OOS 12 - should I upgrade?

Search This thread

edofot

May 10, 2015
Zagreb
OnePlus 8
Hey guys,

I got the popup to update to Android/OOS 12 on my Oneplus 8 (Europe/BA variant) recently and I've been thinking - should I do it? Some other forums say it's a total dumpster fire but I'm not sure if it's just irrational hate. I'm being prompted to download IN2013_11.C.16_1160_202204222304 so this isn't the first version. I'm satisfied with the current performance of my phone for now but I'm trying to find out for the future.

Are there any game-breaking bugs or battery life concerns?

Sorry if it's been posted before, I couldn't find this topic. Thanks--

-PaRRoT-

Jan 12, 2008
Stay away from it. it's real crap.
Your phone will be slower, many gestures will be slowed down and you will regret the update very soon. Also the latest versions have big problems with Google sync, you will not receive notifications and updates from Google applications.

Reactions: sp5it

alan sh

Nov 2, 2007
Rochdale
If you have wifi calling turned on don't upgrade. It's gone in v12.

Other than that, I find things seem to work. Some of the notification sounds have changed, but it's easily fixed.

Alan

Reactions: sp5it

crashfly

Oct 7, 2009
Not sure about all of the haters on here, but wifi calling is still available on Android/OOS12. Also, google notifications work fine. I have been using a rooted stock rom on 12 and it has been working well. My only issue is that I lost root with this latest update, but Android 12 is pretty solid.

alan sh

Nov 2, 2007
Rochdale
Not sure about all of the haters on here, but wifi calling is still available on Android/OOS12. Also, google notifications work fine. I have been using a rooted stock rom on 12 and it has been working well. My only issue is that I lost root with this latest update, but Android 12 is pretty solid.

How do you get at wifi calling? In my UK phone, it's not there.

Alan

crashfly

Oct 7, 2009
I just read the first post again, and I am on the global version, so that may be the difference.

For me:
Settings -> Mobile network -> Select sim card with number [Square at the top] -> Wi-Fi Calling

Specifically on the SIM info & settings page, I see the following:
Enable {selector}
SIM name
SIM number
Data roaming {selector}
VoLTE calls {selector}
Wi-fi Calling {sub menu}
Preferred network type
Access point names
Carrier

Maybe that will help.

ryantek

May 2, 2011
Atlanta
I did the upgrade about two months ago, and let me tell you is a mess. Stay away from it. Ghost touches, the screen goes ON for no reason, plenty of issues. To me OnePlus has lost its course, this will probably be my last OnePlus device.

edofot

May 10, 2015
Zagreb
OnePlus 8
I did the upgrade about two months ago, and let me tell you is a mess. Stay away from it. Ghost touches, the screen goes ON for no reason, plenty of issues. To me OnePlus has lost its course, this will probably be my last OnePlus device.
Oh yeah, this is definitely my last OnePlus device too, on that we can surely agree. With the price hikes they're just not an option anymore, in stark contrast to before when they were my undisputed #1 pick.
They used to do software, pricing and performance extremely well, now they don't do either one right, and nothing has really improved in the last 2+ years.
I just want to use this phone "securely" until it falls apart cause I'm very happy with it right now.
Even after two years of heavy use it still works flawlessly and the battery is still very good.

ryantek

May 2, 2011
Atlanta
I have a long thread about it on the Oneplus support site. Buggy software is pretty common these days, but having a release that has so many bugs in it, is troublesome, to say the least. I have contacted OnePlus support and their solution is for me to wipe the phone - like that is going to fix anything?
Not to criticize, but I think OnePlus has lost it, Support does not have a clue, and nobody that can provide answers is reading the forums or paying attention to what the community and users are saying and going thru with their devices.
Is not only the OP8 that is having upgrade issues, the other models too are plagued with buggy software too.
What the least should do is to acknowledge it, Put a communication out, in the proper channels admit that there have been errors and if you are working on it provide a timeline and that is what a reputable company does. By not doing anything, their reputation is going down the drain, the users are left scrambling trying to get a usable phone.

alan sh

Nov 2, 2007
Rochdale
I just read the first post again, and I am on the global version, so that may be the difference.

For me:
Settings -> Mobile network -> Select sim card with number [Square at the top] -> Wi-Fi Calling

Specifically on the SIM info & settings page, I see the following:
Enable {selector}
SIM name
SIM number
Data roaming {selector}
VoLTE calls {selector}
Wi-fi Calling {sub menu}
Preferred network type
Access point names
Carrier

Maybe that will help.
NO I don't have VoLTE or WI-fi Calling. I'm on the EU version (in the UK).

Badd_blood

Dec 24, 2011
I haven't had any major issues, but the OS feels much more clunky designed and sluggish to me. There are a few designs I like more, but the update doesn't seem worth it. Also somehow using up much more of my storage space. It says I have 51GB of apps when the total is more like 10-15GB, and 30GB used for system/other.

Two Sheets

Jan 11, 2022
I just updated my OnePlus 8. I have had Android 12 on it for a few months. It did feel clunky. I just updated it with a 1GB update to OS12. It has greatly improved the performance of the phone. It feels like the original out of box phone now.

I am on global rom and the release landed within the last 3 or 4 days.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Stay away from it. it's real crap.
    Your phone will be slower, many gestures will be slowed down and you will regret the update very soon. Also the latest versions have big problems with Google sync, you will not receive notifications and updates from Google applications.
    If you have wifi calling turned on don't upgrade. It's gone in v12.

Other than that, I find things seem to work. Some of the notification sounds have changed, but it's easily fixed.

Alan