Oneplus3 touch latency is too bad..

Search This thread

vrda08

Aug 23, 2013
anyone noticed very high touch latency on this device.. exp. when you moving your finger across display, its always couple mm behind it.. I was on many android/iphone devices before op and this is the worst latency I experianced.. The phone is good in all other points, but in this is very anoying.. Is there any software/kernel way to improve it somehow?

LS.xD

Nov 7, 2013
Luebeck
OnePlus 3
anyone noticed very high touch latency on this device.. exp. when you moving your finger across display, its always couple mm behind it.. I was on many android/iphone devices before op and this is the worst latency I experianced.. The phone is good in all other points, but in this is very anoying.. Is there any software/kernel way to improve it somehow?

Could you give an example or a specific app where you face the input latency? Do you use a modified rom? In my case there is no lag at all. Accuracy and input speed are great :D

vrda08

Aug 23, 2013
Could you give an example or a specific app where you face the input latency? Do you use a modified rom? In my case there is no lag at all. Accuracy and input speed are great :D

there is no lag, there is touch latency..
when you move your finger, its not instant, exp, try fast moving notification panel, and u will notice that panel is behind your finger. Maybe its not bother you, but if you try nexus device or iphone, you will see dramatic difference. I notice that @arter97 talks about it on twitter too.. I tried his kerenl and all coustom/stock/6.0/7.1 roms, but there is always high delay/latency persistent..

I tried my gf nexus5 and its way better.. and I read on web there is 75ms touch latency on nexus5, so i think there must be 100-120ms latency on oneplus3.. thats shame for flagship killer..

video example about what touch latency is.

Last edited:

LS.xD

Nov 7, 2013
Luebeck
OnePlus 3
when you move your finger, its not instant, exp, try fast moving notification panel, and u will notice that panel is behind your finger. Maybe its not bother you, but if you try nexus device or iphone, you will see dramatic difference. I notice that @arter97 talks about it on twitter too.. I tried his kerenl and all coustom/stock/6.0/7.1 roms, but there is always high delay/latency persistent..

I tried my gf nexus5 and its way better.. and I read on web there is 75ms touch latency on nexus5, so i think there must be 100-120ms latency on oneplus3.. thats shame for flagship killer..

Now I know what you're talking about ;) BUT does 100ms instead of 75ms mean that the usability of the phone is limited in any way? Do you have a concrete example of a app or feature that you can't use due to the latency?

vrda08

Aug 23, 2013
Now I know what you're talking about ;) BUT does 100ms instead of 75ms mean that the usability of the phone is limited in any way? Do you have a concrete example of a app or feature that you can't use due to the latency?
no there is no that way of limitation because of 25-50ms latency. But there is worse user experiance then in some 3 yrs old devices..

Reactions: cis190

Lutimp

Aug 25, 2016
Same here...

I thought i was the only one that noticed it. I can give some example: Try True Skate, it's a paid gaming app, but it's fun to play sometimes. I have also a galaxy tab S 8.4 which has a lot better latency without any doubt.

vrda08

Aug 23, 2013
In my opinion this is just the way how OxygenOS is designed. Try CM 14, it definetelly is created to has no touch latency.

Because it's Nougat.

No its not nougat. Dont write s***.
Its about firmware not software. Google improved software in 7.1 with reduced touch input lag, but thats not problem wit op3.
And about nougat, I tried all roms, from 6.0 to 7.1 and its all the same in high touch latency.

trivita

Mar 25, 2009
if i were you, i'd use at least assistive touch as a test approach. instead of pulling up/down notification area. which introduces quite a lot possible overhead. like animation, event processing, gpu etc.

generally speaking, the OS certainly if not solely affects what you call 'touch latency' ( 'touch latency based on visual feedback' i would say). it's almost definitely not a firmware issue.

btw. you might have already heard of the infamous audio latency issue with android. as a matter of fact, it's almost a linux issue. due to the kernel and system design.

PS: oh wait. i will give you the best test case. just activate dev menu, choose to display currrent touch position on video overlay. see how everything works.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Update: openbeta 13
    Some of fixes!!
    It's at about ~95ms. In comparison iPhone 6s is at about ~25ms and HTC M8 is at 46ms. That's what I read while googling the subject.
    In short, they really improved touch latency in last op13.
    no there is no that way of limitation because of 25-50ms latency. But there is worse user experiance then in some 3 yrs old devices..
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone