• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

OnePlus 8 Pro running Android 10 still the smoothest experience in 2021

Search This thread

Guyinlaca

Sep 13, 2010
Google Pixel 6 Pro
I've tested lots of phones and done a variety of tweaks and the OnePlus 8 Pro running Android 10 is still the smoothest experience I've had with any Android device. Having tried Android 11, I experienced random stutters and lag, so I downgraded back. It's almost a placebo effect with Android 11 on both OnePlus and Samsung devices where they seem faster at first, but get choked up when running multiple tasks or even doing basic tasks. This is possibly poor memory management? I've compared the OnePlus 8 Pro to the Note 20 Ultra (which is blazing fast) and still it manages to run smoother.

I know with many enthusiasts, being on the absolute latest Android update is a badge of honor, but when the newer software is more weighted down with overlays, it's not always a better experience. OxygenOS 10 was a perfect balance of a clean AOSP build with useful customizations. For those that are curious, it is possible to uninstall the Software Update feature to remain on the last Android 10 build.

Reactions: paq1170 and dladz

magicmckinney

Oct 9, 2012
I've tested lots of phones and done a variety of tweaks and the OnePlus 8 Pro running Android 10 is still the smoothest experience I've had with any Android device. Having tried Android 11, I experienced random stutters and lag, so I downgraded back. It's almost a placebo effect with Android 11 on both OnePlus and Samsung devices where they seem faster at first, but get choked up when running multiple tasks or even doing basic tasks. This is possibly poor memory management? I've compared the OnePlus 8 Pro to the Note 20 Ultra (which is blazing fast) and still it manages to run smoother.

I know with many enthusiasts, being on the absolute latest Android update is a badge of honor, but when the newer software is more weighted down with overlays, it's not always a better experience. OxygenOS 10 was a perfect balance of a clean AOSP build with useful customizations. For those that are curious, it is possible to uninstall the Software Update feature to remain on the last Android 10 build.
Does that include custom ROMS? I run AICP which is Android 11 and it runs super smooth with great battery saving capabilities.

paq1170

Jun 12, 2015
Abuja
Xiaomi Mi Note 10
I went back to OOS10 through msm tools, and I now understand why people hate oos11 so much. 10 is better in many ways; battery life, dark mode, smoother... I will be remaining here until oos12 is released.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I've not tried a custom ROM as they don't work well with Verizon.
    Can you suggest a kernel for a10?
    Smurf or Radioactive

I always stuck with stock and still do.

Lower you peak CPU speed on each cluster and your minimum on the small cluster to 300.

Then disable zRAM, thats a massive performance boost, just be sure to close apps after as you'll max out your RAM if you're not careful