW certified” block that Verizon put in place.

hypercoyote

Aug 4, 2010
There is some sort of certification or something baked into VZW phones that their network looks for when you try to connect via VoWiFi. If that is missing VZW's network will not let you connect even if customer service ”activated” it.
It's not a carrier block 1+ put in place, it's a “not VZW certified” block that Verizon put in place.
Oh, I see. Idk what OnePlus was talking about then, because they literally said they block VoWiFi if it's not T-Mobile.