OOS stable for Oneplus 6T Global
This thread is an attempt to make things clean for OP6T users.
It will contain latest zip links for OOS stable.
It will contain a brief guide on how to root, install TWRP , how to update with or without those elements.
6T global edition is supported by thread readers and me, and T Mobile converted specific concerns will be handled by community under the supervision of @Scott, thanks to him for the help.
It will not contain basics like ADB and Fastboot connection with a computer. Experiment, read, there are many and many tutorials on the internet for that. Don’t forget there is a world outside XDA and that you can perform a search on any search engine to grab information.
It will not cover by decision the ‘patching boot.img’ method for gaining root. It’s not necessary to use it when we have a working TWRP and Fastboot. If you want to try it search on the internet about ‘extracting boot.img from payload.bin’ and then use Magisk Manager to patch it.
Please NO discussion about: Magisk itself, custom kernels, debloating (whatever method you want to use), custom ROMS… Only STOCK STABLE OOS.
If you just want to flash custom kernels, no need to have TWRP, Ex Kernel Manager and Franco Kernel Manager for example can take care of that (see Play Store to grab those apps), and backup your stock kernel.
ALWAYS USE LATEST VERSIONS of the different tools used. Don’t ask for help if you’re using 6 months old TWRP or Magisk. Update it first.
First a bit of what I have understood about our phone, and its main specificity, i.e A/B slots.
A/B slots, what else ?
This structure is meant to enable to have two different versions of the SAME ROM, one slot will contain the previous version of the ROM, the other slot will contain the updated one. If you are on slot A and running 10.3.0, the update process will lead to have 10.3.0 on slot A and 10.3.1 on slot B. On next boot the bootloader will automatically boot updated one (i.e slot B will be flagged as the active one). In case of issues during boot process the bootloader will switch the active slot back to the ‘old’ version(here slot A) that was booting fine.
This means that IT’S NOT a dual boot feature!! If you want to run a custom ROM it’s better to have the same custom ROM on both slots and not a mix of OOS and custom ROM. But that’s already OT so let’s stay focus, each custom ROM should provide clear instructions about that.
Having a slot phone means that there is no Recovery partition. So if you ‘fastboot flash boot twrp.img’ it will overwrite your boot partition and thus the ROM kernel and can lead to issues. The .img file is only meant to be temporarly booted. Recovery (stock or TWRP) is a part of the boot ramdisk.
Some simple facts about slots and flashing in TWRP:
- Flashing a whole ROM (OOS for example) will automatically flash it to the currently inactive slot and switch it to be the active one (that works also with stock recovery, when performing a ‘local update’)
- Flashing a ROM overwrites completely the boot partition (in recent Android versions, flashing process is using partition RAW images and not files like it was before): that means that TWRP and Magisk (if present) will be ERASED.
- Flashing TWRP installer will flash it AUTOMATICALLY ON BOTH SLOTS (and will erase Magisk if present)
- Magisk (and GAPPS but it only applies to custom ROMs), when flashed with TWRP is only flashed in ACTIVE slot. That’s why you must REBOOT to recovery BEFORE flashing Magisk to have it installed on the active updated slot. And that explains why you must flash it last.
- That said, if you stay on OOS, YOU DON’T care about slots, just remember those basics to understand why you have to respect some steps, and let the recovery take care of slots. Messing manually with them results often in soft bricks
OOS stable full signed zips: thanks to @Some_Random_Username, @Titokhan, @trollavin (their thread here)
If the above doesn’t work anymore just let me know I’ll find something else.
FYI you can still go to Oneplus website but they take time to update it to latest version… And there is no archives.
OOS Stable thread support, ROM for the OnePlus 6T
ROM OS Version: Android 10
ROM Kernel: Linux 4.x
Last Updated 2020-02-06