• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

OneUI of SM-G960U1 expected date?

Search This thread

wilmesg

Oct 9, 2006
I just heard from Samsung Care the new "expected date" is March for the official update. WTF, I have a carrier unlocked (SM-G960U1) phone, but have to wait until every device in the world is updated, including the US minor carriers, before mine. This is the firmware all the US carriers are adding their bloat, too. It already exists. Can anyone explain this insanity?

Last edited:

Tel864

Nov 22, 2011
Greenville
I just heard from Samsung Care the new "expected date" is March for the official update. WTF, I have a carrier unlocked (SM-G960U1) phone, but have to wait until every device in the world is updated, including the US minor carriers, before mine. This is the firmware all the US carriers are adding their bloat, too. It already exists. Can anyone explain this insanity?

In the US, unlocked phones represent 12% of the market so I imagine the carriers get the most attention.

wilmesg

Oct 9, 2006
In the US, unlocked phones represent 12% of the market so I imagine the carriers get the most attention.
I agree, but we are still going to get the version they gave to the carriers a month ago. So they could have made that 12% happy. Instead they choose to make that 12% annoyed. But hey, we keep buying so it must not annoy us too much.

Tel864

Nov 22, 2011
Greenville
I agree, but we are still going to get the version they gave to the carriers a month ago. So they could have made that 12% happy. Instead they choose to make that 12% annoyed. But hey, we keep buying so it must not annoy us too much.

LOL, it seems that as far as cell phones go, people have very short memories. Honestly, I doubt that 75% or more of users even care what version of Android is installed on their phone. Hell, they probably don't even know.

Extreemator

Jul 26, 2011
LOL, it seems that as far as cell phones go, people have very short memories. Honestly, I doubt that 75% or more of users even care what version of Android is installed on their phone. Hell, they have probably don't even know.
More like 90. Blissfully nonchalant. Otherwise selling phones with locked bootloder would have caused uprest and carrier preferences would have been swashed off by sung quickly

BigBadger

May 2, 2008
Folsom, CA
I THINK the idea is that unlocked phones must work on all carriers so the update for unlocked phones can't be done until all the carriers have released their update.

I got the update today. So far, so good. Nothing to write home about good or bad.