• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

OnePlus 7T Pro random reboots and horrible game performance

Search This thread

Annie the Eagle

Feb 8, 2011
Classified
dsr.annietheeagle.com
Hey guys. So I've had this phone for about a week now.

Firstly, I expected quite a lot from this phone having a SD855+ and all (my previous phone had one too, but my friend's daughter decided it shouldn't stay on the table! :angel: ).

First thing, even though its running on the stock ROM (with root, but I've rooted every phone since the Samsung Galaxy S3!), I get random reboots! They don't take too long to restart, the phone screen just goes black then shows the spinny OnePlus logo and after 10 seconds or so, it's back up. But that's not what I expect... It seems to happen more when playing Pokémon GO (but I played that on my old phone and it worked fine!)

Second thing is the actual game performance... for a phone with an SD855+ and a 90 Hz screen, it plays games like a phone from 5 years ago, every half a minute or so, I get massive frame drops for a second or two, even the sound of the game gets choppy and horrible.

I never remember having this on my old phone (ROG Phone II) despite very similar specs (CPU, high refresh screen etc).

It seems from XDA and OnePlus forums that the culprit seems to be Android 10 in general? I have to admit it kind of makes sense, as one of my secondary phones (for Pokemon GO) is the Mi 9T Pro, and it also runs like ass on that phone, which also has Android 10, where as my ROG Phone II was still Android 9.

Does anyone have any thoughts, suggestions on what to do? It's actually getting annoying enough now that I'm considering returning this to Amazon, and just using my Mi 9T Pro until the S20 Ultra comes out because I certainly don't expect this performance from a £699 smartphone.

Annie the Eagle

Feb 8, 2011
Classified
dsr.annietheeagle.com

Annie the Eagle

Feb 8, 2011
Classified
dsr.annietheeagle.com

jaythenut

Sep 6, 2012
How did you flash it if you don't mind me asking while keeping root?

Thanks mate you been really helpful

7) Wait for it to install and ensure you DO NOT reboot at the end
8) Go to Magisk manager and disable/delete any modules you have installed (will screw your device up if you leave them enabled)
9) In Magisk manager select install then 'install to inactive slot (After OTA)'
10) Reboot and you should be on the latest firmware with root retained
11) If you have Magisk modules you want enabled again don't just hit enable - remove them totally and redownload them before enabling