only solution to make fire tablets fast that I found

Search This thread

iuyals

Mar 16, 2019
Fire are so cheap, that's great,but it's so slow even for normal task.
Long time ago,I have found the performance Bottleneck
Of fire is RAM,not CPU,at least for daily normal use like browser web.when I open more than 3 app like chrome videos music play store,the fire become so slow even get stuck, that's really bad.so the problem is It run out of RAM.it only has 1.7G ram for hd 10 and 1.4g for hd 7 or 8. That's really small today.here is solution I found , it's amazing efficient,really make your fire usable even you run many many apps simultaneously.
One word is "swap".
Swap can make you disk storage to be used as RAM,we know disk is slower than RAM,but as I have test, it's OK,you can do it. : )
First get your fire rooted
Next download a terminal I recommend termux,a powerful tool.
Open temux,now you can run many Linux command on you ,run following command:
su
dd if=/dev/zero of=swap bs=200m count=20
mkswap swap
swapon swap

you will creat 200m*20 about 3.5G ram,also,it takes up the same amount storage,but it worth.
to check if you turn on swap run follow command:
exit
free -m

You'll see you ram status include swap
if you dont ru su before,you dont need exit command beacause you are normal user
swap make big diff experience on you fire, now try it
i can run firefox snd chrome and many app at same time at a acceptable speed.amazing!!!

you will

Last edited:

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
Of fire is RAM,not CPU,at least for daily normal use like browser web.when I open more than 3 app like chrome videos music play store,the fire become so slow even get stuck, that's really bad.so the problem is It run out of RAM.it only has 1.7G ram for hd 10 and 1.4g for hd 7 or 8. That's really small today.here is solution I found , it's amazing efficient,really make your fire usable even you run many many apps simultaneously.
One word is "swap".
Swap can make you disk storage to be used as RAM,we know disk is slower than RAM,but as I have test, it's OK,you can do it. : )
su
mkswap swap
swapon swap

you will creat 200m*20 about 3.5G ram,also,it takes up the same amount storage,but it worth.
exit
free -m

if you dont ru su before,you dont need exit command beacause you are normal user
i can run firefox snd chrome and many app at same time at a acceptable speed.amazing!!!

you will
Yes, adding a static swap file and adjusting 'swappiness' can make a huge difference in responsiveness, especially when multitasking and after wake from extended sleep when many apps attempt to resync. The file does not need to be large and can be placed in the cache partition if desired.

My recommendations:
- 256MB static swap file
- set swappiness to 10
- leave ZRAM swap intact if present
- (optional) set ZRAM priority higher than static file to favor ZRAM storage

Also no need to use obsecure terminal commands. The free app Apps2SD easily handed swap file creation and management.

Reactions: iuyals

Dan_firehd

Sep 14, 2017
Yes, adding a static swap file and adjusting 'swappiness' can make a huge difference in responsiveness, ...

My recommendations:
- 256MB static swap file
- set swappiness to 10

Also no need to use obsecure terminal commands. The free app Apps2SD easily handed swap file creation and management.

Which "Apps2SD" does one download? There are quite a few apps with similar name "App2SD".

Is this the one ?
https://www.apps2sd.info/features
https://play.google.com/store/apps/...rce=Website&utm_medium=Home&utm_campaign=Home

Thank you.

Last edited:

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
Last edited:

iuyals

Mar 16, 2019
Oh, thanks so much,you introduce me zram, which a More amazing concept,as I have test,it has better performance than swap,now I change to zram,thx,it's better to my disk
its so good to share,bc i get a better one : )

Last edited:

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
Does anyone know the PROS and CONS, as far as ZRAM is concerned, between Apps2SD and RAMExpander?

See the following post about RAMExpander:
https://forum.xda-developers.com/hd8-hd10/general/best-optimization-hack-experience-t3730239

Thanks.
Apples and oranges. Apps2SD is simply a tool that provides GUI for defining and managing static swap files. RAMExpander appears to do the same thing with predefined (and excessive IMO) values. ZRAM is a seperate beast that is best left alone unless one is familiar with Virtual Memory Management and the various interactions that take place between tuneables.

DKXC

Jul 5, 2018
-- I accidentally posted in the wrong thread, sry --

Last edited:

Oco

Oct 21, 2012
Yes, adding a static swap file and adjusting 'swappiness' can make a huge difference in responsiveness, especially when multitasking and after wake from extended sleep when many apps attempt to resync. The file does not need to be large and can be placed in the cache partition if desired.

My recommendations:
- 256MB static swap file
- set swappiness to 10

Is this (attachment) ok?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2019-03-23-21-48-37.png
    Screenshot_2019-03-23-21-48-37.png
    38.7 KB · Views: 910

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
Is this (attachment) ok?
That works! Don't expect miracles. Still a low resource gizmo; reading/writting to static swap is magnitudes slower than memory based zram. But it does allow the OS to swap when needed without thrashing. Setting swappiness to 10 encourages the retention of processes in memory while reducing the chance of exhusting available swap space. If that happens the device will become a complete dog due to thrashing on slow file based swap; a reboot will fix things up.

Reactions: Oco

Oco

Oct 21, 2012
That works! Don't expect miracles. Still a low resource gizmo; reading/writting to static swap is magnitudes slower than memory based zram. But it does allow the OS to swap when needed without thrashing. Setting swappiness to 10 encourages the retention of processes in memory while reducing the chance of exhusting available swap space. If that happens the device will become a complete dog due to thrashing on slow file based swap; a reboot will fix things up.
Thanks, is this the same for fire 8 and fire 7?

Last edited:

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
Yep with caveats. Haven't messed with Fire 8 (2018) virtual memory as stock settings/performance are adequate for my current needs. Wake lag on the HD 8 is non-existent with my app portfolio which was the driver for adding a static swap file on the Fire 7. As a general rule I avoid turning knobs and dials unless there is a benefit that offsets the effort and potential side-effects.

Last edited:
Reactions: TNSMANI

TNSMANI

Senior Moderator / RC-RT Committee
Staff member
Jan 8, 2014
Chennai
OnePlus 9 Pro
Yep with caveats. Haven't messed with Fire 8 (2018) virtual memory as stock settings/performance are adequate for my current needs. Wake lag on the HD 8 is non-existent with my app portfolio which was the driver for adding a static swap file on the Fire 7. As a general rule I avoid turning knobs and dials unless there is a benefit that offsets the effort and potential side-effects.

Agreed. While I have no experience with other Fire tabs, the Fire 8 HD 2018 is way better than I expected after reading some of the threads in this forum. I have now disabled the major bloats but find no big difference in either speed or battery drain.

Reactions: DB126

Animate Blade

May 2, 2021
Hi guys. I am late to this thread, of course.
Can anyone tell me how to root the fire 7 9th gen which runs on version 7.3.1.8?
I see that the fire 7 can run way faster because of the methods above but my device can't be rooted because it seems it can't be rooted by where I looked to root it.

kwanbis

Apr 19, 2010
The Internets
Does it work? Did you have experience of it? I'll see though and come back With some info on it.
I just flashed LineageOS 12.1 on my two FireHD10. The first one I had blocked the OTA updates so I was able to install TWRP following this guide:

But for the second one, I had forgotten to block the OTA updates so the first step which requires root was not working. I used kingroot to root it first and then followed the guide I posted above.

I did the soft brick to downgrade and then I installed LineageOS 12.1

I did it 2 or 3 days ago.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    One word is "swap".
    su
    mkswap swap
    swapon swap

exit
    free -m

you will
    One word is "swap".
    su
    mkswap swap
    swapon swap

exit
    free -m

you will

My recommendations:
    - 256MB static swap file
    - set swappiness to 10

Is this (attachment) ok?

Agreed. While I have no experience with other Fire tabs, the Fire 8 HD 2018 is way better than I expected after reading some of the threads in this forum. I have now disabled the major bloats but find no big difference in either speed or battery drain.