OnePlus8 VZW Bootloader is Not Unlockable

Search This thread

Mikkey81

May 10, 2010
Milwaukee
goo.gl
Has anyone seen any difference in the bootloader, unlocking, rootability on the Verizon Version of the OnePlus 8. Anything in coding that speaks to a lock out from Big Red?

I heard about sign up and IMEI issues with the direct OnePlus buys although it seems the IMEI issue came across from the Verizon branded ones as well.

Thanks in advance for feedback!!!
Edit.... At this time OEM Unlock is Non-existent in the DEV Settings and Fastboot CMD does not Allow unlocking of the bootloader. Thanks All!!!

Last edited:

foamerman

Sep 1, 2010
B-town
Well if the 8 pro is anything like the 7 pro the bootloader unlock was really easy. There is a statement on DroidLife,com they are talking about unlocked OnePlus 8 phones and Verizon but it was yesterday and it might be fixed by now or real soon.

Some_Ghost

Nov 6, 2019
I have the T-Mobile oneplus 8 I could not network unlock my device not because I am on eip but because my phone is not showing up in their database... they questioned if I even got it through them, I gave them my order number and my IMEI and it was not coming up in their system

Mikkey81

May 10, 2010
Milwaukee
goo.gl
I have the T-Mobile oneplus 8 I could not network unlock my device not because I am on eip but because my phone is not showing up in their database... they questioned if I even got it through them, I gave them my order number and my IMEI and it was not coming up in their system

Same from the reports on VZW. Just wondering how that worked out with the device hardware modifications (assuming there actually are any. Think I may give it a whirl and return if its locked up.

Xavster2

Jun 17, 2019
I bought one from straight from oneplus themselves and even though I hadn't even inserted a SIM card yet, I couldn't unlock the bootloader (inserting one didn't change anything). I don't think this is specific to verizon, or perhaps somethings up. Anyone know what's going on? It's an IN21AA

Sachi315

Sep 23, 2013
OnePlus 8T
I won't be ordering one if the bootloader can not be unlocked any status updates would be great. The money off with a trade in for the Verizon one is hard to pass up then again the Oneplus Z is coming very soon and with a snapdragon 765G same chip the pixel 5 is rumored to have? move over pixel 4a screwed again.

Last edited:

Xavster2

Jun 17, 2019
I won't be ordering one if the bootloader can not be unlocked any status updates would be great. The money off with a trade in for the Verizon one is hard to pass up then again the Oneplus Z is coming very soon and with a snapdragon 765G same chip the pixel 5 is rumored to have move over pixel 4a screwed again.

I feel like this may be a bug or something else is up with certain models, Oneplus isn't exactly known for keeping everything locked after all.

Reactions: Sachi315

Sachi315

Sep 23, 2013
OnePlus 8T
I feel like this may be a bug or something else is up with certain models, Oneplus isn't exactly known for keeping everything locked after all.

For the unlocked models from oneplus I agree it's probably a bug. But the VZW branded 8 5G I don't think it is. Pixels even have a different bootloader than the unlocked ones and can't be unlocked if bought from Verizon. Maybe oneplus fought this but who knows Verizon has a lot of pull.

Reactions: Xavster2

Xavster2

Jun 17, 2019
For the unlocked models from oneplus I agree it's probably a bug. But the VZW branded 8 5G I don't think it is. Pixels even have a different bootloader than the unlocked ones and can't be unlocked if bought from Verizon. Maybe oneplus fought this but who knows Verizon has a lot of pull.

That's really sad. I bought this device for this very reason over others and I cannot imagine having it perma locked because of verizon (Am on a tmobile MVNO).

Sachi315

Sep 23, 2013
OnePlus 8T
Hey guys go read post #4
I know it's unlockable. But even people buying direct are having issues with the unlocked phones. If there is a way to unlock the bootloader like the VZW pixel keep the sim out turn it on use WiFi and maybe OEM unlocking isn't greyed out. But VZW will patch that real quick like they did with the pixels. I have a OnePlus 7 pro I have no problem waiting for the 8T or even the Z it's not much of an upgrade anyway the trade in deal was kinda hard to pass up when OnePlus trade in program doesn't give enough money at all. The VZW one was taking even pixel 2s which I have lying around so it was worth it.

Last edited:

XD-MOD2-9MM

Nov 12, 2018
I bought one from straight from oneplus themselves and even though I hadn't even inserted a SIM card yet, I couldn't unlock the bootloader (inserting one didn't change anything). I don't think this is specific to verizon, or perhaps somethings up. Anyone know what's going on? It's an IN21AA

You need a sim and network to enable OEM unlocking ??*♂️ it's your mistake, nobody elses

XD-MOD2-9MM

Nov 12, 2018
Then I'd try a factory reset. There's no way the unlocked version won't let you unlock the bootloader. No chance. Mine was greyed out till I put a sim in and rebooted on my 8 Pro. and you can always return or exchange or get a refund ??

foamerman

Sep 1, 2010
B-town
I read on DroidLife that the unlocked 8 and 8 pro are now certified on Verizon maybe people should work with the reps. to get the problem worked out. If the 8 pro is anything like the 7 pro it's going to be easy to unlock just use ADB.

foamerman

Sep 1, 2010
B-town
So that's a definite? OnePlus 8 from red can not be bootloader unlocked? Even when paid off. Jus got mine 2day ago an that would blow

I'm not sure what phone you are using now. But I've had the 6, I've got the 7 pro now and both were easy to unlock using ADB and there were both on big red. But right now red had only the 8 pro 5G phone. I talked to a rep online she said was not sure when they were getting the 8 and 8 pro. I read that red was working on certifying unlocked 8 pro from oneplus but they also said it could be June. Let's hope it's sooner. Now I did have trouble with the 7 pro to get it to work on Verizon so I went to Verizon and they got it up and running. It was just a a couple of switches on there side.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I can confirm a working method is available, PM me if you are interested, it will not be posted publicly.
    I never got a reply to any of my private messages asking about the bootloader unlock, so here's the progress I've gotten on my own -

The Verizon ops files use slightly different crypto than the other variants like T-Mobile
    Code:
    mbox=        [0xAA,0x69,0x82,0x9E,0x5D,0xDE,0xB1,0x3D,0x30,0xBB,
                  0x81,0xA3,0x46,0x65,0xA3,0xE1,0x00,0x00,0x00,0x00,
                  0x00,0x00,0x00,0x00,0x00,0x00,0x00,0x00,0x00,0x00,
                  0x0a,0x00]

Code:
    Oppo CryptTools V1.2 (c) B. Kerler 2019-2020
    MIT License
    ----------------------------

Extracting instantnoodlev_15_O.07_201103.ops
    xml: 153330e00
    Extracting prog_firehose_ddr.elf
    Extracting prog_firehose_lite.elf

With a bit of editing it's possible to reflash the phone to instantnoodlet_15_O.16_201001.ops (the T-Mobile variant) -- edit settings.xml and change the <BasicInfo> and <Target ID> tags.

With this comes the "OEM unlock" toggle in Developer settings, unfortunately ....

Code:
    fastboot oem unlock
    FAILED (remote: 'Please flash unlock token first.')

Code:
    fastboot.exe oem get_unlock_code
    FAILED (remote: Unknow command)

So, no bootloader unlock yet, but it is happily running the T-Mobile firmware.
    (wifi, LTE and fingerprint appear working fine)

I may take another stab at it later using an EU or international firmware and see if that behaves any different.
    Whatever... I'll bite the bullet. Just ordered one 5 minutes ago and I'll get it on the 6th. Let's see where we end up.
    Here is some proof. And yes he will answer on his time. Sorry that's all I can tell you. Verizon op8 unlocked running pixel experience spoofed as a pixel 4 for all the nifty features. Call screen -assistant 2.0. magisk rooted passing all safety nets,clean slate kernel

Good to hear, guess i'll keep waiting. Do like the feel and speed of the phone, definitely out performs my Moto z4