• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Question Oneplus heavily throttling well known apps

Search This thread

fdgfgd

Nov 22, 2017
Anandtech released this article:

Basically Oneplus has a list of most used applications and in them it throttles CPU usage heavily by DISABLING the X1 entirely or underclocking it.
For example the phone only gets 10% of the performance in Chrome compared to other Snapdragon 888 phones.

I was wondering if there is a workaround for this?

dkcats3

Sep 13, 2013
OnePlus 9 Pro

Basically Oneplus has a list of most used applications and in them it throttles CPU usage heavily by DISABLING the X1 entirely or underclocking it.
For example the phone only gets 10% of the performance in Chrome compared to other Snapdragon 888 phones.

Custom roms are using some of the oneplus kernel code in order to make it compatible, but those parts of the functionality might not be present in something like LineageOS or crDroid. Haven't checked though. This is an interesting find, I imagine it's a power usage adaptation.

Update: I am testing these benchmarks now on my crDroid install, will report back results

dkcats3

Sep 13, 2013
OnePlus 9 Pro

Running the latest build of crDroid, and keep in mind I have plenty of apps installed so your mileage may vary, I score 84.6 in speedtest 2.0 on chrome (chrome is heavy so I'm not surprised it scores lower than vivaldi). Surprisingly I score 94.744 on jetstream 2, which is higher than vivaldi scored on OOS in the article you linked.

Hope this helps!

Reactions: fdgfgd and galaxys

fdgfgd

Nov 22, 2017
Running the latest build of crDroid, and keep in mind I have plenty of apps installed so your mileage may vary, I score 84.6 in speedtest 2.0 on chrome (chrome is heavy so I'm not surprised it scores lower than vivaldi). Surprisingly I score 94.744 on jetstream 2, which is higher than vivaldi scored on OOS in the article you linked.

Hope this helps!
Nice! Thanks for testing it and finding a viable workaround for this.

Guess the other solution would be to fork the kernel and remove or change the code regarding this QoS/Throttling in apps, the Anandtech article actually linked to it in github where the culprit may be.

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020

Welcome to XDA🤗

The article doesn't seem to mention how the test phone was configured. I'm always skim reading so I may have missed it but configuration should be the first consideration.

Disable all power management and optimization... destroyer of worlds.
Some of the power management features you may want to use, most seem to only cause erratic behavior and even increased battery usage. Nothing's for free.
Dependencies... remember many services and akps are intertwined and dependent on others. One small change can cause big far reaching consequences.

This issue may not be caused by the above but it's worth a shot to play with the power settings configuration.
Androids are like bad gf's, they wuv to be played with🤣

fdgfgd

Nov 22, 2017
It's a kind of power management "feature" which the user can't alter.
Neither is changing Chrome flags going to do anything.

The only way to counter this without changing the kernel or ROM is by spoofing the APK but then you lose 120hz because ALL of this is based on lists embedded in OP OS framework.

Reactions: blackhawk

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
It's a kind of power management "feature" which the user can't alter.
Neither is changing Chrome flags going to do anything.

The only way to counter this without changing the kernel or ROM is by spoofing the APK but then you lose 120hz because ALL of this is based on lists embedded in OP OS framework.
Will using a different Chrome based browser help or is it an equal opportunity Chrome hater?🤣

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Yeah, in the article they used Vivaldi which is a Chromium based browser and scored 10x more than in regular chrome. But it'll force you to 60hz unfortunately...
One thing I don't like about stock Androids is unlike Windows you can't easily modify things at the core level.
I crashed and burned quit a few XP OS clones playing in the registry... fun times🤣

samwhiteUK

Jul 1, 2012
Cambridge
OnePlus 9 Pro
Don't worry guys. A nice fix is on the way soon. Omega kernel developer already has a test build that we are testing that does away with this BS throttling. Phone feels amazing now.
I was literally just coming on to ask what we were doing about this. This would be well worth rooting for. Cheers!

Will this still allow 120Hz on the supported apps?

fdgfgd

Nov 22, 2017
I just installed it and it seems to work and the issue is gone!

Ran Speedometer on Chrome to test:
photo_2021-07-07_13-19-24.jpg

fdgfgd

Nov 22, 2017
After further testing I can see that the X1 core doesn't reach it's maximum clock of 2.8GHz but stops at 2.3GHz in Chrome.

Something else is limiting Chrome from reaching the maximum potential of the CPU which is not happening in Vivaldi. If that limitation was lifted then score of ~100 should be possible in Speedometer test and that would be on par with other 888 phones.

fdgfgd

Nov 22, 2017
Finally I managed to find the ROM side of throttling and removed it, now we have full performance in Chrome stable (and ALL other blacklisted apps)! No more CPU freq throttling and Speedometer score of 115

photo_2021-07-10_02-37-04.jpg

Reactions: luckylui

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Would you care to share how all of us can make these adjustments within oxygen os, if that's even possible?
    It is possible.

The package that is responsible for blacklisting and limiting is "com.oneplus.config"
    It's in the system_ext image inside of ROM under app/OPOnlineConfig/OPOnlineConfig.apk
    If you extract that APK with apktool you'll find a 110kb JSON file that has various modifiers for different apps aka it has blacklists/whitelists in it.
    You can uninstall that app with adb shell by doing
    Code:
    pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.oneplus.config
    Then you reboot and you'll not have any CPU throttling anymore.

I need to do more testing of what else is affected by removing the apk entirely but I think it'll be wise to create a Magisk module or flashable zip with modified APK to simply alter the lists and remove the list for throttling cpu frequency and leave rest to be.

Custom roms are using some of the oneplus kernel code in order to make it compatible, but those parts of the functionality might not be present in something like LineageOS or crDroid. Haven't checked though. This is an interesting find, I imagine it's a power usage adaptation.

Update: I am testing these benchmarks now on my crDroid install, will report back results

Hope this helps!
    Don't worry guys. A nice fix is on the way soon. Omega kernel developer already has a test build that we are testing that does away with this BS throttling. Phone feels amazing now.