OnePlus 7t pro Mclaren 5G battery drain

Search This thread

Crisisx1

May 8, 2011
Orlando, FL
It's really surprising to me that it's so bad for some users that they're starting to return them.

These were my results from my 3rd full charge. Only had phone couple days. It seems to be pretty consistent on my end with 6 hrs sot.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191223-215626.jpg
    Screenshot_20191223-215626.jpg
    178.5 KB · Views: 344
  • Screenshot_20191223-215631.jpg
    Screenshot_20191223-215631.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 340

MambaBean24

Dec 20, 2019
It's really surprising to me that it's so bad for some users that they're starting to return them.

These were my results from my 3rd full charge. Only had phone couple days. It seems to be pretty consistent on my end with 6 hrs sot.

Wtf!

---------- Post added at 05:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:21 PM ----------

I notice you're only getting LTE. Is that because you disabled 5G or just because you weren't in range?

MambaBean24

Dec 20, 2019
New McLaren

Okay, so new phone in hand. Gonna spend the day with it on default settings all around and see what happens, only this time I did NOT enable smart unlock... Figured maybe that can contribute?

Bordo_Bereli51

Dec 27, 2012
Vienna
I would recommend you guys to check about your cpu usage if you use custom kernels, mostly prime cluster. In the newest update, the prime core or cluster 3 is 100% used on max. freq all the time due to the oneplus service using it. affected in 10.0.7 and 10.0.5 firmwares using custom kernels (heard somewhere that maybe affected using root and stock kernel too). you have to root and use magisk to flash the module I attached. After that you should get better screen on time, I was getting 3-4hrs sot but after that module I get 7-8hours sot.

Credit Mohammed779 for posting this zip on xda.

Attachments

• stop_oneplus_brain_service.zip
    6.5 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:

LT1UltraZ

Feb 23, 2006
I would recommend you guys to check about your cpu usage if you use custom kernels, mostly prime cluster. In the newest update, the prime core or cluster 3 is 100% used on max. freq all the time due to the oneplus service using it. affected in 10.0.7 and 10.0.5 firmwares using custom kernels (heard somewhere that maybe affected using root and stock kernel too). you have to root and use magisk to flash the module I attached. After that you should get better screen on time, I was getting 3-4hrs sot but after that module I get 7-8hours sot.

We are all using stock phones.

TEKHD

Inactive Recognized Developer / XDA Portal Scout
Battery Drain Solution: (Aggressive Doze via Naptime with Tasker making sure rules are applied/imposed & keep monitoring apps via GSam Battery Monitor Pro for app adjustments later on / individual app battery settings)

Playstore:

- Naptime -> $0.99 minimum (seems to be a very honest Developer by the way)
- Tasker -> $3.49 (Optional)
- GSam -> $2.49 (Optional) (or you can use stock Battery Monitor)

I will ONLY include Naptime Settings since I don't expect many people will actually invest $6.97 on these 3 apps. (legitimate way)

I guarantee you will get amazing battery life with all 3 apps combined, but with Naptime only, you will see a HUGE difference in battery consumption when leaving it overnight or screen off. Yes, HUGE difference, otherwise I wouldn't be wasting my time with this post.

After installing Apps...

ADB Commands:

Naptime

Code:
adb -d shell pm grant com.franco.doze android.permission.DUMP
adb -d shell pm grant com.franco.doze android.permission.WRITE_SECURE_SETTINGS

... if using GSam

Code:
adb -d shell pm grant com.gsamlabs.bbm.pro android.permission.BATTERY_STATS

Follow screenshots... *Make sure ALL 3 Apps are set to "Don't Optimize" (If using Naptime only, then make sure Naptime is set to "Don't Optimize") Also... if using a Galaxy Watch or any other Bluetooth device, simply don't use the "Disable Bluetooth on Doze" option in Naptime Settings.

This guide assumes you know a few things about ADB, Phone Settings... bla bla... :)

Attachments

• Naptime_TEKHD_0.jpg.jpg
    Naptime_TEKHD_0.jpg.jpg
    236.9 KB · Views: 276
  • Naptime_TEKHD_1.jpg
    Naptime_TEKHD_1.jpg
    378 KB · Views: 282
  • Naptime_TEKHD_2.jpg
    Naptime_TEKHD_2.jpg
    323.5 KB · Views: 283
  • Tasker_TEKHD_1.jpg
    Tasker_TEKHD_1.jpg
    196.6 KB · Views: 259
  • Tasker_TEKHD_2.jpg.jpg
    Tasker_TEKHD_2.jpg.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 252
Last edited:

MambaBean24

Dec 20, 2019
Battery Drain Solution: (Aggressive Doze via Naptime with Tasker making sure rules are applied/imposed & keep monitoring apps via GSam Battery Monitor Pro for app adjustments later on / individual app battery settings)

Playstore:

I will ONLY include Naptime Settings since I don't expect many people will actually invest $6.97 on these 3 apps. (legitimate way)

I guarantee you will get amazing battery life with all 3 apps combined, but with Naptime only, you will see a HUGE difference in battery consumption when leaving it overnight or screen off. Yes, HUGE difference, otherwise I wouldn't be wasting my time with this post.

After installing Apps...

ADB Commands:

Naptime

Code:
adb -d shell pm grant com.franco.doze android.permission.DUMP
adb -d shell pm grant com.franco.doze android.permission.WRITE_SECURE_SETTINGS

... if using GSam

Code:
adb -d shell pm grant com.gsamlabs.bbm.pro android.permission.BATTERY_STATS

Follow screenshots... *Make sure ALL 3 Apps are set to "Don't Optimize" (If using Naptime only, then make sure Naptime is set to "Don't Optimize") Also... if using a Galaxy Watch or any other Bluetooth device, simply don't use the "Disable Bluetooth on Doze" option in Naptime Settings.

This guide assumes you know a few things about ADB, Phone Settings... bla bla... :)
As I stated earlier, I was using nap time for a bit and it did help a little bit but my problem wasn't really stand by time. On top of that it was delaying notifications for so many apps it just wasn't worth it. Not to mention we shouldn't need to have to do any of this stuff.

---------- Post added at 10:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:52 PM ----------

As far as rooting goes, it's been forever since I last rooted... I finance the phone through T-Mobile which means I can't unlock the bootloader, I can't remember but I don't think you can flash things or root the phone even if the bootloader is locked correct?

BtuMars

Dec 24, 2019
I turned off all the experience improvement programs. Cpu usage has gone down on cores 0-3. But it could all be in my head too.

js042507

Jan 7, 2011
Google Pixel 6 Pro

Playstore:

After installing Apps...

ADB Commands:

Naptime

... if using GSam

As I stated earlier, I was using nap time for a bit and it did help a little bit but my problem wasn't really stand by time. On top of that it was delaying notifications for so many apps it just wasn't worth it. Not to mention we shouldn't need to have to do any of this stuff.

---------- Post added at 10:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:52 PM ----------

As far as rooting goes, it's been forever since I last rooted... I finance the phone through T-Mobile which means I can't unlock the bootloader, I can't remember but I don't think you can flash things or root the phone even if the bootloader is locked correct?
This phone is able to be rooted. I'm rooted right now. I also made a guide on this procedure in the other sub-forum. Anyhow, no you cannot root without unlocking the bootloader. Also, regarding the battery...mine sucks. Even with greenify rooted. It's better I think with greenify, but still something is wrong. I might try this Tasker method though. Please post some results after you've been running this setup for a while.

Blkjck11

Oct 23, 2007
Think I found my major issue with the battery drain.
Adguard. Used it on the past three phones before the McLaren, never had any major consumption issues with it I honestly didn't consider it when I first installed it immediately when I got the phone and have been using it for the past week and a half. It did not using that much battery. And I know their explanation is that since all traffic goes through it it appears to be using more battery than it is. But I feel like this might be an issue with Android 10 because in this case it does appear to be actually using all that battery.

So I just tried to give it a shot today, the battery test before and after while doing Christmas stuff all day leaving my phone be playing a YouTube video for hours at a time.

Only thing that's changed between these two screenshots was uninstalling Adguard. So just a thought, suggestion if anyone else is using it or a similar application.
(also my 5G is enabled in both even though it doesn't look that way in the screenshots, it's just set for Auto, so it went back to 4G)
Before and after Adguard:

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191225-100353.jpg
    Screenshot_20191225-100353.jpg
    209.1 KB · Views: 390
  • Screenshot_20191225-195331.jpg
    Screenshot_20191225-195331.jpg
    211.2 KB · Views: 388
Last edited:

MambaBean24

Dec 20, 2019
Deleted google apps

So I deleted the google dialer, as well as messages and a few other google apps that replaced the stock oneplus ones I had disabled and it seems that solved my problem (mostly, still not getting 8 hours SOT lol!)
Both pictures are showed after I tired this but the first one shows what the battery life was like up until that point,

Attachments

• 62.jpg
    62.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 264
  • 32.jpg
    32.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 261

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    almost 7 hours on screen time (edit: managed 8% with 7.5 hrs)

settings:
    -3G/Lte
    -FHD+
    -60hz
    -no ambient display
    -stopped using bluetooth with active watch (seems it drains battery than normal)
    -disabled every gesture when screen is off

-dev options / standby apps (edit as for personal use)
    Ex: social apps set to working_set but whatsapp, phone, messages, calendar, etc set to active

---SEE screenshots for dev options i have enabled and disabled that improved battery
    It that's turning OFF most of the features that would be buying the phone for.. lol
    Agreed idle drain is almost non existent with blu spark kernel.

Forgot to mention that I also have Doze disabled using a script that runs on boot.
    Now that I took the time to unlock and root, I flash the bluspark kernel, and my idle battery drain is almost nothing now. Something in the stock kernel is causing the horrible drain.
    Out of curiosity, Do you also disable ram boost?

I did not. Used to with the 7 Pro and arter's kernel, but it's not mentioned as recommended for bluspark.
    The last 3 days I've tried different things after getting horrible battery life:

Day 1, 5G on, on cellular most of the day = 4.5 hours SoT
    Day 2, 5G on, on WiFi most of the day = 7.5 hours SoT
    Day 3, 5G off, on LTE most of the day = 6 hours SoT