OnePlus 8 T-Mobile Repair Nightmare

rzracer2

Feb 9, 2012
Figured I share my repair experience here as OnePlus has set a new low in my book for customer service. Started when I sent my device (unlocked by T-Mobile) for repair last month. I was given the option of repair or replacement but chose repair so I wouldn't have to unlock again. I received it back about a week later but with no documentation as what the repair was (found out through my calles it was a motherboard replacement. I did notice the SN was the same but the IMEI was different. Used it for 3 days and called T-Mobile to have it unlocked but their system now sees my device as a non-T-Mobile phone and they can't unlock it (and they have tried 4 times since Sept 25th). Over the past few weeks I have conferenced on T-Mobile support with OnePlus support in an attempt to get it unlocked and every time I call it's like starting from scratch with OnePlus. Four times now I've been told to wait 24-48 hours so they can hear back from there repair facility, I've made 14 total calls to check status (they have never called me back once). T-Mobile has been absolutely great and were on the phone with OnePlus with me for over an hour. So for know unless a miracle happens I'm stuck with a phone that can't be network unlocked by any carrier. Looks like the repair facility perhaps used a standard motherboard and flashed the T-Mobile firmware on it from what I can determine. If you need service for a T-Mobile device ALWAYS choose a replacement if you have the option)

Last edited:

Scott

Retired Recognized Developer
Feb 20, 2007
Fargo
www.scottcrosler.com
Rule #1: Never ever choose repair when replace is an option. XDA is rife with people complaining about repair issues with every phone manufacturer. But I think you know that now. Also, I would hardly fault OnePlus in this situation. Its a simple issue of the IMEI not being in the T-Mobile database. Thats not OnePlus' fault. Thats a T-Mobile issue. IT can be added to there database. Verizon does this but for a completely different reason. But ultimately fault is in the eye of the beholder.

Also, to further support my claim think of it this way... T-Mobile (and Verizon) request the bootloader / SIM lock. If you buy the non carrier version from One Plus this would be a mute point. Again, a T-Mobile issue, not OnePlus. If you really want to get technical fault the US Congress for allowing them to lock in the first place. Ok Ok... Way off on a tangent...

Now... Some questions for you...
  • Have you ran the IMEI against an IMEI check database to see what kind of device it returns as? I would be curious to see. Another way to find out if its a T-Mobile device is to check the IMEI against your last phone. If the first few digits are the same or different will support your claim of the device being different.
  • Have you tried to tried to toggle the bootloader unlock switch or is it gray'ed out?
  • Have you tried popping in another carriers SIM just for giggles?
  • Lastly, have you tried to unlock it yourself by using the built in unlock program in network settings?

If that fails you may want to consider sending it back to OnePlus again for replacement. I can only assume that you do not have insurance? If you do then you may want to check with them about replacement faulting the IMEI as the issue. Might be a hard sell but I'm sure it could be done.

Last edited:

GrandMstrBud

Jan 30, 2007
Rule #1: Never ever choose repair when replace is an option. XDA is rife with people complaining about repair issues with every phone manufacturer. But I think you know that now. Also, I would hardly fault OnePlus in this situation. Its a simple issue of the IMEI not being in the T-Mobile database. Thats not OnePlus' fault. Thats a T-Mobile issue. IT can be added to there database. Verizon does this but for a completely different reason. But ultimately fault is in the eye of the beholder.

Also, to further support my claim think of it this way... T-Mobile (and Verizon) request the bootloader / SIM lock. If you buy the non carrier version from One Plus this would be a mute point. Again, a T-Mobile issue, not OnePlus. If you really want to get technical fault the US Congress for allowing them to lock in the first place. Ok Ok... Way off on a tangent...

Now... Some questions for you...
  • Have you ran the IMEI against an IMEI check database to see what kind of device it returns as? I would be curious to see. Another way to find out if its a T-Mobile device is to check the IMEI against your last phone. If the first few digits are the same or different will support your claim of the device being different.
  • Have you tried to tried to toggle the bootloader unlock switch or is it gray'ed out?
  • Have you tried popping in another carriers SIM just for giggles?
  • Lastly, have you tried to unlock it yourself by using the built in unlock program in network settings?

If that fails you may want to consider sending it back to OnePlus again for replacement. I can only assume that you do not have insurance? If you do then you may want to check with them about replacement faulting the IMEI as the issue. Might be a hard sell but I'm sure it could be done.
Same situation here, mine was unlocked did a replacement and it was locked and T-Mobile has no record of it. It took me 17 days to get the replacement and every day I checked the status I get told wait 24-48 hours. Now after I got it I'm told every day to wait 3-5 days for an update. Really one plus?