OnePlus 8 Pro problem - No OS

Search This thread

SakasakaHeyhey

Nov 26, 2015
Hi guys,

I am having an issue with my OnePlus 8 Pro and I hope you can help me. I am open to all suggestions.
My phone bricked after trying to flash a custom rom. I have access to fastboot mode and TWRP. I am operating a linux machine and have windows10 running in virtualbox. I don't know if this is the reason but when I am trying to boot in to EDL mode (ony possibility is via TWRP) my device does not pop up in devicemanager. I followed all the steps in the thread about the MSM tool. When I try to get in to EDL mode with the hardware butons and the original cable from OnePlus I can not get in to EDL mode at all. Tried different cables and different USB ports on my computer but with no success. The correct qualcomm drivers are installed in windows so in theory it should work. Because of this I can not use the MSM tool to get my phone up and running. It simply does not pop up as a qualcomm device in devicemanager when I reboot in EDL mode.

I tried to flash the fastbootrom for my oneplus8 pro but after the last command it restarts and gets into stock recovery. In the command window it says 'waiting for any device' and nothing happens (I waited for about 20 minutes). In the post is mentioned: If the device automatically reboot in Stock Recovery mode don't reboot it and wait the flash end. Because nothing seems to happen I saw further in the post If the rom seems doesn't start go in recovery stock and follow this guideline: English -> Wipe data and cache -> Erase everything.There is no option available to wipe data and cache/ erase everything in the recovery menu. When I choose to reboot to recovery in the recovery menu my phone powers off. The other option is to reboot into fastbootmode. When I do that there is an error in the command window FAILED Flashing is not allowed for Critical Partitions. I don't know how to fix this. I tried both Linux to flash the fastboot rom manually and in windows also and with the flash-all.bat file. Everytime I end up in fastboot mode when I boot up my phone.

Instead of trying to flash the original OS with the fastbootrom I tried to flash different custom ROMS but somehow it will not install any ROM at all...the device reboots everytime to fastboot mode. Last option I tried is a different recovery. I flashed lineage recovery and tried to flash Lineage OS and AICP and this resulted also in only able to boot into fastboot mode.

I spend a lot of time on the web trying to figure out what is wrong and how to fix it but I have not found a solution yet.

Is there a solution available to get my phone up and running?

jamescable

Feb 3, 2011
Louisville
Nexus 7 (2013)
Google Pixel C
Hi guys,

I am having an issue with my OnePlus 8 Pro and I hope you can help me. I am open to all suggestions.
My phone bricked after trying to flash a custom rom. I have access to fastboot mode and TWRP. I am operating a linux machine and have windows10 running in virtualbox. I don't know if this is the reason but when I am trying to boot in to EDL mode (ony possibility is via TWRP) my device does not pop up in devicemanager. I followed all the steps in the thread about the MSM tool. When I try to get in to EDL mode with the hardware butons and the original cable from OnePlus I can not get in to EDL mode at all. Tried different cables and different USB ports on my computer but with no success. The correct qualcomm drivers are installed in windows so in theory it should work. Because of this I can not use the MSM tool to get my phone up and running. It simply does not pop up as a qualcomm device in devicemanager when I reboot in EDL mode.

I tried to flash the fastbootrom for my oneplus8 pro but after the last command it restarts and gets into stock recovery. In the command window it says 'waiting for any device' and nothing happens (I waited for about 20 minutes). In the post is mentioned: If the device automatically reboot in Stock Recovery mode don't reboot it and wait the flash end. Because nothing seems to happen I saw further in the post If the rom seems doesn't start go in recovery stock and follow this guideline: English -> Wipe data and cache -> Erase everything.There is no option available to wipe data and cache/ erase everything in the recovery menu. When I choose to reboot to recovery in the recovery menu my phone powers off. The other option is to reboot into fastbootmode. When I do that there is an error in the command window FAILED Flashing is not allowed for Critical Partitions. I don't know how to fix this. I tried both Linux to flash the fastboot rom manually and in windows also and with the flash-all.bat file. Everytime I end up in fastboot mode when I boot up my phone.

Instead of trying to flash the original OS with the fastbootrom I tried to flash different custom ROMS but somehow it will not install any ROM at all...the device reboots everytime to fastboot mode. Last option I tried is a different recovery. I flashed lineage recovery and tried to flash Lineage OS and AICP and this resulted also in only able to boot into fastboot mode.

I spend a lot of time on the web trying to figure out what is wrong and how to fix it but I have not found a solution yet.

Is there a solution available to get my phone up and running?
Sounds like a Qualcomm driver issue. You need that for msm

SakasakaHeyhey

Nov 26, 2015
You can only install Qualcomm drivers in windows, not linux
Hi jamescable,

Thanx for your support.

I am running windows 10 in a virtual machine and installed the drivers. The problem is that my device does not pop up as a qualcomm device in devicemanager when I boot into edl mode.

In fastboot mode my device does pop up in device manager.

That is what I do not understand.

jamescable

Feb 3, 2011
Louisville
Nexus 7 (2013)
Google Pixel C
Hi jamescable,

Thanx for your support.

I am running windows 10 in a virtual machine and installed the drivers. The problem is that my device does not pop up as a qualcomm device in devicemanager when I boot into edl mode.

Hi jamescable,

Thanx for your support.

To get to edl mode. Power phone off completely. Then. Use msmtool. Get it ready and hit start. Then hold down volume AND volume down. Do NOT hit power button at all. Plug phone in. Msmtool should start immediately

jamescable

Feb 3, 2011
Louisville
Nexus 7 (2013)
Google Pixel C
Hi jamescable,

Thanx for your support.

To get to edl mode. Power phone off completely. Then. Use msmtool. Get it ready and hit start. Then hold down volume up AND volume down. Do NOT hit power button at all. Plug phone in. Msmtool should start immediately

Last edited:

SakasakaHeyhey

Nov 26, 2015
To get to edl mode. Power phone off completely. Then. Use msmtool. Get it ready and hit start. Then hold down volume up AND volume down. Do NOT hit power button at all. Plug phone in. Msmtool should start immediately
Hi jamescable,

Just done exactly as above...my devices boots into edl mode, but msm tool does nothing and in devicemanager my device does not pop up either. I do not hear a sound when I plug in the One+ cable...tried different usb ports on the computer also.

Do you have any ideas what I can do more?

jamescable

Feb 3, 2011
Louisville
Nexus 7 (2013)
Google Pixel C
Hi jamescable,

Just done exactly as above...my devices boots into edl mode, but msm tool does nothing and in devicemanager my device does not pop up either. I do not hear a sound when I plug in the One+ cable...tried different usb ports on the computer also.

Do you have any ideas what I can do more?
It has to be a driver issue then. Windows in virtual machine obviously won't work for this

Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone