• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Question OnePlus 9 PRO or Samsung S21 Plus

Which should I pick

• OnePlus 9 PRO 12GB|256GB

Votes: 30 81.1%
  • Samsung S21 Plus 8GB|256GB

Votes: 7 18.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Search This thread

inegru87

Nov 29, 2021
Trying to decide which device to get to replace my current OnePlus 5T(4 years old) which is getting a little too old for day2day usage.

After some intensive research I've ended up with 2 models: OnePlus 9 PRO 12GB|256GB and Samsung S21 Plus 8GB|256GB.
They all have their Pro's & Con's but in the end they score the same for me and I'm having a little hard time to decide between them.

Main things that I would like from a new smartphone in this price area (high-end):
  • Very good CPU (to be able to keep up with software in the next few years)
  • Storage bigger than 128 (it is OK, but I need to clean up and backup in cloud all the time)
  • Slim device - Do not like very thick devices ( ~8mm is ok)
  • Display size 6.7" - I want to try a bigger display this time (will return if I cannot get used to it and look for something more compact in that case Samsung S21 standard or Asus Zenfone 8.
  • Good display quality & 120Hz, preferably auto-adjustable
  • At least 8GB of RAM, current device has 8GB and didn't had any issues so far with memory
  • Connectivity to be top of 2021: Wifi 6, BT 5, 5GB, etc.
  • Good battery life - I would expect something similar to current device and not to have battery anxiety
  • Fast Charge if possible - but depends on battery (if battery is good this is not a must)
  • Camera/Video - moderate expectations, but to still be relevant to the price range
  • Good software support - for at least 3 years
  • Good OS without bloatware or things that cannot be removed/cleaned
  • Prefer unlocked, although I've always used Orange.
Could be more, but these are most important I think.
I plan to keep the device for at least 3 years.
Both are priced the same in my country, ~800 Euro.

Which one do you recommend? If possible why?

Last edited:
Reactions: galaxys

focus-pocus

Jun 10, 2015
Los Angeles
Oneplus is not the same anymore. I bought my 9 pro on sale recently, and I am extremely disappointed. Build and hardware are solid, but software is absolute crap, full of obvious bugs, that are not being fixed for a long time already. Battery life is bad, I'm getting like 6 hours SOT.

Also, Samsung has released Android 12 for S21 already.

null0seven

Oct 1, 2013
Iasi
9 Pro 100%.
Almost none Bloatware. Samsung is FUll of it.
9 Pro Anndroid 12 Open Beta 1 & 2 works Fine.
On 9 Pro you can install Global Color Os Android 12 stable. Also works very well & have more option that Oxygen OS.
On 9 Pro you can unlock botloader, you can root.
I've owned 2 Samsung, Nothing on XDA for Global-Snapdragon, but full for Korea-Exynos.
xPan mode for camera on 9 Pro is absolut Great.
I use european 9 Pro.

Reactions: galaxys

inegru87

Nov 29, 2021
Thank you for sharing your thoughts and recommending a device.

Not sure that I want to manually install the Color OS 12 (Not that much of a fan).
If we are talking about software, from what I saw in the reviews One UI 4 seems a lot better and has more support from Samsung than ever.
This cannot be said for the OnePlus with their Oxygen OS 12. One of the main reasons I liked OnePlus devices was for their simplicity and their resemblance with Android Vanilla. I know I don't get this with Samsung also, but their directions seems a lot more clearer than what OnePlus is doing. Very unsure what Oppo impact will be on OnePlus in the future.

I'm more inclined for Samsung at this moment. I've even had the chance to go to a store and test an S21+ device directly. Seems really nice & I like that the overall size of the device is similar to my OnePlus 5T, although the display is bigger. From Specs OnePlus is a little bigger & thicker.

null0seven

Oct 1, 2013
Iasi
Better hold your money a little and buy Note 22 Ultra.
Oxygen Os is getting worse because google creap!
Is very simple to flash Color OS. You just do an upgrade from stable 11.2.8.8 or Open beta 1 or 2.
I've own Samsung note 10+ 5g, with SnapDragon cip.. Best looking phone ever! But slow software. Too Much Bloatware. OnePlus 8 Pro flies compared to 10+ 5g.
Samsung 20+ 5g , with SnapDragon cip. Phone was fast, but battery drain Super Mega Fast. I sold it after a week...
I Never buy a Samsuung with Exynos cip !!!

Also, some phones with SnapDragon 888 may or not have heating problem .

inegru87

Nov 29, 2021
Better hold your money a little and buy Note 22 Ultra.
Oxygen Os is getting worse because google creap!
Is very simple to flash Color OS. You just do an upgrade from stable 11.2.8.8 or Open beta 1 or 2.
I've own Samsung note 10+ 5g, with SnapDragon cip.. Best looking phone ever! But slow software. Too Much Bloatware. OnePlus 8 Pro flies compared to 10+ 5g.
Samsung 20+ 5g , with SnapDragon cip. Phone was fast, but battery drain Super Mega Fast. I sold it after a week...
I Never buy a Samsuung with Exynos cip !!!

Also, some phones with SnapDragon 888 may or not have heating problem .
I think the S21+ with OneUi should be a lot better than what Samsung had for software in the past.
I was a little worried about the new Exynos chipset, but from the reviews & synthetic tests it seems to be much better than previous generations and almost the same as SS (not sure in daily usage would see a difference). In my local market I cannot get an S21+ with SS and have legal warranty and for a phone this expensive I do not want to risk it and end up with a device with defects.

At this price point honestly I do not want to pay solely for hardware as if this was the case I would have gotten a cheaper Android device (Realme GT for example) and flash a custom rom on it.

I think I will give S21+ a try and get it from a local vendor (having it even lower than the OP 9 Pro) where I can return it in 14 days. In those days I can clearly see if the device has any issues and maybe even try out the new OneUI 4.

three west

Dec 28, 2009
Madison, WI
I think that's a wise decision. The OnePlus 9 PRO is my first OnePlus device, and I think it will be my last. Apparently I'm too late to the game and missed the golden era.

m0d hipp¥

Sep 27, 2006
A lot of mixed reviews. I used to own Samsung a long time ago, but HATED the fact that they had sooo much bloatware on the phone and if you'll be spending that kind of money they also made it very difficult to root and be able to do what you want on it. The perks of Oneplus is you basically get a vanilla Android OS with little to no bloatware, it's solid hardware, and they actually support modding it. Rooting it is pretty straight forward. I purchased my OP9 Pro for a really good deal ($650) and I have the Global version LE2125. I honestly have no problems with it. I'm running the stock Oxygen OS 11.2.8.8.LE15AA and I use the Omega Kernel 5.4.6.1. I don't play any games on it, but I do use it regularly for texting, internet, social media, phone calls, pictures (typical stuff) and I get over a day of use on it.

Reactions: Anonymous Vagrant

null0seven

Oct 1, 2013
Iasi
Don't forget charging !
Oneplus - 65w wired - 50w wireless. I use only wireless charging.
Samsung - hahaha...

IamTheBRAVE

In case anyone is interested, here's a review of oneplus 9 pro by gsmarena that i found today. Looks thorough enough. The battery life part is interesting.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211202-113654237.jpg
    Screenshot_20211202-113654237.jpg
    579.8 KB · Views: 50

inegru87

Nov 29, 2021
Thank you for all the pro's & con's for each device.

Indeed, current software is still good, although Oxygen OS 11 is not what it used to be and it doesn't feel as smooth as Oxygen 10 does. The change in Oxygen 12 will be basically a change to ColorOS which I don't think will ever be the same for OP. And I'm afraid OnePlus will be worse with each iteration as it will get closer & closer to Oppo & ColorOS (which is not bad, but for entry/mid-range phones, I think).
Samsung does not have that much bloatware on their latest devices and OneUI 4 seems to be much smoother & with better support.

Honestly, if OP didn't had this software change and if it didn't get that bad with their software support I would have went for the OP without any hesitation.

Regarding rooting, I would prefer not to be forced to do this for high-end phones. It would be nice to be able to do it, but that is a different approach. From what I saw S21 can have it's bootloader unlocked and the process is not difficult.

I usually root my phones only after the warranty expires & if the software gets outdate (no more support or it slows down too much).

inegru87

Nov 29, 2021
Received the S21+ today and will see how it feels the following days.
OnePlus 9 Pro increased the price and it is now above 1000 Euro. At that price it is not a good option, it should be around 800 Euro for a good value in my opinion.
If I'm not 100% happy and the price for OP gets lower again I will buy it and return Samsung device.
But will see how things go these days, I have 14 days to return it if I'm not happy with it.

Samsung -> KNOX <- Thats the killer if you want root

I would never buy a Samsung. I never bought a Samsung since they use KNOX.

I have no Problem with my OP9 Pro. So many write about "bugs" but I never had one. All my messengers (WA, Telegram, Signal and Threema) work fine. Calls over VoLTE work fine, WiFi Speed is good. System with Bluspark Kernel work very well - ~8-9h SOT.

Reactions: null0seven

inegru87

Nov 29, 2021
Samsung -> KNOX <- Thats the killer if you want root

I would never buy a Samsung. I never bought a Samsung since they use KNOX.

I have no Problem with my OP9 Pro. So many write about "bugs" but I never had one. All my messengers (WA, Telegram, Signal and Threema) work fine. Calls over VoLTE work fine, WiFi Speed is good. System with Bluspark Kernel work very well - ~8-9h SOT.
Thank you for your thoughts on this device. I'm glad that it works good and you don't have issues with it.
Sadly, the fact that others have, only suggests there is some core issues with how the devices are assembled/configured and there is a high change it would have issues.
You get very good SOT, might I ask what apps you have and what is your usual usage of the phone(browsing, social, video, gaming)?
Did you try the new Oxygen OS 12 ? This is one of the biggest concerns I have as even OP fans have complaint about this.

Reactions: IamTheBRAVE
You get very good SOT, might I ask what apps you have and what is your usual usage of the phone(browsing, social, video, gaming)?
Did you try the new Oxygen OS 12 ? This is one of the biggest concerns I have as even OP fans have complaint about this.
First, I dont play any games. I have a PC for gaming ;) I dont use any social media BS like Facebook aka "Meta" (what a joke) or insta or twitter. I watch some YT videos and use a lot FireFox for browsing, but no heavy stuff which afford a lot of CPU power.

OOS is ATM not a option. Its still in a beta state, and I don't really need A12 - like I dont need Windows 11 in this state. The Phone is not bad or unusable with A11.

Reactions: null0seven

inegru87

Nov 29, 2021
Also,
Now I have to consider the price difference: 770 Euro for Samsung S21+ vs 870 Euro for OnePlus 9 Pro, as the prices seem to have went up after Black Friday sales.

inegru87

Nov 29, 2021
First, I dont play any games. I have a PC for gaming ;) I dont use any social media BS like Facebook aka "Meta" (what a joke) or insta or twitter. I watch some YT videos and use a lot FireFox for browsing, but no heavy stuff which afford a lot of CPU power.

OOS is ATM not a option. Its still in a beta state, and I don't really need A12 - like I dont need Windows 11 in this state. The Phone is not bad or unusable with A11.
I see, thank you for your detailed answer.

IamTheBRAVE

Thank you for your thoughts on this device. I'm glad that it works good and you don't have issues with it.
Sadly, the fact that others have, only suggests there is some core issues with how the devices are assembled/configured and there is a high change it would have issues.
This is true sadly. I've had problems with warp charge not working and others have had different problems too. And others no problem at all.
Also OOS is really an average OS overall. Nothing to write home about. But custom roms are available (A11) which make it a decent device. Just not the flagship it was suppose to be...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is my personal opinion.

I used all Samsung Galaxy S series up to 8+ and gave it away (not sold) and decided not to buy Samsung or ever use their phones again except tablets .
    All what they want is control, even though you've bought and paid for it, they still thinks it's their property, always making it harder for the end user.
    I would say the OnePlus 9 Pro is better than the S21 because the main reason is the price difference and the specs are somewhat the same on both phones.
    Also, no issues with this high performance OnePlus 9 Pro!
    I have had zero issues with my 9 Pro and would definitely not trade for any S21 variant.
    9 Pro 100%.
    Almost none Bloatware. Samsung is FUll of it.
    9 Pro Anndroid 12 Open Beta 1 & 2 works Fine.
    On 9 Pro you can install Global Color Os Android 12 stable. Also works very well & have more option that Oxygen OS.
    On 9 Pro you can unlock botloader, you can root.
    I've owned 2 Samsung, Nothing on XDA for Global-Snapdragon, but full for Korea-Exynos.
    xPan mode for camera on 9 Pro is absolut Great.
    I use european 9 Pro.