• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Accessories OnePlus 9 Pro Screen Protector

Search This thread
LOCA screen protectors are still tempered glass, just glued on.

Yeah, I was referring to the liquid glass ones where you put some of it on the screen and spread it over. Those ones seem to be a "placebo effect" as a lot of users still end up with a shattered display. Whitestone Dome included.

Or if you want to be the safest just don't use your phone. Leave it in its box and move on. Everything has a level of risks. Temper glass, films or liquid. Whatever makes you feel safer.

Sorry, I thought my sarcasm was obvious.
I am aware that there's risks regardless. The point I was trying to make is which route one is willing to take, spend time, effort, and money on, and hope for the best, lol. Things got really complicated when curved displays became more commonplace. It's difficult to find a decent solution that doesn't have some major issue or caveat attached to it.

Reactions: djsubterrain

entropism

Jul 21, 2007
Linden, NJ
OnePlus 7T
Google Pixel 4a 5G
I've seen articles that state that with liquid glass screen protectors, you still run a risk of shattering the display itself, as opposed to tempered glass ones, though obviously with the latter you run the risk of the damn thing popping off....
I mean, you can shatter a screen with a tempered protector too. People seem to forget that the main purpose for screen protectors are for SCRATCHES, not impact. A 0.2mm piece of glass isn't going to do **** when you drop your phone.

I mean, you can shatter a screen with a tempered protector too. People seem to forget that the main purpose for screen protectors are for SCRATCHES, not impact. A 0.2mm piece of glass isn't going to do **** when you drop your phone.

True, but to be fair, I've dropped devices before with a tempered glass protector, which cracked but kept the screen itself intact. It did help that I always buy "bumper" cases that have raised lips and good shock absorption. I've only ever cracked one screen before, and that was an incident in which NO case or screen protector was going to prevent that.
I, uh.... was sitting on a recliner, with my phone on the arm rest. It slid off, and somehow bounced a bit, enough to land right under the edge of the bottom of the chair. When I leaned forward, not realizing just where it was, the chair crushed it. >_<

entropism

Jul 21, 2007
Linden, NJ
OnePlus 7T
Google Pixel 4a 5G
It's all coincidental. I've shattered one screen in my life. An S20 with a Whitestone dome on it. In an OtterBox. Dropped from about 3.5 feet.

I've seenphones get dropped and nothing happens, I've seen phones get dropped on carpet that shatter. The simple fact is, if it was going to shatter, it's going to shatter.

Last edited:
Reactions: GuyInDogSuit

djsubterrain

Jan 4, 2012
Livingston
OnePlus 9 Pro
Applied the Mocolo protector, it's decent enough, I got it from AliExpress so got 2 for £13.
Sadly I got the tiniest speck of dust in the corner I hadn't noticed so I have a friendly little bubble. Stickers for the speaker and buttons stopped any major spillage.
The application of the LOCA doesn't seem as smooth as it might be as there's a kind of distortion you can notice if the screen is off, doesn't interfere with touch, FP or the image when the screen is on though.

Applied the Mocolo protector, it's decent enough, I got it from AliExpress so got 2 for £13.
Sadly I got the tiniest speck of dust in the corner I hadn't noticed so I have a friendly little bubble. Stickers for the speaker and buttons stopped any major spillage.
The application of the LOCA doesn't seem as smooth as it might be as there's a kind of distortion you can notice if the screen is off, doesn't interfere with touch, FP or the image when the screen is on though.

That would drive me insane, tbh.

djsubterrain

Jan 4, 2012
Livingston
OnePlus 9 Pro
That would drive me insane, tbh.
Yeah I didn't see anything too, used an alcohol wipe, then the cloth included which I always think look like they'll introduce "floaty things" then used one of the stickers to remove any dust I did see.

I have the 2nd to do another application but it's not visible when the screen is on so I can live with it for now.

entropism

Jul 21, 2007
Linden, NJ
OnePlus 7T
Google Pixel 4a 5G
Just took delivery of my new phone, and immediately peeled off the (stock?) screen protector and put this one on:

Not sure if OnePlus puts their stock protectors on the US Unlocked devices, I got this as an open box from Best Buy. Screen protector that was on it felt awful and was already peeling up.

This is my first time installing a LOCA protector without an installation frame like AmFilm and Whitestone give you. The hardest part was taping off the volume & power buttons, along with the slider, had to use scotch tape. Taping off the earpiece was easy, as it came with a sticker just for that.

Anyways, I made sure the device was level (placed it perpendicular over a phone case), put the LOCA directly in the center of the device, and GENTLY lowered the protector onto the phone, with one side slightly higher, so it wouldn't create air bubbles. Once it started spreading, it was done in about 15 seconds. No spill, no mess. Just had to carefully slide the protector up towards the earpiece so it was centered, and then used the LED lamp to dry it. One minuscule drop was on the frame of the phone by the charging port, I used my nail to flick it off. Looks, feels, and works perfectly.

Edit: It's ever so slightly too far down the screen. We'll see if my Spigen Ultra Hybrid case lifts it up or not.

Last edited:
Reactions: Shooter7889

Shooter7889

Mar 24, 2019
FLORENCE
OnePlus 7 Pro
OnePlus 8T
Just took delivery of my new phone, and immediately peeled off the (stock?) screen protector and put this one on:

Not sure if OnePlus puts their stock protectors on the US Unlocked devices, I got this as an open box from Best Buy. Screen protector that was on it felt awful and was already peeling up.

This is my first time installing a LOCA protector without an installation frame like AmFilm and Whitestone give you. The hardest part was taping off the volume & power buttons, along with the slider, had to use scotch tape. Taping off the earpiece was easy, as it came with a sticker just for that.

Anyways, I made sure the device was level (placed it perpendicular over a phone case), put the LOCA directly in the center of the device, and GENTLY lowered the protector onto the phone, with one side slightly higher, so it wouldn't create air bubbles. Once it started spreading, it was done in about 15 seconds. No spill, no mess. Just had to carefully slide the protector up towards the earpiece so it was centered, and then used the LED lamp to dry it. One minuscule drop was on the frame of the phone by the charging port, I used my nail to flick it off. Looks, feels, and works perfectly.

Edit: It's ever so slightly too far down the screen. We'll see if my Spigen Ultra Hybrid case lifts it up or not.
I was getting ready to link this very glass. I ordered on Amazon for around $15. Same as Whitestone w/out alignment frame. It was easy though for me to slide it into the exact placing I wanted b4 using the uv light to dry the adhesive. Definitely the best screen protector as of now. I'm still waiting to put my case back on tho hoping it'll dry completely to not push it up

netgar

Jan 14, 2012
OnePlus 9 Pro
I was getting ready to link this very glass. I ordered on Amazon for around $15. Same as Whitestone w/out alignment frame. It was easy though for me to slide it into the exact placing I wanted b4 using the uv light to dry the adhesive. Definitely the best screen protector as of now. I'm still waiting to put my case back on tho hoping it'll dry completely to not push it up
Do you mean Folii Loca screen protector?

entropism

Jul 21, 2007
Linden, NJ
OnePlus 7T
Google Pixel 4a 5G
The thing about Whitestone is that they're selling the same $2 LOCA protectors as everyone else off Aliexpress, the "value" is in the allignment frame. I had issues doing LOCA protectors without frames before, but this one was incredibly easy. I think it's because the screen is *barely* curved, it basically acts as a guide rail for the protector. Very simple.

Geofrey Kazaula

Feb 14, 2016
Dar es Salaam
Hi All,
Is there a Samsung phone with the same screen size so that we apply a protector made for Samsung?
This is because in some regions it takes time to buy online and deliver.

Regards,

mptynugget

Jul 2, 2021
judgement_day
I have been using my 3rd screen protector OnePlus 9 pro bought couple of screen protectors from crappy brands got frustrated with that while one was peeling off within a month and the second one didn't fit across the edges properly so I have got back to Gadgetshieldz screen guard which worked well for me with my Pixel 3.

AntonJart

Oct 21, 2010
Reseda
I personally am running it with Skinomi film (after trying a tempered glass one and seeing how bad it looks). So far no problems.

Top Liked Posts