Question Only problems when trying to disable Encryption in any way possible

Search This thread

dreamytom

Dec 30, 2018
Herford
Xiaomi Poco F3
Hey, I've posted this on Reddit in r/AndroidQuestions, r/LinuxQuestions & in the Xiaomi.eu Forum, but those threads haven't gotten much traction. Whatever I try, I'm simply unable to disable the Force-Encryption.

Basically, Disable_Dm-Verity_Force-Encrypt.zip by Zackptg5 and Disable-Force-Encrypt ZIPs from other sources, they all don't work. They all error out in TWRP. Unable to mount '/mnt/vendor/spunvm/'

TWRP Screenshot with error: https://i.imgur.com/KQkPqNp.png

So I tried disabling Encryption manually, by modifying /vendor/etc/fstab.qcom and removing the text (mount-argument) that causes AES-256 Encryption. However I can't edit the file, because the filesystem /vendor is read-only, and I can't get it to be read-write! Neither with TWRP Terminal, nor ADB Shell.

I think that's the same problem these ZIPs are having.

Things I've tried:
Using Xiaomi.eu Custom ROM, Flashing Force-Encrypt.zip before/after Magisk, Not using Magisk at all, Re-flashing Stock ROM and flashing Force-Encrypt and/or Magisk directly after Flash (before the first Android Boot), manually editing fstab.qcom (Can't paste modified fstab), Setting /vendor as read-write (doesn't work, Invalid Argument)

I appreciate any tip for this! I've been on this for over a week, and I'm not giving this sh*t up. 🤍
Perhaps anyone of you have an idea what is going on?

I'm sure I have this problem, because of the new A/B Partition Layout. ;(

Threads where I asked the same question:

I've attached TWRP's Recovery.log. It contains the mounting errors.
(Sorry for the embedded Reddit crap, I can't turn this off)

Last edited:

Greenspoof

May 28, 2020
Belgique
Hey, I've posted this on Reddit in r/AndroidQuestions, r/LinuxQuestions & in the Xiaomi.eu Forum, but those threads haven't gotten much traction. Whatever I try, I'm simply unable to disable the Force-Encryption.

Basically, Disable_Dm-Verity_Force-Encrypt.zip by Zackptg5 and Disable-Force-Encrypt ZIPs from other sources, they all don't work. They all error out in TWRP. Unable to mount '/mnt/vendor/spunvm/'

So I tried disabling Encryption manually, by modifying /vendor/etc/fstab.qcom and removing the text (mount-argument) that causes AES-256 Encryption. However I can't edit the file, because the filesystem /vendor is read-only, and I can't get it to be read-write! Neither with TWRP Terminal, nor ADB Shell.

Things I've tried:
Using Xiaomi.eu Custom ROM, Flashing Force-Encrypt.zip before/after Magisk, Not using Magisk at all, Re-flashing Stock ROM and flashing Force-Encrypt and/or Magisk directly after Flash (before the first Android Boot), manually editing fstab.qcom (Can't paste modified fstab), Setting /vendor as read-write (doesn't work, Invalid Argument)

I appreciate any tip for this! I've been on this for over a week, and I'm not giving this sh*t up. 🤍

You could try this :

It's a script that allow write in root. You can install it via twrp or via Termux/ADB. Right know, I couldn't make it work because of a error during the script, I'm waiting for the Dev answer. But other peoples made it work on Poco f3.
There is a complete guide on the post. There is too a another tool you can try linked on the same post if the script don't work.

Reactions: dreamytom

dreamytom

Dec 30, 2018
Herford
Xiaomi Poco F3
Have you tried flashing the zips in AOSP recovery sideload? The problem you are facing is because TWRP is not fully completed yet.
Ok. Apparently, I can use ADB Sideload when I boot into the Poco F3 Stock Recovery and select "Connect to Mi Assistant/Mi Suite", however every time I try to sideload a ZIP, it reboots instantly. I can probably forget that.

dreamytom

Dec 30, 2018
Herford
Xiaomi Poco F3
You could try this :

It's a script that allow write in root. You can install it via twrp or via Termux/ADB. Right know, I couldn't make it work because of a error during the script, I'm waiting for the Dev answer. But other peoples made it work on Poco f3.
There is a complete guide on the post. There is too a another tool you can try linked on the same post if the script don't work.
Thank you for your link, I checked it out 2 days ago & tried to get it working. I've seen your comment there! We both have the same phone, but I didn't have the Error 70. I checked out your files, and the error says "you don't have enough storage".

@lebigmac made a comment with Shell Commands that might work for you (This link points to the comment):

As for me, I wasn't able to use the script in TWRP, "Error Signal: 6". However I was able to execute the script manually in Android. I got a super_fixed.bin. I need to figure out how to manually flash it.

Edit: I flashed super_fixed.bin with fastboot flash super super_fixed.bin. Now I can finally mount partitions like /vendor as read-write, but now my phone doesn't boot to System anymore. That's disappointing. I'm close to giving up & just using my phone as encrypted.

Last edited:

Greenspoof

May 28, 2020
Belgique
Thank you for your link, I checked it out 2 days ago & tried to get it working. I've seen your comment there! We both have the same phone, but I didn't have the Error 70. I checked out your files, and the error says "you don't have enough storage".

@lebigmac made a comment with Shell Commands that might work for you (This link points to the comment):

As for me, I wasn't able to use the script in TWRP, "Error Signal: 6". However I was able to execute the script manually in Android. I got a super_fixed.bin. I need to figure out how to manually flash it.

Edit: I flashed super_fixed.bin with fastboot flash super super_fixed.bin. Now I can finally mount partitions like /vendor as read-write, but now my phone doesn't boot to System anymore. That's disappointing. I'm close to giving up & just using my phone as encrypted.
From what I understood with my little knowledge, it's not a problem of storage (I have like 190 GB free) but a problem of compressing cow image to fit inside the super partition. Like mine doesn't compress during the script. And I saw his comment but there is a lot of variable inside his line, and I'm not a pro lol. He is working right know of a version for the script which will skip cow related file. I still could try if I loose patience lol. Someone tried his line I think but he got a error, he flashed anyway the super partition obtained by the script and got stock to bootloop. Are you still stuck in bootloop (that's what you meant by didn't boot to system?)? If so you can try this :

adb pull /data/local/tmp/makesysrw_1.29/files/super/super_original.bin

adb reboot bootloader

fastboot flash super super_original.bin

It restore the original super partition, just change makesysrw_1.29 to systemsysrw_1.31d.

Btw maybe wait for his next version script?
And if you still want to try, he linked a tool on his first page but it's beyond my knowledge.
Oh and thx you to pointed me out his comment, save me a lot of time to search it.
(Sorry for my poor choice of word, English isn't my native language)
Don't abandon it, like I said, someone else successfully did it on his Poco f3 so it should be possible for us too ! Do you want to try the 1.29 version maybe ? I have the files

X0PIRAT3

Dec 1, 2019

Things I've tried:

Try EliteRom, system R/W activated and it's MIUI.
Then try disable ForceEncryption ;)

dreamytom

Dec 30, 2018
Herford
Xiaomi Poco F3
Try EliteRom, system R/W activated and it's MIUI.
Then try disable ForceEncryption ;)
Doesn't work.
Pasting modified fstab.qcom doesn't work.
/vendor read-only & can't be mounted read-write ("Invalid Argument", is this ROM seriously RW?).
Force-Encrypt.zip throws the same error it always did. Error 1: Can't mount /mnt/vendor/spunvm

Jesus Christ, what is this shiiit.

It's like I'm having a bad spell and am not supposed to disable the damn Encryption, but rather something's telling me to go f myself.

Note:
The SystemRW-script works for me to set partitions RW, however System can't boot and flashing Force-Encrypt.zip still errors out. With that script I was able to finally edit fstab.qcom, but I've got all these other errors. >_> F'king hell.

Edit: Perhaps I should also note that I can't even backup my fricking /data with TWRP. createTarFork() process ended with ERROR: 255 It's very noticable that TWRP for this device is early Beta and got a lot of bugs.

I'm done though. Screw this. I'll leave the damned Encryption enabled. The software for my Galaxy Note 8 didn't have all these issues...

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Have you tried flashing the zips in AOSP recovery sideload? The problem you are facing is because TWRP is not fully completed yet.

Things I've tried:

You could try this :