• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

OnePlus 7t pro McLaren 5g T-Mobile overheating

Search This thread

cesar.mk4

Jun 25, 2013
I cannot use 5g on my phone without overheating issues. I noticed it happens more if im travelling, possibly because of 5g and LTE signals changing so frequently back and forth in 5g dead zones. This is also the first thread i find on this device and issue. Is TMobile sending you a new device. I had touch screen issues with my S10 Plus before 30 days of having it since launch date and TMobile refused to send me a new device. They said they send devices people return within their 14 day period.

ruthlessnature

Aug 27, 2010
reading
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
I cannot use 5g on my phone without overheating issues. I noticed it happens more if im travelling, possibly because of 5g and LTE signals changing so frequently back and forth in 5g dead zones. This is also the first thread i find on this device and issue. Is TMobile sending you a new device. I had touch screen issues with my S10 Plus before 30 days of having it since launch date and TMobile refused to send me a new device. They said they send devices people return within their 14 day period.
They are sending me a new returned device and they reimbursed me the $26 shipping fee and the $20 replacement fee with a $50 bill credit. I had to get a little nasty with them and escalate it to a supervisor but whatever works right lol.

tserv95

Mar 1, 2015
I turned 5G completely off on my device. I get 5G is part of the device but i bought it mainly for it being Oneplus device. You can't get the 7T Pro in the US unless thru T Mobile

ruthlessnature

Aug 27, 2010
reading
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
I turned 5G completely off on my device. I get 5G is part of the device but i bought it mainly for it being Oneplus device. You can't get the 7T Pro in the US unless thru T Mobile
It does run decent with 5g off for me too but with not many people making mention of having issues with the overheating I don't wanna wait too long to get a replacement Incase it's due to a defective phone.

tserv95

Mar 1, 2015
Are you getting an actual overheating message? The phone getting warm using a 5G modem is perfectly normal. If the phone is shutting itself down to cool down or giving you some overheat message then it is indeed overheating. You might be able to use an app like cpu-z to see the temperature too.

ruthlessnature

Aug 27, 2010
reading
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Are you getting an actual overheating message? The phone getting warm using a 5G modem is perfectly normal. If the phone is shutting itself down to cool down or giving you some overheat message then it is indeed overheating. You might be able to use an app like cpu-z to see the temperature too.
Yes getting an actual overheating warning , and after it cools it gives another message saying it's back to normal but it runs really laggy for awhile afterwards.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200102-205028.jpg
    Screenshot_20200102-205028.jpg
    177.6 KB · Views: 273

Crisisx1

May 8, 2011
Orlando, FL
Reading all the negativity leaves me wondering if I should of gotten the Samsung galaxy s10 5g?

I mean I still have 4 days for the t mobile 14 day return policy. Hmmm

tserv95

Mar 1, 2015
Reading all the negativity leaves me wondering if I should of gotten the Samsung galaxy s10 5g?

I haven't had a single issue with my phone. Granted I'm not sure about the whole GPS thing as I don't use gps that much. Though heat wise my phone's gotten warm on gaming but has not overheated once. Even when I was using it with 5G

Reactions: ruthlessnature

Crisisx1

May 8, 2011
Orlando, FL
I've gotten a lot of dropped calls, a lot more than my s8+.

I just used the GPS for a 7hr drive and it worked great. No issues.

My battery life is getting a bit better after disabling battery optimization.

buggs1a

Sep 17, 2009
Tukwila
I got mine yesterday. New tmo customer.
I played DC Legends. Within 3 minutes it was hot. Not warm but hot. Never had any other phone get that hot. I played maybe 15 minutes but it was hot. I could feel the heat an inch away without touching. So I’m returning it.

The home screen won’t rotate and the heat problem I am returning it. I can’t imagine why in the world OnePlus refuses to let you rotate the home screen. I need that.

Plus default settings the phone said I wasn’t connected to cell when I was in play store. It said 5g up top but changed to 4g and back to 5g several times real fast. Web sites sometimes hesitated to load for awhile.

I don’t know if I should try another considering that you can’t rotate the home screen and how hot it got and the connection issue.

---------- Post added at 09:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:08 AM ----------

I played DC Legends. Within 3 minutes it was hot. Not warm but hot. Never had any other phone get that hot. I played maybe 15 minutes but it was hot. I could feel the heat an inch away without touching. So I’m returning it.

The home screen won’t rotate and the heat problem I am returning it. I can’t imagine why in the world OnePlus refuses to let you rotate the home screen. I need that.

Plus default settings the phone said I wasn’t connected to cell when I was in play store. It said 5g up top but changed to 4g and back to 5g several times real fast. Web sites sometimes hesitated to load for awhile.

I don’t know if I should try another considering that you can’t rotate the home screen and how hot it got and the connection issue.

ruthlessnature

Aug 27, 2010
reading
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra

---------- Post added at 09:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:08 AM ----------

It's a great phone, my replacement has no overheating issues. I have had pretty much every flagship phone up to date and this is by far my favorite. If you can get over the home screen not rotating you should just return it and get a replacement. If the rotating home screen is a deal breaker for you just return it and get a phone that you are happy with. As far as the 5g goes I am really enjoying it. I'm getting very good speeds in my area and can't really say I have any complaints.

buggs1a

Sep 17, 2009
Tukwila
Thanks. I'm going to exchange it. I just used the merge call feature with tmo support for a 3 way call and that's awesome. Plus I do like the phone. And someone said there's an app that forces landscape. So I'm going to try it.

I wonder though if the phone should get as hot as I described. I never got any overheating message but I could hold my hand over the screen an inch or so and feel the heat. Plus I consider that it was very hot when I would touch the screen and I've never had a phone this way before.

ruthlessnature

Aug 27, 2010
reading
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Thanks. I'm going to exchange it. I just used the merge call feature with tmo support for a 3 way call and that's awesome. Plus I do like the phone. And someone said there's an app that forces landscape. So I'm going to try it.

I wonder though if the phone should get as hot as I described. I never got any overheating message but I could hold my hand over the screen an inch or so and feel the heat. Plus I consider that it was very hot when I would touch the screen and I've never had a phone this way before.
Well I have been playing cod alot on the highest brightness setting with no overheating, the original one I had that I exchanged I couldn't play more than a few min. Without it overheating, I couldn't even watch YouTube without overheating. The only way to get it to work without overheating was to turn off 5g. I do not have any heat issues with the new one.

buggs1a

Sep 17, 2009
Tukwila
I could not get over the home screen not rotating. So I got the note 10 +. I have that with xfinity.

But I’m still not sure if I want to keep it. I really liked the mclaren but it got so hot and home screen won’t rotate.

Tmo charged me $50 restock because I did not prove to them the issue. I didn’t want to waste my time. I had already reset it and wanted to just get out. So I’m so disappointed that I don’t really like any phones out that tmo has.

Ugh.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I haven't had a single issue with my phone. Granted I'm not sure about the whole GPS thing as I don't use gps that much. Though heat wise my phone's gotten warm on gaming but has not overheated once. Even when I was using it with 5G