• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Onn Surf 7" gen 2 on sale for 28$ today. Bought one... Was able to unlock bootloader

Search This thread

jason7246

Apr 14, 2016
Went ahead and picked one up today. I dumped every partition.

The /system partition is now part of "super" with the addition of Dynamic Partitions. I have everything dumped here on the latest OTA:

So that's why the super file that i seen when i pulled the rom off my device was so big, i thought that MIGHT be the case but wasn't sure and didn't want to take a chance until i knew for sure, huh interesting. So, just to confirm, to fix/flash system is actually just flashing super?

Dec 6, 2020
Anybody wanting to remove the "Orange State" warning message for this device can be done by flashing the file below...

https://gofile.io/d/lHeirr

And use the vbmeta.img that @thecaptain0220 uploaded
If I get you the lk.bin file for my 10.1" version as well do you think you could patch that? Or see if they are identical?

Here's a link to the lk.bin for the 100003562

Any help appreciated. Thanks!

Okiera29

Apr 18, 2014
Oklahoma City
Any idea how to get twrp made for this?
That is gonna be a stretch. I keep looking at the Amazon Fire tablets as they seem to be a close match in hardware. Thinking if somebody comes up with TWRP or other things for that one, we might be able to port it over to our tablets. Biggest issue is going to be getting the proprietary files as MediaTek seems a bit tight with that kind of stuff

jason7246

Apr 14, 2016
That is gonna be a stretch. I keep looking at the Amazon Fire tablets as they seem to be a close match in hardware. Thinking if somebody comes up with TWRP or other things for that one, we might be able to port it over to our tablets. Biggest issue is going to be getting the proprietary files as MediaTek seems a bit tight with that kind of stuff
Is it possible to modify the twrp made for the older onn 8" thats on here, and just change the files to reflect this tablet? Just spitting ideas at this point

Okiera29

Apr 18, 2014
Oklahoma City
Is it possible to modify the twrp made for the older onn 8" thats on here, and just change the files to reflect this tablet? Just spitting ideas at this point
I don't believe that it will work that way. I don't think the file structure is the same between that tablet's OS and this one. Somebody smarter than I will have to work that out.

Okiera29

Apr 18, 2014
Oklahoma City
I tried the AOSP Android 10 GSI for ARM-aonly-vanilla, it didn't boot sadly.
did you flash vbmeta? I have done a ton of reading today on Android GSIs and it seems that if your device has boot verify, as ours does, you can't just flash a GSI. I downloaded the Anroid 11 GSI and I am going to try renaming it 'Super.img' and flashing it and disabling verify to see if it will boot.

Okiera29

Apr 18, 2014
Oklahoma City
Ok, never mind. I have done even more reading and it seems like the issue may be that our chip is seen as a 32 bit chip by android. I ran the Treble Check App and while it said that we are treble supported and A only, it showed the chip as an Arm32 device. This might be why the Android 10 GSI you tried didn't work. Gonna do some looking around for an Android 10 Go GSI and see if I can find one to try out

Okiera29

Apr 18, 2014
Oklahoma City
Screwing around with this tablet on a snowday. I erased super using fastboot and then reflashed using the dump provided earlier. The fastboot flash of 'Super' was successful, but now the OS is upside down and the touch screen is reversed. Gonna play some more and see what happens. I have SP tools in case I brick it LOL I will say, it takes a bit of time to flash super. I am flashing a stock Android 10 GSI right now to see how bad I kill the tablet LOL
Tytydraco's dump from earlier in the thread made my tablet think it was an A varient and not the E that it is. I pulled the super file from the good E varient I have and if it fixes mine, I will post it here in case others mess theirs up too

Last edited:

Okiera29

Apr 18, 2014
Oklahoma City
Ok, if you have the E variant and you bugger up your tablet. Here is the super.img file to fix it. Just flash with fastboot. fastboot flash super super.img and that will make you right as rain.

I will work on pulling the rest of the rom later this week

chrismoo

Jun 1, 2006
Well mine is toast I think. No fashion of button mashing will get anything up on the screen or anything that SP Flash or Fastboot to invoke so I can try and push content back to recover the tablet.

Okiera29

Apr 18, 2014
Oklahoma City
Well mine is toast I think. No fashion of button mashing will get anything up on the screen or anything that SP Flash or Fastboot to invoke so I can try and push content back to recover the tablet.
I think if you just let it sit it will eventually power off. It has to be turned off for SP Flash to see it. Let it sit for a couple days and then try pushing all the files with SP Flash. Just remember to get everything ready to push before you plug in your tablet.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Went ahead and picked one up today. I dumped every partition.

The /system partition is now part of "super" with the addition of Dynamic Partitions. I have everything dumped here on the latest OTA:

Oh, I also intercepted the OTA to the latest patch. It contained the stock vbmeta.img as well as a sparse map.

ok, here is the link to what i was able to pull as a rom from my tablet(100015685-A), however there is still no system.img, im not sure what im missing as far as that goes. i am not sure though that the files that are linked have my personal info or not, so if it does, PLEASE delete my info when you are aware of it. also i pulled an as is rom as well which seemed to have more files in it, so if you think you need something else, i might be able to help.

@jason7246 remove the userdata.img from your uploads and you should be ok
    You all have been a ton of help! I really can't express that enough.

I was able to get mine rooted and working great after my inexperience led me to repeat every single mistake here so far haha! But now I screwed up again. Has anyone been able to get the system.img?

I had everything working and I messed with the build.prop file. I went to save it and it erased it completely. I had a saved copy but my file manager wouldn't allow me to copy it over. I still consider myself a novice at all this.

It rebooted and now is just stuck at the logo splash screen. All I can think is it's from the build.prop file missing or corrupted since that's all I changed. Does anyone have a copy of that I can share? Along with better instructions for how to push it over to the system folder?

The other problem I ran in to is that ADB no longer recognizes my device. Fastboot does, but ADB does not. I am thoroughly lost. A complete reset would be wonderful at this point.

Thanks for any help you have. I'm new here.
    I'm with you, I think I need that SYSTEM.IMG file, mine is back to being a black brick again after the Orange State boot loop again - ugh!