• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Question OnePlus 9 PRO or Samsung S21 Plus

Which should I pick

• OnePlus 9 PRO 12GB|256GB

Votes: 30 81.1%
  • Samsung S21 Plus 8GB|256GB

Votes: 7 18.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Search This thread

VoidedKN0X

Jan 2, 2019
Rumbeke
OnePlus 9 Pro
Google Pixel 6
I've had a S21 Ultra dor half a year and i was a mediocre device for the price, battery life was awesome ans the camera was sublime... Last week i sold it and bought the base model of the oneplus 9 pro, i must say it's refreshing after 6 years of using samsung if not longer... I'm very happy with the device but the software isn't that great, it feels much much faster and looks a bit more like stock. I can't complain about battery life and camera is almost on par. But if you go with the oneplus 9 pro i'd advice getting into custom roms (S21 Ultra has about 2 updated custom roms wich are running oneui) because there's tons of choice and of course less buggy than stock (depends on what you choose and what you install)

Reactions: null0seven

Geoz

Nov 22, 2012
This is my personal opinion.

I used all Samsung Galaxy S series up to 8+ and gave it away (not sold) and decided not to buy Samsung or ever use their phones again except tablets .
All what they want is control, even though you've bought and paid for it, they still thinks it's their property, always making it harder for the end user.

m0d hipp¥

Sep 27, 2006
inegru87, since you ended up getting your S21+ what has your personal experience been of the phone so far?
Also you mentioned that from what you looked at the bootloader is fairly easy to unlock. If this is the case then that's great to hear, but I thought Samsung still uses/enforces KNOX on their devices so I'm not sure how unlocking the bootloader would be easy? Then again I've been away from Samsung for a while so maybe stuff changed, but I'm just curious.

I'd like to add that maybe they don't have a lot of bloatware "to the naked eye", but I still feel like they have a lot of stuff running in the background.

When I had my samsung 8 it was very sluggish and I remember I had a lot of trouble uninstalling/disabling apps from the phone. I had to use a special script that someone wrote to export a list of all the apps/services the phone was running in the background and I recall it being over 350 apps/services. I think I was only able to cut down like 50-60. Anyway, I'm interested to hear your experience.

inegru87

Nov 29, 2021
Hello,

After having the device for a few days now I can share my opinion about this.

What I like:

• The Display -> very nice display with vibrant colors, smooth touches and body ratio. I really like the 120Hz refresh rate also. The adaptive rate could be just a gimmick as it goes down to 60 when static (this is for a very short time as I set the display to turn off very fast) & sometimes in some videos (doesn't always work) and in some other isolated scenarios.
  • The OneUI 4 -> When I got the device it was delivered with OneUI 3.1, but it immediately could be updated to the new version which I did. This is subjective, but I really like the new OS Samsung offers. It seems mature & I didn't encounter any issues until now. I really like the customization level offered and the small samsung flavor features.
  • The Camera -> I really like the images & videos taken with this device. The quality is very high and the level of customization is really nice although a little overwhelming at first.
  • The Battery -> This is definitely a plus for this device, especially when compared with others in his price-range. I get a full day for this device with charging blocked at 85%. SOT is ~3h with an average of 70% daily usage of the battery.
  • The Charge -> I didn't use a Super Fast Charge thus I cannot really tell how fast it charges (I plan on buying one though). I found a Samsung charger, the can do Fast Charge and it takes ~1h to charge from 10%-15% until 85%.
  • The Performance -> I am not a heavy mobile user, but the device performed great until now. Everything was smooth between app transition, loading times were very slow and I didn't see any freezing times. All applications run very fast, of course this depends on the app itself optimization, but the device seems to be able to take whatever you throw at it. Initially I was skeptical about the 8GB of RAM, but it seems the device handles memory very well and I didn't notice apps closing and waking from sleep was very fast.
  • The Body Quality -> I really like the materials used for this device, they seem premium indeed. You don't have a great grip, being a big device also, but that is another topic.
  • The Updates -> I really like that Samsung steeped up their game for software updates, being between the firsts (if not the first) to release a stable OS update. Their promise for 3 years of major OS updates and 4 years of Security updates makes it even more appealing.
  • The Price -> This also depends on regions and offers, but I would still put it as a plus. I got the device at a very good price (for my region), 770 Euro.

What I DON'T like:
  • Finger Print scanner -> I don't like the unlocking method for this device with the fingerprint scanner on the screen. The best position was on the back, especially with this big display. The scanner itself also fails from time to time (you need to put the finger precisely on it and you don't have any guidance on the display, not like you had on the back of the device). Face unlock works also, but it kicks in when it wants and you need to swipe also to unlock the device (most of the times I didn't even knew the device was unlocked).
  • Display size -> Not really an issue as this is what I wanted, but if you come from smaller devices it will take some time to get used to this size. Although the size of the phone is not very big, because the actual display is big, using it with one hand is not very good (although Samsung does offer some software help for that - I didn't get used to use it).
  • Sound -> The sound is not great on this device. It is better than on my old device but it isn't what you expect from a high end device. I got complaints from other callers that the sound quality is bad. The speaker mode in a call is also not great. In music/video seems to be a little better, but not great.
  • Accessories -> This is more for the lack of them. I really don't like the approach manufacturers took to not even include a charger.
  • Charger 3rd party -> I have a few OnePlus chargers and they do not work for this device. It detects the charging only as USB charge speed. Not sure if something from OnePlus or from Samsung though.

inegru87, since you ended up getting your S21+ what has your personal experience been of the phone so far?
Also you mentioned that from what you looked at the bootloader is fairly easy to unlock. If this is the case then that's great to hear, but I thought Samsung still uses/enforces KNOX on their devices so I'm not sure how unlocking the bootloader would be easy? Then again I've been away from Samsung for a while so maybe stuff changed, but I'm just curious.

I'd like to add that maybe they don't have a lot of bloatware "to the naked eye", but I still feel like they have a lot of stuff running in the background.

When I had my samsung 8 it was very sluggish and I remember I had a lot of trouble uninstalling/disabling apps from the phone. I had to use a special script that someone wrote to export a list of all the apps/services the phone was running in the background and I recall it being over 350 apps/services. I think I was only able to cut down like 50-60. Anyway, I'm interested to hear your experience.

I found this video that shows a (easy) way to unlock the bootloader:
. I didn't try it, but will do when my phone gets out of warranty :D

There are some apps that come preinstalled, but some of them you can uninstall. Some you cannot "Like Bixbi", but you can disable it and it won't bother you. The Services running in the background do not seem to be something to worry. Samsung definitely is better on this part than it was a few years ago.
For software reasons I wouldn't worry about this as they seem to go in the correct direction.

In the end I can say that I do not regret buying this device and I will keep it. I hope things will stay the same for this device for the next years.
If I were to choose again between OnePlus & Samsung now I would still make the same choice. Between these 2, I think Samsung is a winner, not by much although.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is my personal opinion.

I used all Samsung Galaxy S series up to 8+ and gave it away (not sold) and decided not to buy Samsung or ever use their phones again except tablets .
    All what they want is control, even though you've bought and paid for it, they still thinks it's their property, always making it harder for the end user.
    I would say the OnePlus 9 Pro is better than the S21 because the main reason is the price difference and the specs are somewhat the same on both phones.
    Also, no issues with this high performance OnePlus 9 Pro!
    I have had zero issues with my 9 Pro and would definitely not trade for any S21 variant.
    9 Pro 100%.
    Almost none Bloatware. Samsung is FUll of it.
    9 Pro Anndroid 12 Open Beta 1 & 2 works Fine.
    On 9 Pro you can install Global Color Os Android 12 stable. Also works very well & have more option that Oxygen OS.
    On 9 Pro you can unlock botloader, you can root.
    I've owned 2 Samsung, Nothing on XDA for Global-Snapdragon, but full for Korea-Exynos.
    xPan mode for camera on 9 Pro is absolut Great.
    I use european 9 Pro.