OnePlus 7T Pro McLaren 5G Update 10.0.36.HD61CB Released

Search This thread

t436h05t

Oct 13, 2007
Well if it had updated correctly previously, your reserve file had already been restored, so there was no need to restore it again.

But regardless, all of those errors that were seen if reserve hadn't been restored, or if boot or recovery images hadn't been restored to stock, were installation errors. The OTA was found, downloaded, but there was an issue on installation.

The problem now is that no OTA is being found. I'm beginning to think they possibly pulled 10.0.36 due to some bug, because no one has had to wait for an OTA this long previously. The only thing that should stop an OTA from being seen/found is if one had updated their fingerprint (to spoof a pixel for example).

At least from your screenshots, you see that Google was able to install their "project mainline" update. It's in the pics from security under Google Play System Update (is completely separate from Play Services) dated July 1, 2020.

Let's hope T-Mobile gets this missing OTA crap fixed asap

Yours shows you have a new security update, you said after you msm restored you received the update after 2 weeks. Wonder why mine is not updating. I do use a fingerprint in Magisk to pass safetynet with edxposed, going to try to disable that and see if it has any effect. I do think it is possible maybe they pulled the OTA considering they may have bugs or a newer update is close to coming out(idk). I'll tinker around a bit more see if I can uncover anything.

starcms

• Yours shows you have a new security update, you said after you msm restored you received the update after 2 weeks. Wonder why mine is not updating. I do use a fingerprint in Magisk to pass safetynet with edxposed, going to try to disable that and see if it has any effect. I do think it is possible maybe they pulled the OTA considering they may have bugs or a newer update is close to coming out(idk). I'll tinker around a bit more see if I can uncover anything.

No, I got 10.0.36 along with the latest security update (June 1, 2020) by running version 10.0.36 of the msm tool. You are confusing the part I said about the Security Update vs the Google Play system update (which I said I got about 2 DAYS after running the msm tool to put me on 10.0.36, again with the June 1 security update. The Google Play system update updated me from April 1, 2020 to July 1, 2020 approx 2 days later -- BUT my Security Update is still June 1, 2020)

If you are changing your fingerprint in magisk for any reason, the OTA update definitely won't show up. Never, ever, ever. But if that is the cause, simply disabling the appropriate module and rebooting would allow the OTA update to be found and come through. Normally I'd say that would fix it right there.

But it doesn't seem hardly anyone (anyone at all??) has gotten an OTA from 10.0.35 to 10.0.36. I know at least one person got an OTA update from 10.0.34 directly to 10.0.36. I don't know why but it seems they just never made it available to the vast majority of users.

Last edited:

t436h05t

Oct 13, 2007
    Last edited:
    Reactions: norwoodesteel

t436h05t

Oct 13, 2007
    Hey, got the update :cool:

Did not disabled Magisk.

Downloaded update, Asked to restart.

Terrible TMobile logo came up, sat there for ~5mins. Seemed like it was frozen.

Booted with no root. Rerooted. done.

But u were right. They must have pulled that previous update. Weird af ?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200825-230916.jpg
      Screenshot_20200825-230916.jpg
      247.7 KB · Views: 85
    • Screenshot_20200825-234514.jpg
      Screenshot_20200825-234514.jpg
      193.2 KB · Views: 85
    • Screenshot_20200825-234534.jpg
      Screenshot_20200825-234534.jpg
      169.5 KB · Views: 84

Lanaka

Aug 30, 2011
    Honolulu, HI
    McLaren 10.0.37.HD61CB + Aug 2020 Security Patch

Just got the OTA tonight, 6/24

Notes:
    Android security update: June 1, 2020

Just got notice of Update 10.0.37.HD61CB with Security Patch Aug 2020.

Anyone knows whether this is rootable? Haven't rooted yet (just got the McLaren new several weeks ago). Nor have I installed the update yet...altho it said will force install at end of month (Aug 30).

EDIT: NVM, missed page 2 of this thread, looks like I CAN root my brand spanking new McLaren after this update after all! Looking forward to having a rooted phone again after years of an unrootable Kyocera DuraForce Pro!

Time to start learning what I gotta do to root this beast!

DEC 26 2020 Update:
    Ever since COVID has started earlier this year, priorities has shifted away from rooting the phone to staying financially afloat. During the year, my phone has updated itself to Build 10.0.40.HD61CB and a Security Patch dated 01 Oct 2020.. Are the roots still working with these updates?

Lan

Last edited:

Joe199799

Sep 7, 2014
    10.0.37 OTA installed seamlessly, and rooted again after.

So I was on 10.16 for literally the longest time because I didn't feel like going through the hassle of re-rooting. Well my phone got mad at me and decided to auto update itself how would I go about re-rooting? Do I need a PC? I'm stuck at work I rebooted to apply my updated swift installer overlays and realized it was a TMobile splash screen instead of the McLaren one and knew something went wrong. Thanks in advance.

t436h05t

Oct 13, 2007
    So I was on 10.16 for literally the longest time because I didn't feel like going through the hassle of re-rooting. Well my phone got mad at me and decided to auto update itself how would I go about re-rooting? Do I need a PC? I'm stuck at work I rebooted to apply my updated swift installer overlays and realized it was a TMobile splash screen instead of the McLaren one and knew something went wrong. Thanks in advance.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/7t-pro-mclaren/how-to/how-to-guide-root-oneplus-7t-pro-t4021325
    Start at step 5
    Yes u need a PC

norwoodesteel

Aug 13, 2011
    5G SA is not an option for us. Our device does not have the required band support. The OnePlus 8 does support it, when the OTA comes for it.

Current handsets with X55 modems – such as the OnePlus 8 series – will be able to work with SA networks, Liu said. T-Mobile has confirmed this for me previously. AT&T, which isn’t a current OnePlus partner, has said that next year’s Qualcomm X60 phone will be needed for standalone mode on its network.

“SA can come with a firmware update on existing handsets if the handsets are equipped with the X55 modem,” Liu said. (PC magazine)

I don't know but other publications have also said this phone will get 5g SA

NotATreoFan

Senior Moderator / Developer & Moderator Committee
    Staff member
    Current handsets with X55 modems – such as the OnePlus 8 series – will be able to work with SA networks, Liu said. T-Mobile has confirmed this for me previously. AT&T, which isn’t a current OnePlus partner, has said that next year’s Qualcomm X60 phone will be needed for standalone mode on its network.

“SA can come with a firmware update on existing handsets if the handsets are equipped with the X55 modem,” Liu said. (PC magazine)

I don't know but other publications have also said this phone will get 5g SA

It will be nice if it gets updated, but my understanding was that the OP8 would be the first OP device to support 5G SA.

Lanaka

Aug 30, 2011
    Honolulu, HI
    I'm really irritated as I just recently (<6 months ago) bought my McLaren only to get the word that the upcoming 5g may not work for my phone.

Does this mean I'm going to have to buy another phone. I generally don't buy phones more frequently than 2-3 years, especially considering how expensive they've been getting lately.

starcms

• I'm really irritated as I just recently (<6 months ago) bought my McLaren only to get the word that the upcoming 5g may not work for my phone.

Does this mean I'm going to have to buy another phone. I generally don't buy phones more frequently than 2-3 years, especially considering how expensive they've been getting lately.

Relax. Our phone, the T-Mobile 7T Pro Mclaren edition fully supports all of TMobile's current and future 5G offerings (with one minor, meaningless exception, see below). It has been updated to support mid-band 5G (n41, 2500mhz) which T-Mobile is currently rolling out nationwide, will be nationwide by end of 2021, and offers speeds of 300mbps to 1gbps+. It also has been updated to support SA 5G (stand-alone 5G) assuming you have gotten the updated R15 sim card from T-Mobile.

So right now you can access low-band NSA and SA 5G nationwide. When mid-band comes to your city, you'll see an extremely drastic increase in speed. And it even turns out that Qualcomm lied and the X55 modem in our phones also supports VoNR (Vo5G). It just needs an update to be activated (or you can do so yourself right now by adding one 2 byte specially named file to nvram -- I've done so myself and have fully working voice calls on SA 5G).

The only thing it doesn't support is mmWave 5G, which is useless (and neither does the OP8 nor OP8T -- ours supports everything they support). Yes, you can get speeds up to 1gbps+, but it works in the 25 to 40 GHz range meaning a transmitter (tower) is needed literally every block because the signal can hardly propagate. It can't even go thru glass or your hand. So it'll only be deployed in the very largest cities (NYC, LA, etc) and then only in the very busiest parts of those cities. And it only works outdoors while walking. Not even in a moving car with the windows open.

T-mobile has rolled out mmWave in a couple cities, but the vast majority of their phones don't even support it. T-mobile got tons upon tons of mid-band spectrum when they bought Sprint (much more than both AT&T and Verizon combined). Mid-band is the goldilocks band for 5G. It travels a good distance and delivers speeds almost matching mmWave, or even exceeding it in some cases. The only places T-Mobile will be deploying mmWave in the future is in giant sports stadiums and the like. Right now, all of their efforts are being put into rolling out mid-band 5G nationwide, which your phone already supports. And unlike mmWave garbage, it works indoors, while moving, etc.

So with this phone and T-Mobile, you are set for 2+ years easy, probably much more. Low-band 5G support, check. Mid-band 5G support, check. Stand-alone 5G support, check (you just need the new R15 type sim card). And not that it's even important right now, but VoNR support will most likely be coming in a future update, or you can enable it yourself right now, check. It supports literally everything except mmWave garbage, which T-Mobile isn't planning on rolling out in any significant capacity because mid-band is better in literally every way. And just a note to finish on, AT&T and Verizon are screwed.

Last edited:

Lanaka

Aug 30, 2011
    Honolulu, HI
    Relax. Our phone, the T-Mobile 7T Pro Mclaren edition fully supports all of TMobile's current and future 5G offerings (with one minor, meaningless exception, see below). It has been updated to support mid-band 5G (n41, 2500mhz) which T-Mobile is currently rolling out nationwide, will be nationwide by end of 2021, and offers speeds of 300mbps to 1gbps+. It also has been updated to support SA 5G (stand-alone 5G) assuming you have gotten the updated R15 sim card from T-Mobile.

So right now you can access low-band NSA and SA 5G nationwide. When mid-band comes to your city, you'll see an extremely drastic increase in speed. And it even turns out that Qualcomm lied and the X55 modem in our phones also supports VoNR (Vo5G). It just needs an update to be activated (or you can do so yourself right now by adding one 2 byte specially named file to nvram -- I've done so myself and have fully working voice calls on SA 5G).

The only thing it doesn't support is mmWave 5G, which is useless (and neither does the OP8 nor OP8T -- ours supports everything they support). Yes, you can get speeds up to 1gbps+, but it works in the 25 to 40 GHz range meaning a transmitter (tower) is needed literally every block because the signal can hardly propagate. It can't even go thru glass or your hand. So it'll only be deployed in the very largest cities (NYC, LA, etc) and then only in the very busiest parts of those cities. And it only works outdoors while walking. Not even in a moving car with the windows open.

T-mobile has rolled out mmWave in a couple cities, but the vast majority of their phones don't even support it. T-mobile got tons upon tons of mid-band spectrum when they bought Sprint (much more than both AT&T and Verizon combined). Mid-band is the goldilocks band for 5G. It travels a good distance and delivers speeds almost matching mmWave, or even exceeding it in some cases. The only places T-Mobile will be deploying mmWave in the future is in giant sports stadiums and the like. Right now, all of their efforts are being put into rolling out mid-band 5G nationwide, which your phone already supports. And unlike mmWave garbage, it works indoors, while moving, etc.

So with this phone and T-Mobile, you are set for 2+ years easy, probably much more. Low-band 5G support, check. Mid-band 5G support, check. Stand-alone 5G support, check (you just need the new R15 type sim card). And not that it's even important right now, but VoNR support will most likely be coming in a future update, or you can enable it yourself right now, check. It supports literally everything except mmWave garbage, which T-Mobile isn't planning on rolling out in any significant capacity because mid-band is better in literally every way. And just a note to finish on, AT&T and Verizon are screwed.

Thank you, that's good to know as I've already spent a lot on the McLaren plus 2x 128gb flash cards, a poetic hard case (altho am gonna cut out the ridiculously thick soft plastic screen cover and sub in a glass screen protector, too many false finger lifting with the almost useless sticky poetic screen cover). Love the phone, but don't love the theatrics T-Mobile is doing now.

I agree, while the mm5G sounds impressive, I'm not impressed by it's lack of range. The midband and lowbands are of greater interest. In Honolulu, Hawai'i, they've already rolled out some low5g service coverage already and appears to be expanding that coverage quickly.

- Lan

starcms

• Thank you, that's good to know as I've already spent a lot on the McLaren plus 2x 128gb flash cards, a poetic hard case (altho am gonna cut out the ridiculously thick soft plastic screen cover and sub in a glass screen protector, too many false finger lifting with the almost useless sticky poetic screen cover). Love the phone, but don't love the theatrics T-Mobile is doing now.

- Lan

What theatrics? T-mobile is the only carrier with a true 5G nationwide network that is getting better literally every day. Verizon and AT&T are the ones putting out completely false advertisements regarding their 5G capabilities (or lack thereof) and it's only going to come back and bite them in the ass.

And this phone doesn't have an SD card slot...

Last edited:

Lanaka

Aug 30, 2011
    Honolulu, HI
    What theatrics? T-mobile is the only carrier with a true 5G nationwide network that is getting better literally every day.

And this phone doesn't have an SD card slot...

Yeah, found to my dismay AFTER buying the phone AND the flash cards at same time. (Shrugs) Oh well, at least I can use the flash cards elsewhere. Still spent a thousand in one shot. Owch.

The theatrics I was referring to was the cryptic double talking I've been getting when I try to talk to tech supports (after holding for super long times) trying to figure out the future prospects of the McLaren and getting different answers from different people. Even the sales support had different answers. The media (both online and tv/radio) wasn't much better as they either repeated the same multiple different answers OR somehow came up with more different answers citing "anonymous sources." Confusing to say the least. Doesn't help matters when they moved my account to a new(ish) computer system on which both the techs and sales people wasn't familiar with. At least THAT issue has been largely sorted out.

-Lan

Top Liked Posts