• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Question Oneplus heavily throttling well known apps

Search This thread

fdgfgd

Nov 22, 2017
Would you care to share how all of us can make these adjustments within oxygen os, if that's even possible?
It is possible.

The package that is responsible for blacklisting and limiting is "com.oneplus.config"
It's in the system_ext image inside of ROM under app/OPOnlineConfig/OPOnlineConfig.apk
If you extract that APK with apktool you'll find a 110kb JSON file that has various modifiers for different apps aka it has blacklists/whitelists in it.
You can uninstall that app with adb shell by doing
Code:
pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.oneplus.config
Then you reboot and you'll not have any CPU throttling anymore.

I need to do more testing of what else is affected by removing the apk entirely but I think it'll be wise to create a Magisk module or flashable zip with modified APK to simply alter the lists and remove the list for throttling cpu frequency and leave rest to be.

Last edited:

Dashwood Foxe

Dec 23, 2014
It is possible.

The package that is responsible for blacklisting and limiting is "com.oneplus.config"
It's in the system_ext image inside of ROM under app/OPOnlineConfig/OPOnlineConfig.apk
If you extract that APK with apktool you'll find a 450kb JSON file that has various modifiers for different apps aka it has blacklists/whitelists in it.
Code:

I need to do more testing of what else is affected by removing the apk entirely but I think it'll be wise to create a Magisk module or flashable zip with modified APK to simply alter the lists and remove the list for throttling cpu frequency and leave rest to be.
Call me crazy but Active drain has dropped considerably upon disabling/uninstalling that apk.

Trekster

Aug 5, 2008
It is possible.

If you extract that APK with apktool you'll find a 450kb JSON file that has various modifiers for different apps aka it has blacklists/whitelists in it.
Code:

Have you seen any negative effects since removing? Does this app do anything else?

Vic36

Jan 14, 2015
India
weirdly after uninstalling com.oneplus.config and restarting , oneplus launcher isnt working for me on 11.2.7.7 India

Edit: working after enabling com.oneplus.config

Last edited:

Epedemic

Apr 4, 2007
It is possible.

Code:

Good find. A couple of stupid(?) questions:
Can this be done without root?
Is it possible to revert without reflashing/resetting to factory settings?

fdgfgd

Nov 22, 2017
Good find. A couple of stupid(?) questions:
Can this be done without root?
Is it possible to revert without reflashing/resetting to factory settings?
Yes it can be done without root and you can revert without reflashing/factory reset
But I'm not sure how effective it is without custom kernel that disables TPD (Using Omega myself).

If you want to revert then:
Code:
adb.exe shell cmd package install-existing com.oneplus.config

Reactions: Epedemic

dreinulldrei

Nov 4, 2015
OnePlus 9 Pro
Albeit you guys have found this workaround, I wonder if anyone also understands this as false advertising. I mean... This is a EUR 1,000.- device with the promise of being a flagship. But then, the advertised 888 processor is limited to delivering the power of a mid-range 6xx device.

I totally understand everyone's work here and it's appreciated, but I wonder if the community should put some stress on 1+ and probably also major outlets like Amazon by asking for refunds. Maybe this will wake them up that this isn't what people are expecting from a flagship. I do a lot of remote administration and my phone is my last resort as a device when I am on the road and don't have a notebook with me. I have had instances where I force Chrome to report back as a desktop machine when working with certain sites or devices (e.g. Synology NAS where the mobile admin interface is heavily crippled). This is all pretty slow and sluggish on my 9Pro and now I know why.

Vic36

Jan 14, 2015
India
Albeit you guys have found this workaround, I wonder if anyone also understands this as false advertising. I mean... This is a EUR 1,000.- device with the promise of being a flagship. But then, the advertised 888 processor is limited to delivering the power of a mid-range 6xx device.

I totally understand everyone's work here and it's appreciated, but I wonder if the community should put some stress on 1+ and probably also major outlets like Amazon by asking for refunds. Maybe this will wake them up that this isn't what people are expecting from a flagship. I do a lot of remote administration and my phone is my last resort as a device when I am on the road and don't have a notebook with me. I have had instances where I force Chrome to report back as a desktop machine when working with certain sites or devices (e.g. Synology NAS where the mobile admin interface is heavily crippled). This is all pretty slow and sluggish on my 9Pro and now I know why.
I was using my gf's 9R and it felt smother&faster than my 9 Pro . For what did i spend almost double the amount🤦‍♂️

Reactions: dreinulldrei

Trekster

Aug 5, 2008

I totally agree. I don't have an option to return the device now as i bought it back when it was launched. But this will probably be my last OnePlus phone for a while. My next purchase most certainly won't be an OnePlus. Fortunately there are manufacturers out there not decieving their customers like this. I most certainly didn't buy 1000€ for an 500€ performing phone.

Reactions: dreinulldrei

fdgfgd

Nov 22, 2017
I did some further testing and it seems that this solution doesn't really work unless you disable TPD.
So either compile kernel without it or use Omega version that has it disabled.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Would you care to share how all of us can make these adjustments within oxygen os, if that's even possible?
    It is possible.

If you extract that APK with apktool you'll find a 110kb JSON file that has various modifiers for different apps aka it has blacklists/whitelists in it.
    Code:

Anandtech released this article:

Basically Oneplus has a list of most used applications and in them it throttles CPU usage heavily by DISABLING the X1 entirely or underclocking it.
    For example the phone only gets 10% of the performance in Chrome compared to other Snapdragon 888 phones.

I was wondering if there is a workaround for this?

Basically Oneplus has a list of most used applications and in them it throttles CPU usage heavily by DISABLING the X1 entirely or underclocking it.
    For example the phone only gets 10% of the performance in Chrome compared to other Snapdragon 888 phones.

Custom roms are using some of the oneplus kernel code in order to make it compatible, but those parts of the functionality might not be present in something like LineageOS or crDroid. Haven't checked though. This is an interesting find, I imagine it's a power usage adaptation.

Update: I am testing these benchmarks now on my crDroid install, will report back results

Running the latest build of crDroid, and keep in mind I have plenty of apps installed so your mileage may vary, I score 84.6 in speedtest 2.0 on chrome (chrome is heavy so I'm not surprised it scores lower than vivaldi). Surprisingly I score 94.744 on jetstream 2, which is higher than vivaldi scored on OOS in the article you linked.

Hope this helps!
    Don't worry guys. A nice fix is on the way soon. Omega kernel developer already has a test build that we are testing that does away with this BS throttling. Phone feels amazing now.