onlive Xperia Play work-around for ALL GAMES

Search This thread

matthew.twin

Aug 3, 2011
Here is Saints Row 3rd working on xperia play through onlive using the xperia play joypads:....boom...

After about 5 hours worth of thinking and tinkering I just managed to get onlive to work with all the xperia play buttons (still not the analogue pads though, think we'll have to wait for it to be xplay optimized for that, unless someone can find a way in addition to this method). I've tested it on Dirt 3, batman Lego, and Saints row 3rd. You can hide the on-screen keyboard for games which have it too which makes for a REAL console experience.
Here's what you'll need:

Game keyboard - https://market.android.com/details?...wsMSwxLDEsImNvbS5sb2NuZXQuZ2FtZWtleWJvYXJkIl0.

Tasker - https://market.android.com/details?...EsIm5ldC5kaW5nbGlzY2guYW5kcm9pZC50YXNrZXJtIl0

Pretty expensive apps, but do a good job :)

Please note before setting it up, the gamekeyboard software as far as i know is not compatible with the analogue touch pads :( let me know if you find any difference.

Tutorial:

First things first, install both apps.

Then run GameKeyboard.
-1.jpg

click the top tab and you will be taken to the keyboard settings, enable the GameKeyboard by ticking the box, then go into the GameKeyboard settings.

-2.jpg

Then you need to scroll down to hard-key mappings, make sure that "re-map hardkey is ticked" and then click on "Hard keymappings".

-3.jpg

what you then need to do, is map all your xperia play buttons to something that can be typed with a normal keyboard.

For example, select "mapping 1".
Press the X key on the play gamepad
Then scroll down to the letter A.

This now means whenever you push the X key, the letter A will be sent to the OS instead :)

I use this config:
x=a
[] = b
/\ = c
R1 = d
r2 = e
start = enter
select = esc

The d-pad should work with onlive.

Dont worry about it screwing with your normal games, this is why you bought tasker, to switch the gamekeyboard on and off when onlive is opened.

-4.jpg

NOW!!!!
DONT GO DIVING IN JUST YET!

(technically you don't need to do the next step if you dont want to buy tasker, you can simply change the keyboard manually through the gamekeyboard app if you wish, I just find it easier to ask me to change it whenever I open onlive or close it)

So, Open tasker.
You should be greeted with a loada jargon... just click ok until you get this blank screen.

-5.jpg

Now push the little plus icon, and a little pop up should open, type in onlive just to name the task... like this

-6.jpg

click ok.

you should then be met with a list of things, just click the applications option.

-7.jpg

Now you need to scroll down to your onlive app, select it, then click the tick.

-8.jpg

Then click new task
-9.jpg

and name your task ON.

-11.jpg

You should then be faced with another screen

-12.jpg

You then need to click to + icon

-12.jpg

you will then get a screen with a load of options on, you need to click the input option, and then select "input method select".

Then once you get to the next screen don't type anything just click the tick, then you should see your new command.

-14.jpg

then click the tick again.

then what you need to do before you close it, is click on the task you made ("ON") and a pop up should come up and you need to click "Add Exit Task", than another pop up will pop up.... and you need to click on the "ON" command you made earlier.... confusing i know

then to close the app, click the green arrow :)

Then when you open onlive... it should ask you if you want to change the keyboard... you click on the "GameKeyboard"... same when you exit the application, you select the "Android keyboard" or if like me you have Go keyboard select the go keyboard.

you get used to it!!

you then have to go into your games you've bought on onlive and change the keys from the in game menu.... most games allow you to do this... Here is a list of games I have gotten to work.

Saints row the third - works but cant change camera view... not enough buttons :/

Dirt 3 - Works but you have to use the onlive on screen pad to navigate the menu, but in game they work.

Lego batman - works but cant move camera.... camera is automatic though so no need really. works :)

above is a video of saints row the third....hope you enjoy. >_<

Once the game has started you can hide the on screen keyboard by clicking the top left button.
Should also mention that it was mostly my bro who figured this out. If anyone wants to add him on onlive his username is elementom88.
Tell me now that this phone wasn't worth the price?

also, forgot to mention, circle button isn't mappable, couldn't find a way around this, if anyone can figure it out or if I'm being stupid just let me know! =P

Last edited:

Atarii

May 10, 2011
Awesome stuff! Great that you got it working and nice tutorial too! Thanks, will try this out

zipeee2

Jul 5, 2009
also, forgot to mention, circle button isn't mappable, couldn't find a way around this, if anyone can figure it out or if I'm being stupid just let me know! =P

You can remap the circle (O) button by using button remapper app to something other than back--afterwards the new assignment can be remapped with game keyboard. I think I mapped mine to [media play] to get it to work. In theory, you can map the other hard keys (menu, home, search) etc. on button remapper as well to something game keyboard recognizes. You can also use the button savior app to give you soft keys (menu, home, search, back) on the touch screen if you want to change the hard buttons to something else.

Last edited:

zulu99

Jan 6, 2009
if you want use Onlive on your tablet and use the phone as remote control

Install DroidMote Server on tablet, DroidMote Clinet on phone.

in the server side change the /system/usr/keylayout/generic.kl with this remapping:

key 304 A
key 305 B
key 307 C
key 308 ENTER
key 309 ESCAPE
key 310 D
key 311 E

how work DroidMote:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1292627

_terror_

Jul 19, 2011
i can't seem to run any game..

"Launching games is not supported on this platform.."

sfex3best

Jun 27, 2011
The camera on saints row is terrible all I can do is soot on the floor.
Nice app tho

zulu99

Jan 6, 2009
Ok. I can say it out loud. Onlive for android work for the streaming part but for control the game is a ****.

i tested with a microsoft wireless xbox 360 controller for pc on the asus transformer (the site says it is supported), but not work.

I watched a bit the source code and I have to say the developers is not in the correct direction.

from android 3.0 and higher the joystick event can get from sdk and not from ndk.

in the Onlive Viewer there is a **** ndk management of the input devices.

to be clear the ndk is good, the management of the input devices in Onlive Viewer is a ****, it is a port of windows version written in c to android, regardless of how Android handles the input devices.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2011
you need to make a note of the keys that batman uses, (the keyboard keys) then go back into gamekeyboard and change the mapped keys to the right ones you want, this shud work with all games aswell if you no the keys the game is listening for....

so in batman if left is "A" you then need to change it to "A" in gamekeyboard :)

matthew.twin

Aug 3, 2011
Just to clarify, most of the work was done by basketcase. Looking promising though?? Anyone tried this against the 'onlive helper' app??

Sent from my R800i using XDA App

daymo

May 16, 2010
Southampton
you need to make a note of the keys that batman uses, (the keyboard keys) then go back into gamekeyboard and change the mapped keys to the right ones you want, this shud work with all games aswell if you no the keys the game is listening for....

so in batman if left is "A" you then need to change it to "A" in gamekeyboard :)

Cheers basketcase will try it later...

Sent from my R800i using xda premium

Dec 8, 2011
THX man! Awesome! Just would love the touchpad supports. Hope they optimize it. Are we that far? A PC emulator... :D

Im currently tryna figure out how to work the touchpad mate, tryna make an app that will convert the touchpad input to a keyboard input, emailed gamekeyboard but theyre not interested, emailed the guy who made the onlivehelper app today to see if hes intrested in getting it on his app, but no response yet.

I have access to the touchpad but im not to familiar with the ****e ndk yet so no idea how to change it :/ dunno when il be able to work on it either cz i got loads goin on in uni.

And apparently the icecreamsan sdk has the touchpad input as standard. So we shall see :)

poo-tang

Nov 21, 2011
www.xperiagamer.com
Im currently tryna figure out how to work the touchpad mate, tryna make an app that will convert the touchpad input to a keyboard input, emailed gamekeyboard but theyre not interested, emailed the guy who made the onlivehelper app today to see if hes intrested in getting it on his app, but no response yet.

I have access to the touchpad but im not to familiar with the ****e ndk yet so no idea how to change it :/ dunno when il be able to work on it either cz i got loads goin on in uni.

And apparently the icecreamsan sdk has the touchpad input as standard. So we shall see :)
had that idea too still waiting for responce too. check out my idea last post on this thread http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1382899&page=4 also try to look into how psport app does it, it also makes the the touch pad button presses on setting type 4. paul that did mupen also worked it for pressing c buttons on n64 emu http://www.paulscode.com/forum/index.php?topic=75.0 he also tells you what files to be looking at on that page. hope to see this working thanks mate.

Last edited:

ps3taker

May 4, 2011
London

Search for test your touchpad post in the dev forum - it has links to sony manuals on the touchpad development. I was offering a bounty for a keyboard responding to the touchpad - i believe i posted some snapshots of what i had in mind on that thread too.

Sent from my Sony Tablet S using Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Here is Saints Row 3rd working on xperia play through onlive using the xperia play joypads:....boom...

After about 5 hours worth of thinking and tinkering I just managed to get onlive to work with all the xperia play buttons (still not the analogue pads though, think we'll have to wait for it to be xplay optimized for that, unless someone can find a way in addition to this method). I've tested it on Dirt 3, batman Lego, and Saints row 3rd. You can hide the on-screen keyboard for games which have it too which makes for a REAL console experience.
    Here's what you'll need:

Game keyboard - https://market.android.com/details?...wsMSwxLDEsImNvbS5sb2NuZXQuZ2FtZWtleWJvYXJkIl0.

Tasker - https://market.android.com/details?...EsIm5ldC5kaW5nbGlzY2guYW5kcm9pZC50YXNrZXJtIl0

Pretty expensive apps, but do a good job :)

Please note before setting it up, the gamekeyboard software as far as i know is not compatible with the analogue touch pads :( let me know if you find any difference.

Tutorial:

First things first, install both apps.

Then run GameKeyboard.
    -1.jpg

click the top tab and you will be taken to the keyboard settings, enable the GameKeyboard by ticking the box, then go into the GameKeyboard settings.

-2.jpg

Then you need to scroll down to hard-key mappings, make sure that "re-map hardkey is ticked" and then click on "Hard keymappings".

-3.jpg

what you then need to do, is map all your xperia play buttons to something that can be typed with a normal keyboard.

For example, select "mapping 1".
    Press the X key on the play gamepad
    Then scroll down to the letter A.

This now means whenever you push the X key, the letter A will be sent to the OS instead :)

I use this config:
    x=a
    [] = b
    /\ = c
    R1 = d
    r2 = e
    start = enter
    select = esc

The d-pad should work with onlive.

Dont worry about it screwing with your normal games, this is why you bought tasker, to switch the gamekeyboard on and off when onlive is opened.

-4.jpg

NOW!!!!
    DONT GO DIVING IN JUST YET!

(technically you don't need to do the next step if you dont want to buy tasker, you can simply change the keyboard manually through the gamekeyboard app if you wish, I just find it easier to ask me to change it whenever I open onlive or close it)

So, Open tasker.
    You should be greeted with a loada jargon... just click ok until you get this blank screen.

-5.jpg

Now push the little plus icon, and a little pop up should open, type in onlive just to name the task... like this

-6.jpg

click ok.

you should then be met with a list of things, just click the applications option.

-7.jpg

Now you need to scroll down to your onlive app, select it, then click the tick.

-8.jpg

Then click new task
    -9.jpg

and name your task ON.

-11.jpg

You should then be faced with another screen

-12.jpg

You then need to click to + icon

-12.jpg

you will then get a screen with a load of options on, you need to click the input option, and then select "input method select".

Then once you get to the next screen don't type anything just click the tick, then you should see your new command.

-14.jpg

then click the tick again.

then what you need to do before you close it, is click on the task you made ("ON") and a pop up should come up and you need to click "Add Exit Task", than another pop up will pop up.... and you need to click on the "ON" command you made earlier.... confusing i know

then to close the app, click the green arrow :)

Then when you open onlive... it should ask you if you want to change the keyboard... you click on the "GameKeyboard"... same when you exit the application, you select the "Android keyboard" or if like me you have Go keyboard select the go keyboard.

you get used to it!!

you then have to go into your games you've bought on onlive and change the keys from the in game menu.... most games allow you to do this... Here is a list of games I have gotten to work.

Saints row the third - works but cant change camera view... not enough buttons :/

Dirt 3 - Works but you have to use the onlive on screen pad to navigate the menu, but in game they work.

Lego batman - works but cant move camera.... camera is automatic though so no need really. works :)

above is a video of saints row the third....hope you enjoy. >_<

Once the game has started you can hide the on screen keyboard by clicking the top left button.
    Should also mention that it was mostly my bro who figured this out. If anyone wants to add him on onlive his username is elementom88.
    Tell me now that this phone wasn't worth the price?