• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

OnHub problem with 5G

Search This thread

ssilver

Oct 27, 2009
My LG-G4 and Samsung S4 only connect at 2.4G to the TP-Link Onhub (TPLink). They both connect to 5G when I use a Netgear router. If I place either phone right next to the OnHub, I can momentarily connect (about 2% of the time) to the 5G,

When I look at the details of the 5G connection (it only stays connected a few seconds) using WIFI Manager app, it shows that the OnHub "speed" is the same for both 2.4 and 5G. In the tests I ran the OnHub speeds were 96 Mbps. However, when I tested a NetGear Wifi router, the 5G always broadcasts a much higher "Speed", and will connect to 5G if signal strength is decent. Using the NetGear it is 96 Mbps for 2.4G and 433 Mbps for 5G.

This happens on both the LG-G4 and the Galaxy S4. I assume the phones are looking at both "Speed" and signal strength ("Level") to select the wifi band. If so, they will never select the 5G (other than momentarily) because the 2.4 signal is almost always stronger.

Am I the only person that has this problem?

kgeissler

Dec 21, 2006
Rowlett, TX
I have a similar problem. My onhub will connect at 2.4 about 50 percent of the time even when my phone or tablet is right next to the router. My 5g connection when I have it, is significantly faster than the 2.4 connection. No idea why.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

guidojusto

May 25, 2009
Buenos Aires
I have a similar problem. My onhub will connect at 2.4 about 50 percent of the time even when my phone or tablet is right next to the router. My 5g connection when I have it, is significantly faster than the 2.4 connection. No idea why.

I'm having the exact same issue with mine.

tibere86

Feb 14, 2009
Rockville, MD
My LG-G4 and Samsung S4 only connect at 2.4G to the TP-Link Onhub (TPLink). They both connect to 5G when I use a Netgear router. If I place either phone right next to the OnHub, I can momentarily connect (about 2% of the time) to the 5G,

When I look at the details of the 5G connection (it only stays connected a few seconds) using WIFI Manager app, it shows that the OnHub "speed" is the same for both 2.4 and 5G. In the tests I ran the OnHub speeds were 96 Mbps. However, when I tested a NetGear Wifi router, the 5G always broadcasts a much higher "Speed", and will connect to 5G if signal strength is decent. Using the NetGear it is 96 Mbps for 2.4G and 433 Mbps for 5G.

This happens on both the LG-G4 and the Galaxy S4. I assume the phones are looking at both "Speed" and signal strength ("Level") to select the wifi band. If so, they will never select the 5G (other than momentarily) because the 2.4 signal is almost always stronger.

Am I the only person that has this problem?
Go into your advanced WIFI settings on both phones and change band selection from AUTOMATIC to 5GHZ. That will solve your issue :)