• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

OnePlus 8 (instantnoodle) - ROM Installer [Linux Only ATM]

Search This thread

k9r4n16

Mar 29, 2019
OnePlus 8

instantnoodle-tools-cli-main​

Hey all!

I've started this project to allow people to use their devices longer, right now with a focus on the OnePlus 8, but eventually spreading to more devices. These scripts are currently for Linux Ubuntu/Debian distros only, but I plan on expanding support to other systems as well. Below is a link to all the files you will need to start using the scripts for beta testing on Linux machines. The only three ROMs available at the moment are Lineage OS 18.1 (with or without Google), ShapeShift OS v2.6, and Pixel Experience, but, again, more ROMs will be supported. I also plan to include troubleshooting support for frequent issues that can be fixed.

setup.sh - this script installs all of the tools and software for the next scripts to use for flashing. Please initiate this script first time and every week or so to keep tools up-to-date and fresh.

autotools.sh - This is the main script you will be executing. The rest will be executed from here. Do not execute any others manually to ensure you don't break anything.

rom-installer.sh - ROM chooser script. downloads the ROM of your choice and extracts the fastboot images from the payload.bin file. Do not execute from here.

In each ROM folder, there will be an info "readme" file. These files basically serve as a directory listing, allowing you to find the project page on XDA/GitHub/Website, look at any known bugs before you flash, and see any special install instructions. Please check these files regularly!

I will be focusing on perfecting the process on the command line on Ubuntu and Debian based distros first before I begin supporting more distros and operating systems. feel free to leave comments about the project below and begin porting your device into the project!

<---------- WARNING ---------->

// THIS IS STRICTLY IN ALPHA TESTING

// USE AT YOUR OWN RISK AND ALWAYS BACKUP YOUR DATA

<---------- REQUIREMENTS ---------->
  1. YOUR DEVICE MUST BE BOOTLOADER UNLOCKED
  2. PUT THIS FOLDER IN ROOT (~) aka Home
  3. PATIENCE - This project is still in the process of setting up and may produce errors. Feel free to contact me or anyone on XDA to help you with any issues or answer your questions.
  4. BACKUP YOUR DATA - Backup all of your data even before you unlock your bootlaoder, because as soon as it is unlocked the device is wiped. Be prepared and you have been warned.

<-------------- RECOMMENDATIONS ------------>

I highly recommend you root your phone and leave Lineage Recovery or Pixel Experience Recovery on the device. This generally makes troubleshooting faster and easier. Plus, it allows you to backup your persist.img in the chances it does get corrupted. I will be adding a tool to backup and restore this image for you.

If enough support comes through, I will make a Telegram and Discord for this project specifically for support. :)

Last edited:

k9r4n16

Mar 29, 2019
OnePlus 8
UPDATE [2020-06-03]

- Added a new folder hierarchy to organize the mess a bit
- The entire project does not create anymore folders inside or outside of the branch
- Trying to leave a small footprint, so deletes all .img's, .bin's, and any other files immediately after usage.
- Updated README (and above)
- Brought support for ShapeShift OS (v2.6 Sceptile)
- Trying out an info file in each ROM folder to highlight features, issues, support, and information. Still working on gathering more information.

Hope everyone is doing well! If anyone has tried it out yet, even an older version, did it work for you and how was the overall process?

Reactions: bigrammy and miji2

FoxyDrew

Aug 18, 2014
East Taunton
You're "average Linux user" (ik basically a meme at this point) will have no issue installing a ROM manually instead, and would most likely prefer the control and ease of mind of the manual way. Especially because they still need to download and get an understanding of ADB/Fastboot and its commands since that's necessary for unlocking the bootloader.

With that being said I'm glad you made this, looking forward to further development, and I'm downloading now to test and for S&G.

k9r4n16

Mar 29, 2019
OnePlus 8
Yeah, that's true. I just wanted to get it going and working on Linux where I'm a bit more comfortable and then switch it to Windows once I have a Windows device. I definitely added a bootloader unlock, but that obviously only works for unlocked devices

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

instantnoodle-tools-cli-main​

Hey all!

I've started this project to allow people to use their devices longer, right now with a focus on the OnePlus 8, but eventually spreading to more devices. These scripts are currently for Linux Ubuntu/Debian distros only, but I plan on expanding support to other systems as well. Below is a link to all the files you will need to start using the scripts for beta testing on Linux machines. The only three ROMs available at the moment are Lineage OS 18.1 (with or without Google), ShapeShift OS v2.6, and Pixel Experience, but, again, more ROMs will be supported. I also plan to include troubleshooting support for frequent issues that can be fixed.

setup.sh - this script installs all of the tools and software for the next scripts to use for flashing. Please initiate this script first time and every week or so to keep tools up-to-date and fresh.

autotools.sh - This is the main script you will be executing. The rest will be executed from here. Do not execute any others manually to ensure you don't break anything.

rom-installer.sh - ROM chooser script. downloads the ROM of your choice and extracts the fastboot images from the payload.bin file. Do not execute from here.

In each ROM folder, there will be an info "readme" file. These files basically serve as a directory listing, allowing you to find the project page on XDA/GitHub/Website, look at any known bugs before you flash, and see any special install instructions. Please check these files regularly!

I will be focusing on perfecting the process on the command line on Ubuntu and Debian based distros first before I begin supporting more distros and operating systems. feel free to leave comments about the project below and begin porting your device into the project!

// THIS IS STRICTLY IN ALPHA TESTING

// USE AT YOUR OWN RISK AND ALWAYS BACKUP YOUR DATA

<---------- REQUIREMENTS ---------->
    1. YOUR DEVICE MUST BE BOOTLOADER UNLOCKED
    2. PUT THIS FOLDER IN ROOT (~) aka Home
    3. PATIENCE - This project is still in the process of setting up and may produce errors. Feel free to contact me or anyone on XDA to help you with any issues or answer your questions.
    4. BACKUP YOUR DATA - Backup all of your data even before you unlock your bootlaoder, because as soon as it is unlocked the device is wiped. Be prepared and you have been warned.

<-------------- RECOMMENDATIONS ------------>

I highly recommend you root your phone and leave Lineage Recovery or Pixel Experience Recovery on the device. This generally makes troubleshooting faster and easier. Plus, it allows you to backup your persist.img in the chances it does get corrupted. I will be adding a tool to backup and restore this image for you.

If enough support comes through, I will make a Telegram and Discord for this project specifically for support. :)
    UPDATE [2020-06-03]

- Added a new folder hierarchy to organize the mess a bit
    - The entire project does not create anymore folders inside or outside of the branch
    - Trying to leave a small footprint, so deletes all .img's, .bin's, and any other files immediately after usage.
    - Updated README (and above)
    - Brought support for ShapeShift OS (v2.6 Sceptile)
    - Trying out an info file in each ROM folder to highlight features, issues, support, and information. Still working on gathering more information.

Hope everyone is doing well! If anyone has tried it out yet, even an older version, did it work for you and how was the overall process?
    This is a really exciting concept and thank you very much for your efforts thus far.