Question Oneplus 9 No Gmail Notifications Unless I Open the App

Search This thread

ph0bolus

Mar 1, 2017
Hi,

So i just upgraded from the oneplus 7 pro, and have been having this issue since I upgraded about 2 months ago. My Gmail app will not show any new mail notifications until I open the app or manually refresh for mail not on the gmail server.

I've tried all the troubleshooting tips one does when someone has this problem, minus uninstalling/reinstalling gmail, and still nothing.

Here are some of my settings inside and outside of gmail, and my power saving settings for the phone.

Screenshot_20211116-113718.jpgScreenshot_20211116-113607.jpgScreenshot_20211116-113634.jpgScreenshot_20211116-113619.jpgScreenshot_20211116-113646.jpg

It says I'm getting notifications throughout the day, but that's only when I manually go to the app and get them. I used to get push notifications as soon as I get an email on Gmail, and every hour on my yahoo acocunt, now that's nonexistent.

Does anyone have any idea what else I can change to finally get notifications working correctly? TIA!

mx597turbo

Jun 24, 2009
Samsung Galaxy S20
OnePlus 9
I am having the exact same issue with my OP9. Not sure the cause, but I just switched to outlook. Now every notification comes through. My job uses exchange, so now I just have one email and calendar app for work and personal.

After several days use, I prefer outlook to Gmail/Google calendar.

ph0bolus

Mar 1, 2017
I am having the exact same issue with my OP9. Not sure the cause, but I just switched to outlook. Now every notification comes through. My job uses exchange, so now I just have one email and calendar app for work and personal.

After several days use, I prefer outlook to Gmail/Google calendar.
Hmm..that's weird. I guess outlook it is then. Thanks, at least i know I didn't miss anything.

ACEBILBO-I

Aug 31, 2014
I had the same issue, other than deleting all Gmail's app data and setting the battery mode to non optimized for the app, what fixed it for me was going to
Settings>Apps and notifications>Special access for apps>Adaptive notifications>None
I do not claim credit for this solution, I found it on Reddit after hours of searching and unless it was something else that I changed I believe it was this that fixed it

VadaPav

Jan 14, 2015
Mumbai
I had the same problem. As a workaround I put a gmail widget on my homescreen so that the apps stays alive and syncs whenever I unlock. It's working great for now. Hope this gets fixed soon.

EtherealRemnant

Sep 15, 2007
Denver, CO
Google Pixel 7 Pro
I think the latest update to OOS 12 fixes the GMAIL notification problem. Mine has been working since I updated about a week ago.
Is it still working?

I just got this thing yesterday and if I can't get Gmail and Calendar notifications it is going to go back because they worked fine on my Pixel 3 XL and I shouldn't have to switch apps when they always worked fine before.

I cleared the app data, disabled battery optimization, turned off adaptive notifications. I'm running out of ideas.

Everything has been mostly fine with this thing so far except the notifications.

indiana99

Aug 1, 2007
Wichita
OnePlus 7 Pro
OnePlus 9
Is it still working?

I just got this thing yesterday and if I can't get Gmail and Calendar notifications it is going to go back because they worked fine on my Pixel 3 XL and I shouldn't have to switch apps when they always worked fine before.

I cleared the app data, disabled battery optimization, turned off adaptive notifications. I'm running out of ideas.

Everything has been mostly fine with this thing so far except the notifications.

Yes. It has been over two weeks.