Attachments

• Screenshot_20200625-133544.jpg
    Screenshot_20200625-133544.jpg
    249.7 KB · Views: 724
Reactions: DeejayBaca

NotATreoFan

Senior Moderator / Developer & Moderator Committee
Staff member
Woke up to some weird quirks with my phone and the Play Store, so after hours of troubleshooting, I just restored to 10.0.34 using MSM. I'm in the process of unlocking, fixing the reserve.img, and updating the 10.0.36 via OTA.

I'll update my reserve.img fix as soon as I'm done, so that anyone wanting to MSM straight to 10.0.36 won't have to jump through the same hoops.

Reactions: starcms

starcms

• I think the issue is if you mount / (root) as r/w even once, it screws up the checksums and the updates don't come through.

I used the msm tool to update to 10.0.36 (losing all my data in the process) and the tool for 10.0.36 to restore reserve (tyvm @NotATreoFan), but even after updating, in security it was showing security update as June 1, 2020 (which is correct for 10.0.36) but for Google Play system update, it was still showing April 1, 2020 with a red icon instead of green. Clicking it and searching for updates didn't help (no updates found). Updating play services manually didn't help. But after 2 or 3 days, it must have updated in the background because Google Play system update is now showing July 1, 2020 (with security update showing June 1, 2020). Just FYI, the Google Play system update is part of project mainline (an extension of project treble) which allows Google to update parts of the phone without going through any oems or carriers. So even the msm tool for 10.0.36 only comes with the Google Play system update from April 1. Luckily as I said, it updates in the background after just approx 2 days.

But back to the main issue of not receiving the 10.0.36 update, maybe it's a waiting game, but it's never taken this long before. As I said, I think it's from you or a badly written magisk module from setting root directory to r/w even once (even if restoring it back to r/o without making any changes). If I'm correct, the only way to fix is by running the msm tool (since OnePlus refuses to let us have downloadable OTA updates or even a full fastboot package)

Edit: Also, if you have previously fixed your persist for FP to work, you'll have to restore your backup of fixed persist after running the msm tool and then unlocking the bootloader or your FP sensor won't work. Also, as mentioned above, you'll need to restore the reserve partition as well since the msm tool locks the bootloader and unlocking it causes reserve to be deleted. Don't you just love this phone...

Pic added to clarify the difference in the two types of security updates

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200809-154756.jpg
      Screenshot_20200809-154756.jpg
      157 KB · Views: 170
    Last edited:

ttabbal

Jul 1, 2009
    Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
    I don't think there is any great need to update to this one, but I'll probably do the next one via MSM just to keep reasonably up to date.

Honestly, I really do like the device overall. It works well, is snappy, and has decent 5G support. I do not like that it's hobbled by TMO like most carrier devices on the software side. But at the same time, non-carrier devices often have issues with volte, which is going to be required here soon. Oneplus seems to support the international version pretty well, so it seems obvious this version is being held up by TMO. Sad, overall I like them.

t436h05t

Oct 13, 2007
    What I don't get is that when I first got the phone I rooted it and few weeks later I got a OTA. I had to removed Magisk and replace the adb recovery with the stock one. Then the OTA updated without a issue and did the re-root procedure. After that I put back the reserve file(supposed to fix OTAs). And now no OTA? Weird because unless something was part of the updated I don't understand why the first update came through but not the next one...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200820-150949.jpg
      Screenshot_20200820-150949.jpg
      237.5 KB · Views: 60
    • Screenshot_20200820-151053.jpg
      Screenshot_20200820-151053.jpg
      170 KB · Views: 64
    • Screenshot_20200820-151059.jpg
      Screenshot_20200820-151059.jpg
      140.3 KB · Views: 61
    Last edited:

starcms

• What I don't get is that when I first got the phone I rooted it and few weeks later I got a OTA. I had to removed Magisk and replace the adb recovery with the stock one. Then the OTA updated without a issue and did the re-root procedure. After that I put back the reserve file(supposed to fix OTAs). And now no OTA? Weird because unless something was part of the updated I don't understand why the first update came through but not the next one...

Well if it had updated correctly previously, your reserve file had already been restored, so there was no need to restore it again.

But regardless, all of those errors that were seen if reserve hadn't been restored, or if boot or recovery images hadn't been restored to stock, were installation errors. The OTA was found, downloaded, but there was an issue on installation.

The problem now is that no OTA is being found. I'm beginning to think they possibly pulled 10.0.36 due to some bug, because no one has had to wait for an OTA this long previously. The only thing that should stop an OTA from being seen/found is if one had updated their fingerprint (to spoof a pixel for example).

At least from your screenshots, you see that Google was able to install their "project mainline" update. It's in the pics from security under Google Play System Update (is completely separate from Play Services) dated July 1, 2020.

Let's hope T-Mobile gets this missing OTA crap fixed asap

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts