• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[OnePlus 8T][ROM][OTA][Oxygen OS] Repo of Oxygen OS Builds

Search This thread
Hmmm ... Stock boot+recovery is already checked (plus disabled encryption for insurance) so no problems there.
im quite familiar with a read-only partion sadly . and by "blockdev" you mean a simple"--setrw" from shell i presume . i guess having a hassle free device like a pixel for a long time , makes you a bit lazy and cousy :) ill have to dig deep into this . thanks mate.
------
EDIT : by any chance , is the OTA from inside the OOS region or geo locked ? is it possible that my isp blocked it somehow ?
OTA for AA/Unlocked/Global devices are handled by Google servers sadly

Reactions: dlb4all

Fif_

Jun 5, 2013
Google Nexus 10
Google Nexus 4
I was successful updating to 11.0.11.11 on a US OP8T, without losing root, using the full zip in the OP.
  1. Unzip firmware update zip.
  2. Use a payload dumper to extract the boot image from payload.bin.
  3. Copy vanilla boot image to the phone.
  4. Use Magisk to patch the boot image.
  5. Copy the patched boot image to a computer.
  6. Apply the system update (no need to unroot first)
  7. Reboot to bootloader
  8. Connect computer to phone.
  9. Use "fastboot boot" to boot the patched boot image from step 5.
  10. Use Magisk's direct install option to patch boot in the phone.
  11. Reboot
You never lose root along the way.

Ryano89

May 6, 2011
Indiana
OnePlus 6T
OnePlus 8T
I was successful updating to 11.0.11.11 on a US OP8T, without losing root, using the full zip in the OP.
  1. Unzip firmware update zip.
  2. Use a payload dumper to extract the boot image from payload.bin.
  3. Copy vanilla boot image to the phone.
  4. Use Magisk to patch the boot image.
  5. Copy the patched boot image to a computer.
  6. Apply the system update (no need to unroot first)
  7. Reboot to bootloader
  8. Connect computer to phone.
  9. Use "fastboot boot" to boot the patched boot image from step 5.
  10. Use Magisk's direct install option to patch boot in the phone.
  11. Reboot
You never lose root along the way.
Why not just flash via local update, install magisk to inactive slot, reboot? Works for me every time

Reactions: geminium

BillGoss

Sep 2, 2010
Sydney
OnePlus 3T
OnePlus 8T
Reactions: Fif_

haitower

Jun 27, 2017
I'm Magisk rooted and I have TWRP installed on my 8T EU model.

The OnePlus updater app registers that I am rooted and wants to download the full OTA.

Can someone please provide detailed update instructions so that I don't lose root?

Does the following way work?
1. Let the system download and install full OTA
2. Install TWRP A/B Retention Script
3. Install Magisk to inactive slot and reboot
=> Done!?

Do I have to unroot?
Do I have to install some boot image or do some payload dumper stuff?

BillGoss

Sep 2, 2010
Sydney
OnePlus 3T
OnePlus 8T
I'm Magisk rooted and I have TWRP installed on my 8T EU model.

The OnePlus updater app registers that I am rooted and wants to download the full OTA.

Can someone please provide detailed update instructions so that I don't lose root?

Does the following way work?
1. Let the system download and install full OTA
2. Install TWRP A/B Retention Script
3. Install Magisk to inactive slot and reboot
=> Done!?

Do I have to unroot?
Do I have to install some boot image or do some payload dumper stuff?
What you suggested should be fine. A full install will overwrite the modified boot and recovery partitions.
Just make sure you reboot from Magisk when it prompts you, not the power menu.

Reactions: haitower

haitower

Jun 27, 2017
What you suggested should be fine. A full install will overwrite the modified boot and recovery partitions.
Just make sure you reboot from Magisk when it prompts you, not the power menu.
Thank you so much, you don't believe how much stress that takes away hearing this from you! <3

So I just have to reinstall TWRP and I'm back to where I am right now?

And should I remove password and fingerprints before?

BillGoss

Sep 2, 2010
Sydney
OnePlus 3T
OnePlus 8T
Thank you so much, you don't believe how much stress that takes away hearing this from you! <3

So I just have to reinstall TWRP and I'm back to where I am right now?

And should I remove password and fingerprints before?
Don't confuse rooting/keeping root with restoring TWRP backups (which requires removing password).
I see from the other thread your replied to that you're up and running again.

Reactions: haitower
Hi, my brand new 8T is KB2003 (European model), but has 11.0.11.11.KB05AA (global rom) installed. I live in the UK so I'm planning to flash a BA (European) rom. From what I've learnt, I can install a BA rom on my AA rom as long as the new rom has a higher version number. I'm hoping to flash the fastboot full BA zip on TWRP when the next update comes out. Does my plan sound feasible? Actually the AA rom seems to be functioning OK, but I am just being too particular (for the sake of it, maybe). Any insight would be much appreciated!

neopbm

Jan 5, 2006
OnePlus 8T
Hi, my brand new 8T is KB2003 (European model), but has 11.0.11.11.KB05AA (global rom) installed. I live in the UK so I'm planning to flash a BA (European) rom. From what I've learnt, I can install a BA rom on my AA rom as long as the new rom has a higher version number. I'm hoping to flash the fastboot full BA zip on TWRP when the next update comes out. Does my plan sound feasible? Actually the AA rom seems to be functioning OK, but I am just being too particular (for the sake of it, maybe). Any insight would be much appreciated!
If you use the full rom to upgrade you dont even need TWRP to switch from AA to BA rom.
You can dl the full zip on your mobile and apply it with your phone : Settings, system, update, local update (or something close, my system is French so...). As long as you use a full zip rom newer than your os version you should be fine.

Reactions: remedya and UmiCat

Top Liked Posts