• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Oneplus 8t Camera Focus Problem

Search This thread

pirate1122

Apr 9, 2017
Hi, for the most part I love this phone. My biggest issue is the camera focusing. When I turn/slant the phone, everything works well but when I keep it straight it is not focusing all the way.

Please view photos to see what I Mean.

Attachments

• IMG_20210804_121917.jpg
    IMG_20210804_121917.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 36
  • IMG_20210804_121923.jpg
    IMG_20210804_121923.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 35
Last edited:

ULTRAJC

Feb 2, 2021
Try focus on something else with complex surface, i think your camera is fine.

English not my first language, hope i describe it right:

IMX586 doesn't have "cross PDAF", so when you shoting subject only have one direction straight line pattern and low contrast, went the pattern line up with PDAF separation direction the camera will struggle to focus or fail to focus.
when you tilt a little, now the AF pixels can detect image have separation and do the focusing.
This phenomenon also very common in older mirrorless digital cameras.

pirate1122

Apr 9, 2017
Try focus on something else with complex surface, i think your camera is fine.

English not my first language, hope i describe it right:

IMX586 doesn't have "cross PDAF", so when you shoting subject only have one direction straight line pattern and low contrast, went the pattern line up with PDAF separation direction the camera will struggle to focus or fail to focus.
when you tilt a little, now the AF pixels can detect image have separation and do the focusing.
This phenomenon also very common in older mirrorless digital cameras.

Sorry for the late response but thank you. I really appreciate it and your answer makes a lot of sense.