[OOS][Stable][OP6T Global][OP6T Tmobile] Oneplus 6T stable OOS guide thread

Search This thread

TomiLynch

Jan 31, 2017
Google Nexus 5
OnePlus 3
Best way to updated to 10 is to update to 10.0.0 (maybe .0.1) Then go for 10.3.x. That's how I updated.
I don't really get that.
If you were an average user, with a stock phone, locked bootloader and absolutely no clue of what rooting a phone means, and for some reason you happen to still be on 9.0.16 or 17, the OTA would update your system straight to 10.3.3.

So why would it be any different with an unlocked bootloader or even root?
Having an unlocked bootloader forces the updater to download the full rom, instead of the incremental update, meaning there should be even less of an issue.

fogame

I don't really get that.
If you were an average user, with a stock phone, locked bootloader and absolutely no clue of what rooting a phone means, and for some reason you happen to still be on 9.0.16 or 17, the OTA would update your system straight to 10.3.3.

So why would it be any different with an unlocked bootloader or even root?
Having an unlocked bootloader forces the updater to download the full rom, instead of the incremental update, meaning there should be even less of an issue.
Correct, but sometimes not having the correct bootloader can cause issues. I had to firehouse my phone back to 9.0.17 and do the update to 10.0.0 to get the proper bootloader files then go to 10.3.3

TomiLynch

Jan 31, 2017
Google Nexus 5
OnePlus 3
Correct, but sometimes not having the correct bootloader can cause issues. I had to firehouse my phone back to 9.0.17 and do the update to 10.0.0 to get the proper bootloader files then go to 10.3.3
I wonder how an average user should act if this happens to him. It seems like you have to be a well informed tech enthusiast to update your phone...

I'm not saying you're wrong. I'm honestly wondering what one would do in that totally possible situation.

EricSteehl

Nov 6, 2018
Göteborg
I followed the steps in this guide yesterday and it worked brilliantly. I've missed having my phone rooted.
Thanks for a short and easy to follow guide!

..Cory..

Apr 26, 2012
Iowa
HTC One X
Google Nexus 4
New update, anyone else get it?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200528-220412.jpg
    Screenshot_20200528-220412.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 301
Unable to root 6T, gets stuck on Fastboot Mode Flash screen or Bootloader message

ROOTING (+/- TWRP)

Magisk zip is to be found here
TWRP latest .img and installer are to be found here
Don’t use all-in-one tools, you’re a grown up person you can to it by yourself. Yes you can.

If you're not rooted and run an OOS version older than 10.3.1, update your phone normally to latest OOS stable version then do as below

If you’re not rooted and running 10.3.1 or higher, those are the simplest steps to gain root.

Unlock your bootloader (will wipe everything…): “fastboot oem unlock” from a computer (see beginning of OP to know why I don’t detail this) with phone in fastboot mode
Grab latest Magisk zip on your phone and latest TWRP .img on your computer (AND TWRP installer .zip on your phone if you want to install TWRP permanently). Boot in fastboot mode your phone.

Then :
  • “fastboot boot twrp_latest.img” (adapt to the name and path of your twrp file)
  • within TWRP, flash TWRP installer .zip if you want to keep TWRP
  • flash Magisk zip (always AFTER flashing TWRP)
Reboot
(you can theoretically use the TWRP feature ‘install recovery ramdisk’ to avoid flashing twrp installer but never tested)

Note: please STOP using blue_spark TWRP!!! Support for OP6T has been stopped long time ago, only OP6 twrp is still actively supported by eng.stk (errors are mandatory if you flash it on 6t). I even see people that use a 3.2.x version of blue_spark...

Hi, I bought a refurbished OnePlus 6T the other day and I am unable to root it. If I detail where I am I hope you can help me:

Installed all OnePlus USB drivers
Installed new Fastboot and ADB drivers

Setup phone
I run all system updates to get me to OOS 10.3.3
I enable dev mode
Enter developer options
Enable OEM unlock
Enable USB Debugging
Enable Advanced Reboot

Reboot into Bootloader
Using adb:
Confirm it sees my device with fastboot devices
Yes
Unlock OEM with fastboot oem unlock
Enable bootloader

Reboot phone
Run setup again
Enable USB debugging again

Up until here things go fine

Reboot into bootloader
Yes

Run fastboot boot twrp-3.3.1-1-fajita.img (twrp-3.3.1-1-fajita.img being the latest TWRP I can see for the fajita build)

Nothing
Phone sits on Fastboot Mode flashscreen and does nothing
If I long power off and restart the device I get stuck on the bootloader warning screen as above and the phone just hangs and hangs
Cannot boot into TWRP as flashing the img seems to brick the phone
Unable to access recovery to flash TWRP or Magisk (both zips on the phone)

I then have to run the MSM Download tool to reset the phone and start all over again.

I can't see I am doing anything wrong (still, I am no expert and have to always follow guides) and have done this 4 or 5 times now

Looking at the info above I ran the getvar command and my phone comes back as using current-slot a

PS C:\adb> fastboot getvar current-slot
current-slot: a
Finished. Total time: 0.003s
PS C:\adb>

Do I need to run fastboot flash boot_a twrp-3.3.1-1-fajita.img to ensure the img is being flashed to the correct slot?

I really want to use the phone but want to get onto LineageOS before I do as I don't want any Google crap on there at all where it can be avoided.

I hope this gives you enough info to help - I am really stuck at the moment!

Thanks

Simon

Hi, I bought a refurbished OnePlus 6T the other day and I am unable to root it. If I detail where I am I hope you can help me:

Installed all OnePlus USB drivers
Installed new Fastboot and ADB drivers

Setup phone
I run all system updates to get me to OOS 10.3.3
I enable dev mode
Enter developer options
Enable OEM unlock
Enable USB Debugging
Enable Advanced Reboot

Reboot into Bootloader
Using adb:
Yes
Unlock OEM with fastboot oem unlock
Enable bootloader

Reboot phone
Run setup again
Enable USB debugging again

Up until here things go fine

Reboot into bootloader
Yes

Run fastboot boot twrp-3.3.1-1-fajita.img (twrp-3.3.1-1-fajita.img being the latest TWRP I can see for the fajita build)

Nothing
Phone sits on Fastboot Mode flashscreen and does nothing
If I long power off and restart the device I get stuck on the bootloader warning screen as above and the phone just hangs and hangs
Cannot boot into TWRP as flashing the img seems to brick the phone
Unable to access recovery to flash TWRP or Magisk (both zips on the phone)

I then have to run the MSM Download tool to reset the phone and start all over again.

I can't see I am doing anything wrong (still, I am no expert and have to always follow guides) and have done this 4 or 5 times now

Looking at the info above I ran the getvar command and my phone comes back as using current-slot a

PS C:\adb> fastboot getvar current-slot
current-slot: a
Finished. Total time: 0.003s
PS C:\adb>

Do I need to run fastboot flash boot_a twrp-3.3.1-1-fajita.img to ensure the img is being flashed to the correct slot?

I really want to use the phone but want to get onto LineageOS before I do as I don't want any Google crap on there at all where it can be avoided.

I hope this gives you enough info to help - I am really stuck at the moment!

Thanks

Simon

Use the 3.3.1.32 Q from this thread.

https://xdaforums.com/oneplus-6t/de...official-twrp-touch-recovery-t3861482/page396

Thank you

Thank you, that worked - TWRP and Magisk now installed and phone rooted.

Now onto LineageOS and hoping that doesn't go awry and i have to start all over again!

Thanks again, much appreciated :good:

UPDATE: LineageOS installed - without the Q TWRP I would never have gto here as I have spent HOURS trying to sort this.

Thanks and thanks again

S

Last edited:
Reactions: phaino00

Luife

Nov 15, 2019
Oneplus tmobile from android 10 to 9

Hi, i was sent to this thread regarding this process,

I purchased a oneplus tmobile unlocked on ebay, I requested the bootloader unlock, then i unlocked the bootloader and rooted the phone, 2 nights ago the phone accidentally upgraded to android 10, i rooted the phone again but the features i want i can’t t do it with android 10.

Now, i want to roll back to android 9, and I’ve been looking all over the forum and what I found is that theres a mms tool that can help me but it lock the bootloader and other things, my question are:

If i use the mms tool, it going lock the carrier just to tmobile? Meaning that i cant use my other carrier on the phone and if lock back the bootloader can i use the file they sent me to unlock it in the first place to unlock it again,

Thanks.

rickcarr

Dec 7, 2012
So after installing twrp img thru fastboot and then install twrp zip in recovery can you make a backup of stock room before flashing magisk to root

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    OOS stable for Oneplus 6T Global

This thread is an attempt to make things clean for OP6T users.
    It will contain latest zip links for OOS stable.
    It will contain a brief guide on how to root, install TWRP , how to update with or without those elements.

6T global edition is supported by thread readers and me, and T Mobile converted specific concerns will be handled by community under the supervision of @Scott, thanks to him for the help.

It will not contain basics like ADB and Fastboot connection
    with a computer. Experiment, read, there are many and many tutorials on the internet for that. Don’t forget there is a world outside XDA and that you can perform a search on any search engine to grab information.

It will not cover by decision the ‘patching boot.img’ method for gaining root. It’s not necessary to use it when we have a working TWRP and Fastboot. If you want to try it search on the internet about ‘extracting boot.img from payload.bin’ and then use Magisk Manager to patch it.

Please NO discussion about:
    Magisk itself, custom kernels, debloating (whatever method you want to use), custom ROMS… Only STOCK STABLE OOS.
    If you just want to flash custom kernels, no need to have TWRP, Ex Kernel Manager and Franco Kernel Manager for example can take care of that (see Play Store to grab those apps), and backup your stock kernel.

ALWAYS USE LATEST VERSIONS of the different tools used. Don’t ask for help if you’re using 6 months old TWRP or Magisk. Update it first.
    First a bit of what I have understood about our phone, and its main specificity, i.e A/B slots.

A/B slots, what else ?

This structure is meant to enable to have two different versions of the SAME ROM, one slot will contain the previous version of the ROM, the other slot will contain the updated one. If you are on slot A and running 10.3.0, the update process will lead to have 10.3.0 on slot A and 10.3.1 on slot B. On next boot the bootloader will automatically boot updated one (i.e slot B will be flagged as the active one). In case of issues during boot process the bootloader will switch the active slot back to the ‘old’ version(here slot A) that was booting fine.
    This means that IT’S NOT a dual boot feature!! If you want to run a custom ROM it’s better to have the same custom ROM on both slots and not a mix of OOS and custom ROM. But that’s already OT so let’s stay focus, each custom ROM should provide clear instructions about that.
    Having a slot phone means that there is no Recovery partition. So if you ‘fastboot flash boot twrp.img’ it will overwrite your boot partition and thus the ROM kernel and can lead to issues. The .img file is only meant to be temporarly booted. Recovery (stock or TWRP) is a part of the boot ramdisk.

Some simple facts about slots and flashing in TWRP:
    • Flashing a whole ROM (OOS for example) will automatically flash it to the currently inactive slot and switch it to be the active one (that works also with stock recovery, when performing a ‘local update’)
    • Flashing a ROM overwrites completely the boot partition (in recent Android versions, flashing process is using partition RAW images and not files like it was before): that means that TWRP and Magisk (if present) will be ERASED.
    • Flashing TWRP installer will flash it AUTOMATICALLY ON BOTH SLOTS (and will erase Magisk if present)
    • Magisk (and GAPPS but it only applies to custom ROMs), when flashed with TWRP is only flashed in ACTIVE slot. That’s why you must REBOOT to recovery BEFORE flashing Magisk to have it installed on the active updated slot. And that explains why you must flash it last.
    • That said, if you stay on OOS, YOU DON’T care about slots, just remember those basics to understand why you have to respect some steps, and let the recovery take care of slots. Messing manually with them results often in soft bricks

Downloads

OOS stable full signed zips: thanks to @Some_Random_Username, @Titokhan, @trollavin (their thread here)
    If the above doesn’t work anymore just let me know I’ll find something else.

FYI you can still go to Oneplus website but they take time to update it to latest version… And there is no archives.

XDA:DevDB Information
    OOS Stable thread support, ROM for the OnePlus 6T

Contributors
    Striatum_bdr, Scott
    ROM OS Version: Android 10
    ROM Kernel: Linux 4.x

Version Information

Created 2020-02-05
    Last Updated 2020-02-06
    Rooting

CHANGELOGS

OOS 10.3.4:

• System
      Updated launcher version to 4.1.6
      Updated Android Security Patch to 2020.05
      Improved system stability and fixed general bugs
    • Phone
      Fixed the issue with default country in assisted dialing when SIM2 is in roaming state
      Newly added Work-Life Balance to help prioritize notifications and allocate time wisely (India only)
      Newly added Epic Games in Game Space (India only)

OOS 10.3.3:

• System
      Fixed the issue with a black screen randomly appearing while playing games
      Updated GMS package to 2020.02
      Updated Android Security Patch to 2020.04
      Improved system stability and fixed general bugs
    • Network updates
      Integrated VoLTE & VoWifi support for Telenor – Denmark
      Integrated VoWifi support for RJIO – India
    • Phone
      Newly added OpSoprts features in the shelf
      Added OnePlus Roaming feature: choose a plan without worrying about the SIM card while traveling
    • Cloud Sync updates [India only]
      Updated the CloudService to Version 2.0

OOS 10.3.2:

Changelog 10.3.2
    System

• Fixed the screen flickering issue while swiping up to unlock

• Improved system stability and fixed general bugs

• Updated Android security patch to 2020.02

OOS 10.3.1:

Changelog 10.3.1

System
    • Fixed the issue with a black screen appearing after unlocking the device using fingerprint
    • Fixed the issue with the animation logo while rebooting the device
    • Fixed the issue with device heating up while charging
    • Fixed the random disconnection issue with 5Ghz Hotspot
    • Improved system stability and fixed general bugs
    • Updated Android security patch to 2019.12
    Camera
    • Optimized the image preview time in the Pro mode
    • Fixed the camera crash issue
    Gallery
    • Fixed the issue with videos and images not displaying in Gallery

OOS 10.3.0:

Changelog 10.3.0

System
    • Updated system to Android 10
    • Brand new UI for Android 10
    • Fixed the automatic reboot issue
    • Added the notch area display option in the Settings (Settings - Display - Notch display - Hide the notch area)
    • Fixed the issue with lock screen appearing even after unlocking the device with the password
    • Fixed the issue with Navigation bar after upgrade
    • Fixed the Digital wellbeing option missing in the settings
    • Updated Android security patch to 2019.11
    Fingerprint
    • Fingerprint unlock functionality improvement
    • Enhanced the fingerprint animation
    Camera
    • Camera performance improvement
    Wifi Connectivity
    • Fixed the issue of Wifi connection to 5Ghz networks

OOS 10.0.1:

Changelog 10.0.1

System
    • Updated system to Android 10
    • Brand new UI for Android 10
    • Updated Android security patch to 2019.10
    • Fixed the fingerprint identification issue
    • Fixed the animation lag for fingerprint unlock
    • Fixed the automatic reboot issue after upgrade
    Camera
    • Improved the performance and fixed known issues
    Wifi Connectivity
    • Fixed the 5Ghz WiFi connection

OOS 10.0.0:

Changelog 10.0.0

System
    • Upgraded to Android 10
    • Brand new UI design
    • Enhanced location permissions for privacy
    • New customization feature in Settings allowing you to choose icon shapes to be displayed in the Quick Settings
    • General bug fixes and improvements
    Full Screen Gestures
    • Added inward swipes from the left or right edge of the screen to go back
    • Added a bottom navigation bar to allow switching left or right for recent apps
    Game Space
    • New Game Space feature now joins all your favorite games in one place for easier access and better gaming experience
    Contextual Display
    • Intelligent info based on specific times, locations and events for Ambient Display (Settings - Display - Ambient Display - Contextual Display)
    • Now possible to block spam by keywords for Message (Messages - Spam - Settings - Blocking settings)
    Just an FYI: I will be helping to support the T-Mobile version of the device in this thread.
    UPDATING WITHOUT ROOT

If your bootloader is locked (meaning no root no TWRP, factory state)
    , the update process is trivial, OOS (or Oxygen Updater if you use it) will grab a patch file (around 100MB max usually) and will apply it and will ask you to reboot. Everybody should be able to do this as it’s the normal way every phone on earth updates itself… If major changes are present sometimes you’ll have the whole ROM file. It doesn’t matter anyway it leads to the same destination.

If your bootloader is unlocked but without root, the only difference is that OOS (or Oxygen Updater) will download the WHOLE ROM (around 1.8GB) and will apply it then ask for rebooting

UPDATING WITH ROOT (+/- TWRP)

Whole ROM update is mandatory. You can wait for System Update to download it or grab manually the zip file or use Oxygen updater. You then go in Settings > System > System Update > clic on the upper right cogwheel then choose ‘Local Update’ and select the zip file (If you download the OTA .zip file manually you must place it in the root of user data, like /data/media/0/ i.e the user internal storage, or eventually in the .OTA folder if there's one. If you use Oxygen Updater or System automatic donwload it will be right placed).

The following update method is the preferred one (even if you have TWRP, recommended by some TWRP devs) due to frequent changes in partitions by OnePlus

1. apply the ROM update via Settings > System > System Update > Local Update
    2. DON’T REBOOT
    3. Open Magisk Manager
    4. [If you have TWRP, go in Modules menu, clic on ‘+’ and choose latest TWRP installer zip file on your phone. Don’t use Retention A/B Script Magisk Module I had issues with it] [then stay in Magisk Manager and do the next step]
    5. On main screen of the app clic on ‘install’ next to Magisk paragraph
    6. On the pop up menu confirm ’Install’
    7. On the next pop up menu clic on the last entry: install on inactive slot (after OTA update)
    Then only reboot.

The order can be changed (the most important thing to preserve is Magisk, TWRP is easy to flash back):

• Update without taking care of TWRP, just Magisk part ("install to other slot after OTA thing")
    • Once rebooted to updated system, flash TWRP as a module with Magisk Manager
    • Install Magisk again using Magisk Manager ("direct install" option)

There are infinite debates about uninstalling or not Magisk Modules before updating. Most of the times nothing to touch, sometimes there could be issues, instead of uninstalling perhaps just inactivate them by precaution before updating.

Note: If you are rooted and run an OOS version older than 10.3.1, the above method should work, but you can also update your ROM to latest stable without taking care of root/TWRP and then root again as described in post #2

If you want to try TWRP way:

• Reboot to TWRP
    • Flash OOS update
    • Flash TWRP installer
    • Reboot to Recovery
    • Flash Magisk
    • Reboot System

IF YOU ARE INTO A SOFT BRICK

Don't forget the Vol+/Vol-/Power_button combo that can save you from a non responding phone...

If you can boot in fastboot mode, flash the stock ROM with fastboot. A little trick is to edit the flash-all-partitions**.bat and remove ‘-w’ (-w means that the partition will be wiped before flashing) from the script, it will prevent personal data wipe. Or flash manually all partitions one by one, without ‘-w’ flag evidently. Some partitions can’t be flashed with fastboot, for that once booted back to OOS, download and install by ‘local update’ method the same ROM version you’ve just restored with fastboot (see the linked thread to know why, emojis issues for example sometimes).
    If you can’t go in fastboot mode, use Oneplus MSM tool. See there and there.
    ROOTING (+/- TWRP)

Magisk zip is to be found here
    TWRP latest .img and installer are to be found here
    Don’t use all-in-one tools, you’re a grown up person you can to it by yourself. Yes you can.

If you're not rooted and run an OOS version older than 10.3.1, update your phone normally to latest OOS stable version then do as below

If you’re not rooted and running 10.3.1 or higher, those are the simplest steps to gain root.

Unlock your bootloader (will wipe everything…): “fastboot oem unlock” from a computer (see beginning of OP to know why I don’t detail this) with phone in fastboot mode
    Grab latest Magisk zip on your phone and latest TWRP .img on your computer (AND TWRP installer .zip on your phone if you want to install TWRP permanently). Boot in fastboot mode your phone.

Then :
    • “fastboot boot twrp_latest.img” (adapt to the name and path of your twrp file)
    • within TWRP, flash TWRP installer .zip if you want to keep TWRP
    • flash Magisk zip (always AFTER flashing TWRP)
    Reboot
    (you can theoretically use the TWRP feature ‘install recovery ramdisk’ to avoid flashing twrp installer but never tested)

Note: please STOP using blue_spark TWRP!!! Support for OP6T has been stopped long time ago, only OP6 twrp is still actively supported by eng.stk (errors are mandatory if you flash it on 6t). I even see people that use a 3.2.x version of blue_spark...