Question Oneplus 9 Pro T-mobile US Sim Unlock

Search This thread

User NiNaNo

Mar 17, 2017
I bought an OP9Pro Tmobile variant this week, and I want to flash another custom ROM than OOS, but I realized that I need to unlock the sim to unlock the bootloader. Is there eligibility or a requirement to unlock the network sim?
If it's too long I'm planning to return it.

SaintZ93

I bought an OP9Pro Tmobile variant this week, and I want to flash another custom ROM than OOS, but I realized that I need to unlock the sim to unlock the bootloader. Is there eligibility or a requirement to unlock the network sim?
If it's too long I'm planning to return it.
1. Pay off device if it isn't already or convince someone on TMO chat to perm sim unlock you

2. Get your unlock code from bootloader and send into oneplus and wait about 7 to 14 days to get the unlock.bin file

3. Unlock device once you get the bin file

4. Flash a custom rom

Edit: this will always be like that when buying a device from TMO

User NiNaNo

Mar 17, 2017
1. Pay off device if it isn't already or convince someone on TMO chat to perm sim unlock you

2. Get your unlock code from bootloader and send into oneplus and wait about 7 to 14 days to get the unlock.bin file

3. Unlock device once you get the bin file

4. Flash a custom rom
If I have a friend using TMO, I can tell him to ask TMO to perm sim unlock right away?

User NiNaNo

Mar 17, 2017
Have you tried going into bootloader and unlocking. I could be wrong but since you bought it from the OnePlus store you shouldn't have to go through the unlock.bin process
I contact Oneplus they said I have to use tmobile network for 45 days to unlock the sim lock, and after that, I can submit a form to unlock the bootloader.

SaintZ93

No, there is not. You must have T-Mobile postpaid for 45 days to unlock the SIM. You can unlock the bootloader without having the SIM unlocked but it will be stuck a T-Mobile only phone if you do that and don't activate it on T-Mobile.
Or try to convince someone on live chat. That worked for me. Got SIM unlocked same day of purchase

Reactions: TheGhost1951

Appreciative

Mar 6, 2015
Is there any other way I can get unlock for the TMO sim? Should I call them?
You can definitely unlock the bootloader and flash stuff without the sim being unlocked but I'm not sure if that helps you in this case. What mvno is it?

For what it's worth, I bought mine a week ago. On the first day, I talked to 6 support agents. Some on the phone, some in chat, some on twitter @tmobilehelp.

If you insist you can have it unlocked because you bought it outright and own the device, need to unlock the bootloader for development, someone will try to help.

I had two agents who tried to unlock it for me but said they can't because the IMEI starts with 99 and tmobile devices are typically 35. They said they escalated it and I should be able to unlock within 48 hours.

One twitter agent asked me for receipt to submit with the request so it's not denied.

I'm currently on a sim locked eu-flashed le2127. I plan to flash back to stock tmo this weekend. I was waiting for my cust-unlock token from OnePlus.

I am going to flash stock tmo, use One+_TooL to turn on oem unlock in settings, flash cust-unlock.bin to unlock bootloader and root. Then I am going to attempt the sim unlock after root, to see if I can see anything we may be able to use later for self unlocking

Last edited:

User NiNaNo

Mar 17, 2017
You can definitely unlock the bootloader and flash stuff without the sim being unlocked but I'm not sure if that helps you in this case. What mvno is it?

For what it's worth, I bought mine a week ago. On the first day, I talked to 6 support agents. Some on the phone, some in chat, some on twitter @tmobilehelp.

If you insist you can have it unlocked because you bought it outright and own the device, need to unlock the bootloader for development, someone will try to help.

I had two agents who tried to unlock it for me but said they can't because the IMEI starts with 99 and tmobile devices are typically 35. They said they escalated it and I should be able to unlock within 48 hours.

One twitter agent asked me for receipt to submit with the request so it's not denied.

I'm currently on a sim locked eu-flashed le2127. I plan to flash back to stock tmo this weekend. I was waiting for my cust-unlock token from OnePlus.

I am going to flash stock tmo, use One+_TooL to turn on oem unlock in settings, flash cust-unlock.bin to unlock bootloader and root. Then I am going to attempt the sim unlock after root, to see if I can see anything we may be able to use later for self unlocking
Oh okay please let me know if you have an update, because I think your situation is very similar to mine. My mvno is 'US mobile'. Thank you for your time. I'll try to contact to Tmo support if they can unlock my sim.

Appreciative

Mar 6, 2015
Oh okay please let me know if you have an update, because I think your situation is very similar to mine. My mvno is 'US mobile'. Thank you for your time. I'll try to contact to Tmo support if they can unlock my sim.

I was able to get unlocked today.

I got a reply from @tmobilehelp on Twitter saying "we escalated the request to the unlock team. They received an error during unlock. You have to talk to the manufacturer". Of course OnePlus says TMobile will have to unlock the phone (but OnePlus is supposed to reach out tomorrow, the guy said he would check into other methods for me to bypass TMobile. Not expecting anything)

Then I asked her if she could try to submit it again because I was on the network now and wasn't on the network the first time I asked (I have an active account but my sim wasn't in the 9 Pro).

She asked me for a full receipt instead of my edited receipt so she could submit it again showing proof I own the phone fully.

While I was getting that documentation ready, she flagged me down in a Twitter DM to say:
"Upon further investigation into your IMEI, we were able to approve your unlock request. You are now able to unlock via the in-phone unlock button!"

She said "your phone comes back as 'purchased directly from TMobile', which is a different process. I did not realize this at first but now your request is done and will unlock"

You may get lucky finding her on Twitter again and going for the same story. She knows how to get it handled. Her name is Yecenia. When she's active on Twitter, you will see her replying to people complaining @TmobileHelp with "^YeceniaFlores" as the signature (or similar). Maybe ask for her to help if you get another agent. Explain that you own the phone and want to unlock it for development, offer to show proof of purchase and see what happens

Reactions: CZ Eddie

User NiNaNo

Mar 17, 2017

I got a reply from @tmobilehelp on Twitter saying "we escalated the request to the unlock team. They received an error during unlock. You have to talk to the manufacturer". Of course OnePlus says TMobile will have to unlock the phone (but OnePlus is supposed to reach out tomorrow, the guy said he would check into other methods for me to bypass TMobile. Not expecting anything)

Then I asked her if she could try to submit it again because I was on the network now and wasn't on the network the first time I asked (I have an active account but my sim wasn't in the 9 Pro).

She asked me for a full receipt instead of my edited receipt so she could submit it again showing proof I own the phone fully.

While I was getting that documentation ready, she flagged me down in a Twitter DM to say:
"Upon further investigation into your IMEI, we were able to approve your unlock request. You are now able to unlock via the in-phone unlock button!"

She said "your phone comes back as 'purchased directly from TMobile', which is a different process. I did not realize this at first but now your request is done and will unlock"

You may get lucky finding her on Twitter again and going for the same story. She knows how to get it handled. Her name is Yecenia. When she's active on Twitter, you will see her replying to people complaining @TmobileHelp with "^YeceniaFlores" as the signature (or similar). Maybe ask for her to help if you get another agent. Explain that you own the phone and want to unlock it for development, offer to show proof of purchase and see what happens
Okay thanks for the review, I'll try your way tomorrow Monday. I really appreciate your work and reply!

Reactions: Appreciative

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    For anyone reading this...
    I was once a T-Mobile customer. My family was happy with the service, but bills were always too high. We moved to MetroPCS (now Metro by T-Mobile) and were equally happy, we've since then moved to Mint Mobile for maximum savings, while still utilizing T-Mobile's network. We had OnePlus 7 Pros and due to the early Black Friday deal, we decided to upgrade to the 9 Pro 5G. The Unlocked version was waaaay more expensive then the T-Mobile variant, but I was worried the T-Mobile variant MUST be used through T-Mobile directly. I reached out to Mint and they said it *shouldn't* be a problem, so I ordered the 9 Pros for my family. I then of course read this thread and immediately got worried we wouldn't be able to use them. My worries got worse when I received the phones and unpacked them to find them bundled with a T-Mobile SIM card that says a "must be activated by" date. I threw in my Mint SIM and the phone worked right away at making a call. Data didn't work and I had a ! next to the network icon at the top of my phone. A couple minutes later, the ! went away and I was able to get to websites. I've now had the phone for 24 hours and have been using it fully, and it 100% works. The "unlock" option on the phone so far just says it cannot reach the servers, but we don't have plans to leave T-Mobile's network, so it's not a big deal for us. I'm leaving this here for others who want this assurance. I paid a whopping grand total of $170 for each 9 Pro after trading in my 7 Pro for each.

tl;dr:
    T-Mobile variant ordered straight through OnePlus' store WILL work on MVNOs (Metro by T-Mobile, Mint, RedPocket...etc)
    Yes, I bought the device fully paid from the official OnePlus US store.
    Have you tried going into bootloader and unlocking. I could be wrong but since you bought it from the OnePlus store you shouldn't have to go through the unlock.bin process
    Okay, I will try. Thanks for the help, can I contact you if I have more questions that I cannot solve it by myself?
    I'm using TMO mvno, is it possible to get it?
    Nope, has to be T-Mobile postpaid.
    No, there is not. You must have T-Mobile postpaid for 45 days to unlock the SIM. You can unlock the bootloader without having the SIM unlocked but it will be stuck a T-Mobile only phone if you do that and don't activate it on T-Mobile.
    Or try to convince someone on live chat. That worked for me. Got SIM unlocked same day of purchase