Oneplus 8T (Cyberpunk Edition) - HydrogenOS (Google Apps, Theme, OTA Updates!)

Steve0007

Inactive Recognized Developer / Retired Forum Mode
May 10, 2009
Paris
I'll just leave the root and bootloader unlocked, I don't want phone to be wiped if I lock it back up. I do get a firmware update to 11.0.6.8 but it wont download and keep giving me error, had a quick check online and the OTA for that global version isnt out yet. I think the HOS cust.img is 11.0.6.8 so maybe that's why it's telling me there's an update?
Since you are with AA, there isn't a full OTA for AA yet. Only an incremental OTA is available for now. Since you are rooted incremental cannot install. Only way would be to uninstall magisk, update incremental. Get the boot.img once incremented, patch it and install it thru fastboot.

Qnorsten

Mar 14, 2012
I'll just leave the root and bootloader unlocked, I don't want phone to be wiped if I lock it back up. I do get a firmware update to 11.0.6.8 but it wont download and keep giving me error, had a quick check online and the OTA for that global version isnt out yet. I think the HOS cust.img is 11.0.6.8 so maybe that's why it's telling me there's an update?
The OTA for global version 11.0.6.8 is out, but only the incremental OTA not the full. As global use googles own OTA servers and these servers do n ot provide full OTA for every update just the major ones. So you will have to wait untill Oneplus post the full rom on their website, which they apparently are very slow to do, if they do it at all. While EU and IN use oneplus own OTA server and get full OTA each time.

Unless you really want to keep global for some reason, I would suggest to convert to the EU version. Which get full OTA each time.

Or you need to do as @Steve0007 posted in the post above mine and remove root and then install incremental update.

Crushader

Feb 17, 2009
Melbourne
The OTA for global version 11.0.6.8 is out, but only the incremental OTA not the full. As global use googles own OTA servers and these servers do n ot provide full OTA for every update just the major ones. So you will have to wait untill Oneplus post the full rom on their website, which they apparently are very slow to do, if they do it at all. While EU and IN use oneplus own OTA server and get full OTA each time.

Unless you really want to keep global for some reason, I would suggest to convert to the EU version. Which get full OTA each time.

Or you need to do as @Steve0007 posted in the post above mine and remove root and then install incremental update.

Ohh that's why! Thanks for the tips, I'll swap to EU then, I just grabbed global one assuming they all function the same.

Qnorsten

Mar 14, 2012
Ohh that's why! Thanks for the tips, I'll swap to EU then, I just grabbed global one assuming they all function the same.
Yes it is a bit confusing why they have decided to go this route with the Global rom, and use a different OTA server provider.

I have only used the EU and global rom myself, but I don't think there is a huge difference in functionality between them, except some EU privacy rules things. Indian version come with some extra bundled indian software I think. But they should mostly be the same, and EU or indian will make it much easier to update in the future.

Just download full OTA rom, flash it and then open magisk manager and install magisk to inactive slot before rebooting.

Crushader

Feb 17, 2009
Melbourne
Yes it is a bit confusing why they have decided to go this route with the Global rom, and use a different OTA server provider.

I have only used the EU and global rom myself, but I don't think there is a huge difference in functionality between them, except some EU privacy rules things. Indian version come with some extra bundled indian software I think. But they should mostly be the same, and EU or indian will make it much easier to update in the future.

Just download full OTA rom, flash it and then open magisk manager and install magisk to inactive slot before rebooting.
Yup I'm now on EU rom and fully up to date with 11.0.6.9 with everything working 🎆

Qnorsten

Mar 14, 2012
Hi guys,

I have a OnePlus 8T global (EU - KB2003) running on OxygenOS (latest version), can I flash hydrogenOS on it like if it was a KB2000 ?

Thanks.
As far as I know you should just be able to flash a newer version full HOS OTA package over it to convert it to hydrogen os.

Why do you want to do that though? What are your reason for wanting to use HOS over OOS?

Reactions: M4TH1EU_

M4TH1EU_

Aug 25, 2020
github.com
As far as I know you should just be able to flash a newer version full HOS OTA package over it to convert it to hydrogen os.

Why do you want to do that though? What are your reason for wanting to use HOS over OOS?
Hi, thanks for you answer, I'm trying to de-google my phone and having a phone without any google app from the start is much easier than having to remove each google app one by one.
In HydrogenOS only a few bloatwares and Voilà.

Have a nice day.

HAK Devil

Oct 20, 2009
Mississauga
I apologize if this has been answered already but I have the KB 2001 regular OnePlus 8T and I just wanna be able to have the cyberpunk goodies on the phone (theme etc). If I wanted that am I able to just install Hydrogen OS on it and get that or is there some other process I must follow? I've been trying to get a clear answer for this by searching but nothing seems to be coming up. Thanks for your help

Wesley_NL

Nov 10, 2010
Rotterdam
so uhm, i dont quite follow this thread ,
but i am on hydrogen os, latests version, but my bank app is not working with the nfc of this os ,
and i don't want to lose the cyberpunk theme to go to oos with msm
is there a way to slove that without any complicated things?

otonieru

May 7, 2011
Djakarta
so uhm, i dont quite follow this thread ,
but i am on hydrogen os, latests version, but my bank app is not working with the nfc of this os ,
and i don't want to lose the cyberpunk theme to go to oos with msm
is there a way to slove that without any complicated things?
Use magisk, and make sure your device passed safetynet and listed as certified.

Only downside is your Widevine will dropped to L3

am on Original cyberpunk KB2000 as well, and all banking app works fine.

skydoy

Sep 4, 2009
Leiria
hI i´m no able to get european rom on my unit, i just get bootloop on update via ota to EU OnePlus8TOxygen_15.O.21_GLO_0215_2101010247

i dont want to lose cyberpunk goodies and i need the european or global rom for my bank app.

can anyone help me where should i go to do it or a walk-through to follow?

Arr6

Aug 24, 2020
hI i´m no able to get european rom on my unit, i just get bootloop on update via ota to EU OnePlus8TOxygen_15.O.21_GLO_0215_2101010247

i dont want to lose cyberpunk goodies and i need the european or global rom for my bank app.

can anyone help me where should i go to do it or a walk-through to follow?
There does not seem to be a solid solution to run OOS on these phones. I have been using HOS and it is stable for what it is.

gee.dunkin

Jan 6, 2015
Melbourne
Hi there, I am hoping someone may have some advice for me regarding this device. I have just purchased one and it has come with Hydrogen OS 11.0.6.8.KB05 as well as Google Playstore already installed which I have logged into and appears to work fine. I had planned on following this guide as I have no problem with installing roms/root etc however it already has google services and the cyberpunk theme. I am wanting to get rid of all the Chinese apps that are installed. Would the easiest way be to root then uninstall the apps I don't want or just basically follow this guide from scratch and start over? Thanks in advance, I haven't really been on XDA since OnePlus 3T which is still going strong btw so i'm a bit behind the times with this stuff. Cheers!!

Arr6

Aug 24, 2020
In the guide there is a section on removing bloatware. There is a script you can run to remove the Chinese and other apps through adb.

Arr6

Aug 24, 2020
Thank you for your reply, I would assume that would require root access? I'll go through the guide and have a look.
Im pretty sure I was unrooted. After going the Magisk route, I went back to stock, and locked everything back up, then ran the script to remove the extra apps.

Reactions: gee.dunkin

gee.dunkin

Jan 6, 2015
Melbourne
Im pretty sure I was unrooted. After going the Magisk route, I went back to stock, and locked everything back up, then ran the script to remove the extra apps.
Thanks, I'll give it a go without root and see what happens. I'll update here once I've done it to let others know. 👍